Dizzy and Tommy interview!

Gauda

Guns N' Roses blooms again

The current members of the hard rock group Guns N' Roses acknowledge that following the group's past lineup -- which sold more than 80 million albums worldwide -- is no easy feat.

"There's people in the audience who have 'Where's Slash?' banners or "We Love Slash' or whatever," notes bassist Tommy Stinson, referring to the group's founding guitarist.

But despite that, Stinson and the rest of the GNR camp -- now led by frontman Axl Rose -- remain undaunted as they try to establish the new edition of the group before devoted fans and skeptics alike.

"Y'know, all those people, they don't leave," says Stinson, who replaced founding bassist Duff McKagen in 1998. "They must not be hating it if they don't leave. People seem to be pretty jazzed by the show that we put."

Adds keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who joined GNR in 1990 and is the longest-tenured member of the band besides Rose: "No matter what we do, there's gonna be some people that are just not gonna let go of the old band. But the majority of the people I see out there are having a great time; they're losing their minds and dancing and singing along. It doesn't seem to me like they miss the old guys."

GNR is touring North America for the first time since 1993, following scattered shows during the past two years in Las Vegas, Rio, Hong Kong, Japan, Belgium and England and an appearance on the MTV Music Video Awards in September. The tour got off to a rough start Nov. 7 in Vancouver; after Rose's arrival was delayed, GM Place officials canceled the concert, and rioting fans caused $100,000 worth of damage to the venue.

That's only part and parcel of what's been a tumultuous nine years, which has seen the founding core of the group fall apart and Rose wrest control of the name and the direction of the band.

Keyboardist Reed notes that "it probably seems to a lot of people that the band just disappeared and now it's back and it's totally different."

But he says GNR never stopped working and that Rose spent time assembling a new corps of musicians as well as recording the new album "Chinese Democracy" -- expected out during 2003 -- with a number of producers.

The new, well-credentialed lineup of the band has been together for about seven months, with Reed, former Replacements member Stinson, guitarists Buckethead (Praxis, Primus), Robin Finck (nine inch nails, Cirque du Soleil) and Richard Fortus (Love Spit Love), keyboardist Chris Pitman (the Replicants, Lusk) and drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia (Primus, Tom Waits, Praxis).

Former guitarist Slash derisively refers to the group as "Axl and his merry men," and reserves terms such as "control freak" and "maniac" for his former band mate.

In fact, Slash, McKagen and former GNR guitarist Izzy Stradlin are forming their own group, which draws chuckles from Reed.

"I say good luck, and I hope they have a good time -- and they should enjoy it 'cause Izzy'll probably quit in a couple of weeks," says Reed, 39, adding: "I think some of those guys really go complacent. I know Axl thought we really needed to change, and in their mind we didn't need to change, we should just do what we do and everything will be cool.

"But you look around and you see bands that did that, and they're trivial now. They're nostalgia. We didn't want to be that way ... and one by one, people started quitting. The old band was a little more hell-bent on self-destruction; this band, I think, is kinda headed upwards as opposed to downward."

With no firm release date for the album -- GNR's first studio effort since 1993 -- both Reed and Stinson, 36, are purposefully vague in describing the long-in-the-making "Chinese Democracy," which the group has produced with collaborators such as Sean Beavan, Roy Thomas Baker and Youth.

Reed says to expect "a pretty intense musical journey. It takes you to some really interesting musical places."

Stinson, meanwhile, promises that "it touches on a lot of different elements of old Guns N' Roses in some ways; in other ways it touches with more current-sounding music." He also lauds Rose's lyrics, which he says are "a lot deeper" than on previous GNR releases.

The group is playing several of the new songs in concert each night along with old favorites such as "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child of Mine," "Patience" and "November Rain." But the musicians are anxious to get "Chinese Democracy" out so that the audiences will be able to sing along to them as well -- even though they know there are skeptics who still wonder if it will ever actually be released.

"We wouldn't be doing this if it weren't going to come out -- are you kidding?" Stinson says with a laugh. "If it works out, it could be history making, 'cause no one's ever done this before. A lead singer's never taken the (band) name and continued on with an entirely new band and done that successfully before.

"I kinda got into this for exactly that reason; if you're gonna try to do something really whacked, this would be the way to do it. I really don't think about the consequences either way; it's either gonna work or it's not, and in the meantime we're all having a good time trying to make it happen."

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=200211...19-121823-7580r

Fuck thats cool! :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I say good luck, and I hope they have a good time -- and they should enjoy it 'cause Izzy'll probably quit in a couple of weeks," says Reed, 39, adding: "I think some of those guys really go complacent. I know Axl thought we really needed to change, and in their mind we didn't need to change, we should just do what we do and everything will be cool.

"But you look around and you see bands that did that, and they're trivial now. They're nostalgia. We didn't want to be that way ... and one by one, people started quitting. The old band was a little more hell-bent on self-destruction; this band, I think, is kinda headed upwards as opposed to downward."

Reed says to expect "a pretty intense musical journey. It takes you to some really interesting musical places."

Stinson, meanwhile, promises that "it touches on a lot of different elements of old Guns N' Roses in some ways; in other ways it touches with more current-sounding music." He also lauds Rose's lyrics, which he says are "a lot deeper" than on previous GNR releases.

Dizzy is so rigth about having to evolve and its good that he states that as a reason for them leaving.

But most interrestingly, Dizzy`s and even more Tommy`s quotes about the album.. Better lyrics! .. I am so looking forward to it! :)

yeagh Ol' Dizzy and Tommy can spout off at the mouth really easy especially when they  didn't have to do Jack Sh*t to establish the GNR name.

PAYCHECK BOYS.... And clap clap for your insight Dizzy on the old band. The only reason your pissed at them is that they the old muscians didn't want your a** around except as a backing muscian. Face it DIZZY you were only there cuz Axl felt sorry for you. (Check your history people before you rip me on this one!) Dizzy had been tossed out on the street and didn't have any money or place to go when he ran into Axl who then without consulting the rest of the members told managment to sign him up. Of course the dogs gonna stay with his master especially when hes getting the bone....

If anything I think these new guys should be alittle humble toward the old players. If anything they should be thankful. Nothing will turn me off worse to the new GNR attitude than see the hired help dis the masters. I don't care if you write the most F**ken music ever produced. Its just tasteless to dis people that got you to where you are now in life. GNR was built on the sweat equity of those fellas period. Every one of those muscians stepped into a spot created by the old band. they never had to play the clubs for $40.00 a person a night. They never had to drag thier equipment around and set it up themselves ... if anything they stepped into a pretty cushy situation ESTABLISHED by the ol;d band... and the GNR name.

Those people that Tommy is whining about are there to compare. If he thinks people are going to forget about Slash because of Buckethead  hes stoned! The old gaurd... those that were around last time can't ever forget the old band.... the new fans never will miss what they never had.  

And clap clap for your insight Dizzy on the old band. The only reason your pissed at them is that they the old muscians didn't want your a** around except as a backing muscian. Face it DIZZY you were only there cuz Axl felt sorry for you. (Check your history people before you rip me on this one!) Dizzy had been tossed out on the street and didn't have any money or place to go when he ran into Axl who then without consulting the rest of the members told managment to sign him up.

Well, if you read som more you will find out that Dizzy orginally should have joined the band before Appetite but couldnt because he broke something (his hand, I think) and after that it just didnt happend before dizzy called Axl saying that he would be trown out next week so if wanted to get contact with him (phone) he ought to do it before he got trown out..

TO hell with Limp Biscuit and Eminem...they are part of the problem never the solution... even in extreme cases of heroine comas ;D

All Im saying is that the hired help better not get to lippy or to comfortable. Nothing gold stays. I remember an interview by Axl where he said that this band Old GNR was family. Then I read where he said it was like a club....

As I see it that whole line about Izzy was cheap and it degraded the new GNR band. Its probably true but really it isn't Dizzys palce to say sh*t all he is is a hired gun.Same goes for Tommy. Keep the issues to current GNR topics UNTIL after you have a couple of tours and Albums under your belt. Until then its like dissn someones ex-girlfriend... Ya never know when the b*tch is coming back if ever.

As I see it that whole line about Izzy was cheap and it degraded the new GNR band. Its probably true but really it isn't Dizzys palce to say sh*t all he is is a hired gun.Same goes for Tommy. Keep the issues to current GNR topics UNTIL after you have a couple of tours and Albums under your belt. Until then its like dissn someones ex-girlfriend... Ya never know when the b*tch is coming back if ever.

I wouldnt consider Dizzy as just a hired gun, he knew the band before they got big and he was suppost to join them before 90`.. And I cant really say he said anything bad.. Just that Izzy didnt cope with pressure much and that he didnt feel any obligations.. Or one of those anywayz.. :) Or just a quick joke..

Tommy only commented on the music and concerts they played..

Great article Gauda! They seem to have a sense of humor. Cool.

...  Face it DIZZY you were only there cuz Axl felt sorry for you. (Check your history people before you rip me on this one!) Dizzy had been tossed out on the street and didn't have any money or place to go when he ran into Axl who then without consulting the rest of the members told managment to sign him up. Of course the dogs gonna stay with his master especially when hes getting the bone....

Many have described Axl as a perfectionist and control-freak -- Someone who seeks the best and has no patience or tolerance for less. So where does that leave Dizzy?  If Dizzy wasn't great at what he does, Axl would have tossed his a*ss out long ago.  

Do you really think he keeps Dizzy there for "sympathy" or "friendship?"  Axl even got rid of his old pal Paul -- which shows even friendship will only go so far with Axl when it comes to business.

So, the fact that Dizzy has been around for 12 years speaks volumes about his talent, and I think it's insulting to Dizzy for you to suggest otherwise.  

... Nothing will turn me off worse to the new GNR attitude than see the hired help dis the masters. I don't care if you write the most F**ken music ever produced. Its just tasteless to dis people that got you to where you are now in life....

Does Slash fit into this little tirade too?  In case you missed his quote in the story, I'll repost it for ya:

... Former guitarist Slash derisively refers to the group as "Axl and his merry men," and reserves terms such as "control freak" and "maniac" for his former band mate...

It works both ways hon.

yeagh Ol' Dizzy and Tommy can spout off at the mouth really easy especially when they  didn't have to do Jack Sh*t to establish the GNR name.

PAYCHECK BOYS.... And clap clap for your insight Dizzy on the old band. The only reason your pissed at them is that they the old muscians didn't want your a** around except as a backing muscian. Face it DIZZY you were only there cuz Axl felt sorry for you. (Check your history people before you rip me on this one!) Dizzy had been tossed out on the street and didn't have any money or place to go when he ran into Axl who then without consulting the rest of the members told managment to sign him up. Of course the dogs gonna stay with his master especially when hes getting the bone....

If anything I think these new guys should be alittle humble toward the old players. If anything they should be thankful. Nothing will turn me off worse to the new GNR attitude than see the hired help dis the masters. I don't care if you write the most F**ken music ever produced. Its just tasteless to dis people that got you to where you are now in life. GNR was built on the sweat equity of those fellas period. Every one of those muscians stepped into a spot created by the old band. they never had to play the clubs for $40.00 a person a night. They never had to drag thier equipment around and set it up themselves ... if anything they stepped into a pretty cushy situation ESTABLISHED by the ol;d band... and the GNR name.

Those people that Tommy is whining about are there to compare. If he thinks people are going to forget about Slash because of Buckethead  hes stoned! The old gaurd... those that were around last time can't ever forget the old band.... the new fans never will miss what they never had.  

dude are u fucked in the head? the old members just didn't want to share the wealth. And talk about paychecks what the fuck you think the old members ae dooing right now esp Steven Adler. let me ask you this how much $$$ u make i bet it's shit compared to what every GNR member makes or has. Fuck the money this has nothing to do with money. This also contradicts ur statements that axl is an ego ans an asshole since he took Dizzy out of the streets and helped him out on a personal level. FUCK U!

New GNR 4 life!

2-SWEET!!

Hey Coke Kiss my A*SS... Again.. And I can gaurantee you that I could buy and sell you ten times over. In your crack addled mind where the F**k does my income have anything to do with the Gunners? That was a real intelligent reference You made. I suggest you check your facts there buck-o. The difference about paychecks is that the old members earned them as shareholders of an original corporation. They may not play in the band anymore but they hold stock/places in the corporation. Income from merchandising and royalties. AS well as any earned interest off of investments made by the GNR corporation. (thats why they gave the song civil war to the romanian war orphans album... to break down the taxes lost due to the income of AFD tour and album sales.) Its called investments dumbA*SS thats what Steven Adlers Doing as well as everyone else.  Hes living off of the residual income and the royalties Nothing contridicts -Axl is an A**hole a brilliant one.. A very talented one but he far from a saint by any means. As for dizzy joining before AFD someone is sniffing glue. He came on board after Lies.Dizzy has no place to say sh*t about any of the old members cause he jumped on board after they had made it. And again nothing is being taken from talent. As for Slash he has earned the right to say what ever concerning the old band because he was like A MAJOR player,  Yes Dizzy  is talented and oviously has a rapport with Axl no bones there about it but it smacks as petty for him to get involoved in the issues.  surrounding GNR business he is a Hired Gun the longest lasting of the hired guns of the corporate GNR. Axl could can him in a heartbeat. Its his JOB. He never was a "Member". That was in an interview done in 91.Also supposedly the old members shortly after the UYI wanted to return to the AFD format and do away with the ballads and big show type atmosphere and it was said that there would be no place for Dizzy on the "new" album. The ones that the old GNR members were working on.. (ended up being 5:00 some where. by SNAKEPIT.) He would tour to help Axl with the keyboards. That was when Axl decided to go in a new direction. punk./harder vs classic rock....

Dizzy and Tommy own no rights to any of the music. He may know Izzy personally and it might have been just in passing as joke same for Tommys qoute but like Tommy said in the local paper..Quad City Times he and the group are now regarding those old songs as thiers. Weve played them so much ......that in a strange way they are like our songs" Yeagh whatever... thats gonna get you points with people. Thats really arrogant. The tide could turn hypothetically and Axl could say "know what Im getting the old band back together and Tommy and crew couldn't do Sh*t about it." So for them to get involved in the GNR WAR is pathetic. Slash can dis as he can because he has the right to. AS for merry men why wouldn't they be? They just stepped into the most cushy jobs in the world.

Actually I belive Adler was paid off when he was kicked out... If I remember correctly it was a lump sum of around a million bucks... Not much for a drug addict like him.  I belive reading SEVERAL articles about how he has been struggling in life. Not sure where you get this 'he is well off' crap.  so you need to get your facts straight bucko...  And Dizzy was friends with them and played with them before AFD.  Also, you say these guys stepped into a job without paying dues? And they didn't have to carry equipment around? uhhh, you are on crack... these guys weren't born guns n roses members, they paid their dues like everyone else in the music world by starting in small clubs, in small bands... moving up through the music world... Most of them all come for well known other bands... You call yourself a fan, but you have all the wrong info so I am not sure what you are a fan of... But it sure as heck is NOT gnr.  

Well said Mr. Sparkle!!!  God knows that Dizzy paid his dues! playing at clubs on the hollywood strip, carrying his own gear, and living on the streets. he lived next door in the studio to GNR in the lean years and trust me, everything gnr went through dizzy went through!

Who said he was well off? I said he still gets royalties and a % of the merchandising ect...I saw a tv interview on Adler filmed in his apartment and no its far from being palatial. He's damaged from the drugs hardcore.The stroke paralyzed  his left side and several heartattacks damaged him stamina wise.  He blew his intial settlement of 2.4 million that he won after suing the band followinghis dismissal. However due to the formula they used to divide the spoils.. Steve didn't get the same % of  take that like Duff or Izzy did because he didn't actually write a single note. Axl threw a fit after the lawsuit ...the one that gave them the title for the SI. But Steve showed up to accept an award on behalf of GnR for an award.... shows that he still however minor is involved.

I should smack you around Sparkle for saying I aint a GnR fan. I'd put one of my paychecks to what you make in a year that Im closer to correct than you are or could ever be. If ya ever want to get in the ring you just let me know and I smoke your a*ss for the ugly fun of it ;D

Yeagh right fellas all those other guys went on world tours and had jets and all the amenitys.... NIN might have had a good following but it couldn't have been to lucritive for Robin( was he Trents whore too?) sure they worked the circut but in no way no how could you say their experience was the same. They may have put in "the time" in other bands but not GNR. What was the largest following any of them ever had? Sure they were just as the review said Semi Famous. Even people who don't really follow GNR knew Slash was the sideman/guitarplayer(even people in the audience on Sunday were saying  why is Slash wearing a Mask) for GNR? They went from doing what? To being in the one of the biggest bands in the world. I'd say that was one hell of a promotion. Nothing wrong with that. Hey thats the american Dream...And for all you fellas out there that like sloppy seconds.......take it as you see it.. You may get your rox off but in your heart and mind you'll always know someone was there first..... the truth. Now does that mean they suck?( Well Robin does as hes acknowledged that he's queer. He played in a drag band prior to NIN.) NO THEY DONT SUCK. They are  damn good even great. Outstanding in execution and getting better in performance. AMAZING to watch and hear... they look silly doing it but hey so what?Still means that they are secondary players to Axl. They can be replaced on whim. Accept it and move on... for all you people that are hoping that these fellas will ever gain the legendary status that the originals did.. good luck. In a way these guys are like Scab labor.

Ya'll need to see the difference between mindless kneejerk reactions like Guada andMr. Sparkles... anything remotely true is to big a threat to thier fractious little world of blind GNR loyalty. Couldn't find a god so they chose AXl. THey are the worst kind of fan because the only act on trends hence the closeted remarks about Eminemm and Limp Bisquit... bet if you check on their Mp3's youd find some Backstreet Boys,britney and N'sync.

No seriusly fellas this is all in good fun so don't get your panties in a bunch just because you are misguided in your understanding of GNR.  Given the time and a little more education you might be able to go the distance with me  the true fan. You question me again Mr. Sparkle and I'll poke your eye out.

lol, this is funny. I have to say I agree with Sparkle, G-Face and Gauda. Rockerman, you say these guys "haven't paid their dues" but how do you think these guys got into GnR? The paid their dues with other bands and worked their way up to the point where Axl actually knew who they were. Did Robin Fink pay his dues? I think you'll find becoming one of the biggest rock bands on the planet with NIN is paying your dues. Brain with Primus, yep. Buckethead has a cult underground following. And as for Dizzy, he was there and stuck with Axl while all of those other weak losers quit and did their solo projects (which all failed, doesn't that say something?) These guys worked their way up in the business and came to work with Axl after the others deserted him, they have just as much right to bag on them as any of us do. At least they have a good gig at the moment, what are the old members doing? sitting in a studio trying to wriite an album as quickly as possible to live off Axl's publicity.

rockerman, most of the posts on this forum are opposite views of yourself, and gnrlies.  So, i suppose you two are right and the rest of us are wrong.  I have been a fan since I was 11.  I am now 27.  I have kept up plenty on the history of the band.  I have grown up a bit now, and don't worship them like I did in high school.. but my knowledge of the history of the band is indeed surpassed your bit of wisdom you think you have of the band.  And you will poke my eyes out? I should poke your eardrum our cause you don't deserve to hear such great music.   ;D