To those who are anti slash and old band

gnrlies

Ok, i must say that I wrote this in response in another forum, however many of the principles can be generally applied. Its a bit long, but if you read it and give me some comments then i would be happy!  Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

Firstlstly as for that whole slash and BH thing. BH does not appeal to many people who are fans of hard rock (i.e. gnr) it doesn't matter how you look at it, on a skill level, or on a feel level or whatever, one thing for sure, is that buckethead can, and will never rock as hard or as good as slash did. Whether it be slash in a live sense, or whether it be slash on the album. Slash is your classic rock lead guitarist and that can never change.

2ndly, buckethead does not play Rock guitar. He plays an interesting but different stlyle, and thats why he was an underground guitarist before GNR. Now if you like his kind of thing, then im sure you argue that he's better on many different fields, but for most rock fans, slash was irreplaceable, especially by some weirdo with a KFC bucket and a white face mask who's music sounds more like dance music than rock music. The fact is slash could pull it off in his own unique way and it doesn't matter how technical it is, the fact is that it sounds good, and no-one else can make it sound anywhere near as good as him for most GNR fans.... SIMPLE! Thats why he was voted 4th best guitarist of all time!

3rdly, (this is my opinion so dont look at it any other way) Slash plays with the rawest feel and edge, and has such a good live feel to him. He makes people wanna learn the guitar. He brings people to GNR. Buckethead plays his unique style and may be a technically better guitarist or whatever, but he can never feel or give out what slash did, and that side of it is far more important that some critical technical based report of a guitarist. After all, its how it sounds that counts, not how hard it is to play!

4thly, About the whole move on business, none of you are here for the new band. You are all here becuase your fans of the old band and you want to see what axl can do. Nothing more. Nothing has been put out by the new band as yet, so until then i and others are here for the old band. And by the way, theres no need to dish out the old band just becuase you want to get on with the new! Ive said it before, Im here for GNR. Not an old GNR or a new GNR, im here for just GNR. Im here for axl's new incarnation, im here for slash duff izzy and matt's band, and im here for the old memories of the old band. And if you dont like it then you can suck my dick becuase we all have the right to be here, and for our own reasons, so dont go criticising people telling them what to do n shit becuase you have no right to do so...

Dead right man.  

I am really busy lately and just get time to read a couple of posts before I go to bed each night, but I do read a few posts, and I do agree with 99.9999999% of the the stuff you say gnrlies.  You know what GNR was all about.

he knows what gnr is all about??? AFD is older then him... you two are silly... Slash is awesome... errr was awesome.... Some of his recent playing has been, well very generic.  I read an article with Axl once, where he said slash was insisting he songs that he released on Snakepit be on the next album...  Now, I don't know about you, but even if Axl sang on those Snakepit songs, they still would have sucked... So there is a REASON Slash is no longer part of the band.  The 5 new songs i have heard totally kick ass... And i don't see slash being able or willing to play songs such as 'Oh My God' and there are a few technoish songs that they are working on... Axl wanted to evolve, create some new music/styles and the rest of the band {mostly slash} were not willing to do this hence they are not in the band anymore.  There is a key to longevity... you have to appeal to the public.. And the market just isn't into 80's style, rock.  It's like those people you see with mullets and half t-shirts... they are stuck in the 80's... I will never become one of those peopel so I applaud Axl for trying somethign new.. and going in the right direction.  Slash is one hell of a guitar player, and saying buckethead was 'Undergroung' because he was different is silly... You never know when he would have got his break.  everyone starts underground.. even GnR started underground and the went big.  Bucetheads style may not be the best fit for the old songs, but with the new stuff they are going to put out, he fits perfect... Something slash would have a hard time doing with th new songs.

If people in this forum wannabe anti-old gnr them I say LET Them , The fact is I don't really have a problem with them because that's thier opinon but I do get pissed when They act like the Old Gnr was a mistake > I said this before an I'll do it now If there was no old GnR there'd be NO new Gnr and I don't think ANYONE here would be talkin about B-head even If he was the Greatest Gutarist ever . You have to respect the old GnR for the influence on music they had and the music they gave us . BTW I think most of these Anti old GnR people are full of Sh*t anyway because If they aren't then why are they even here The new guys haven't even released any album yet and only like 5 new songs and after only that much material you're gonna say this new group blows away the old material ( Get a Grip ) . 1 more thing don't rip on Slash because he wouldn't wanna play this new material if he was around I mean that's why he left in the first place He wanted to amke a ROCK  N ROLL record ( that's gotta say something about this new album .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

slash has always written killer riffs and the snakepit stuff would be great if izzy had arranged his songs.. same with izzy's stuff, if slash had contributed some riffs and solos it would be much better.. but then it wouldn't be slash/izzy solo.. the project will prove that those guys have not lost their skills and chemistry.

I never said the new songs kill the old songs.. they are different.. each are awesome.  I am a fan of both groups... when i was 11 years old(1986), my uncle was a manager at a local pub here in Phoenix called 'The Mason Jar' ... he used to let me sit at the sound board when good bands came to town.. I saw GnR before anyone knew who the hell they were, and fell in love with their attitude/music after the 1st song.  This club holds no more then 80 people so I have seen the up close, and have been following them ever since.  There hasn't been a time where I wrote them off, or anything.. I bought all of their solo projects... kept up on the news, read about Axl when he came to arizona up to Sedona to get in touch with his spiritual side...  The solo projects suck, except for Izzy.  Axl's new songs I have heard kick total ass.  I love every guns n roses song (minus duff and slashes solo adventures) dearly and each one is toatlly different to me... I am not here to say the new ones suck, the old ones rule.. or anything like that... Its people who are stuck, can't accept what is going on.. and they have to bash the new band.  It's really stupid as they have no control over what happens.  If you dont' like it, don't listen.. a reunion isnt' going to happen.. not now.. it would be years down the line for that to happen.  So, you can either be cool and give the new stuff a shot.. or go listen to the project.. it's really not fair to comapre the two and say one is better then the other.. they are totally different styles.

man these 5 songs are good but they aren't anything compare to any of the old albums (except for spagetti incident)man any song of afd or the uyis is better than those songs

and i haven't heard a real great solo in any of these songs

oh my god is a cool song actually i guess is the best of the new songs with madagascar and yeah slash have inspired millions of people to learn guitar ,well at least for me ,since i began i've always wanted to learn every cool riff of slash

and slash wasn't kicked out of gnr he disagreed with axl cause he didn't want to play this tecno-rock(whatever)

it is up to you what do u prefer rock n roll(slash) or this techno-rock(b-head)

my opinion definetely: rock n roll :o

GNRLIES;

THANKS FOR YOUR POST cos that explains where you are coming from. Just wanna say i Respect your opinion and ask that you respect mine. In my opinion your a biased fan cos you say this and that with all due respect when you don't know shit about buckethead. I knew buckethead way b4 99.9% of the teeny popers did(thankfully most fans in here are not teeny popers or 'top forty' fans). Here is my background I love guitars i play guitar as well. I love guitars so much I won't listen to anything unless it has a bad ass guitarist in it. Being a 'good' guitarist does not cut it for me they have to be Guitar Gods. I like all styles of hard rock music from hard rock, old school rhythm & blues, hard rock blues, metal, speed metal thrash metal, death metal, black metal, industrial, punk rock etc etc. but my favorite style is without question "instrumetal guitar" rock like JOE SATRIANI, STEVE VAI, MICHAELANGELO, JASON BECKER, ERIC JOHNSON. for years i wished that my favorite guitarist EDDIE VAN HALEN would release a solo albulm with 80% instrumental guitar rock. SO when I speak/post i know what the fuck I am talking about in terms of guitars. with all due respect you comments on buckethead as well as others on this site are wrong. FOR UR INFO he is not all techno. Fuck hes too damn good to just play that shit. He plays movie songs like ur seeing now Star Wars, as well JAWS theme, Indiana jones theme, etc. He can tone it down and play beautiful acoustic-electric bolleros like he flawlessy does on his "COLMA" cd. you post this 'to those that are anti-slash" when really its more like "i am anti-bucket pro slash."  YOu argue that buckets music is dance music not rock music when i guarantee you the Dance music fans don't even know who the fuck he is. You are basing this argument on just 15 minutes of his solo stint on the bootlegs. i know what the business he is more than dance music he is as said b4 the most diversified guitarist out there. you should be damn proud and feel lucky and appreciative that we have in gnr cos slash is gone your living in the 80's move on. If you can not have Slash then who else better than buckethead? If we as fans can not have Slash than who the fuck can we have i can only think of one other guy better that is STEVE VAI but as anyone knows STEVE VAI never commits long term to a band.

also you claim that buckethead will not appeal to gnr fans. I guesse you been asleep the last few months but critics overseas have publically publicized articles stating comments such as "slash who?" I mean SLASH himself said BUCKETHEAD kicks ass so what the fuck is ur fucking problem.

lastly you claim all of us are here cos of the old band. bullshit your only here cos your a SLASH fan that is pissed that AXL is goining on moving on without SLASH. Your arguments about him being voted 4th favorite of all time i guarantee you he won't be in the top 20 in ten years or less from now. Do U really think that SLASH would even be discussed among us unless he was in GNR. HAD tracee GUNN not of fucked up and not gotten fired b4 GNR signed major label You think that would of kept GNR from becoming ass huge as they did?

do not misinterpret luck with skill mate and do not get me wrong I like SLASH but your attitude is ur problem ur starting controversy when u don't even know what the fuck ur talking about. ANyone who knew buckethead b4 knows he is not dance music. U think he's fucking Moby that is ur problem. last but not least:

BUCKETHEAD CRUSHES ANYTHING SLASH EVER DID OUTSIDE OF GNR. IF BUCKET EVER QUITS OR GETS FIRED(GOD FORBID) HE ATLEAST CAN GO BACK AND PUT OUT GREAT SOLO ALBULMS AS HE HAS FOR YEARS.

NEW GNR 4 LIFE

2-SWEET!!

..  And by the way, theres no need to dish out the old band just becuase you want to get on with the new! Ive said it before, Im here for GNR. Not an old GNR or a new GNR, im here for just GNR. Im here for axl's new incarnation, im here for slash duff izzy and matt's band, and im here for the old memories of the old band. ...

Well said Gnrlies.

Why can't people like both bands???

I fully support Axl's new band, but I have the highest respect for the old band members as well and continue to be interested in what music they're creating.

It makes no sense for people to diss the old band. It was the old members together with Axl who brought GNR to the top of the rock world. Without them, we wouldn't be here discussing GNR today.

..  If we as fans can not have Slash than who the fuck can we have i can only think of one other guy better that is STEVE VAI but as anyone knows STEVE VAI never commits long term to a band...

Actually, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Buckethead reminds me of Steve Vai. Both are awesome guitarists -- and similar styles. In fact, at one point, I wondered if it was Vai under the mask.  :D  Then I learned his name was Brian Carroll.

Actually, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Buckethead reminds me of Steve Vai. Both are awesome guitarists -- and similar styles. In fact, at one point, I wondered if it was Vai under the mask.  :D  Then I learned his name was Brian Carroll.

YEAH  madison u know the business.....b-head fans for years wondered if he was indeed Steve VAi or Paul Gilbert. but hey as much as like Buckethead I mean everyone in here knows he is my boy..... he is not STEVE VAI but on that same note i honestly do not think Buckethead has reached his full potential that is why every guitarist needs that special someone to bring the best out of him that special vocalist to make you a complete guitar guru the way ozzy did to Randy rhoads or the way Diamond dave did w/ Eddie Van Halen or like the way flipside AXl did to SLASH & izzy Stradlin.

another note as mentioned ealier the price of success for years no one knew his real name now that he is in GNR most fans know it. &it is only a matter of time b4 his face will become posted on this site.

.. . kept up on the news, read about Axl when he came to arizona up to Sedona to get in touch with his spiritual side...  ...

I realize this is off topic.

But I was curious Mr. Sparkle .. Since you live in Arizona, what do you think of Axl's spiritual side?  Have you been to Sedona?  

..   another note as mentioned ealier the price of success for years no one knew his real name now that he is in GNR most fans know it. &it is only a matter of time b4 his face will become posted on this site.

Oh, but I did post his pic already Coke8!!! Did you miss it?  I posted it about a month ago on a thread called "Buckethead -- the man behind the mask."   ;D

It's an old pic from the December 1989 issue of Guitar for the Practicing Musician.  So I guess he's about 33 now.

I'll post it again for ya.

I realize this is off topic.

But I was curious Mr. Sparkle .. Since you live in Arizona, what do you think of Axl's spiritual side?  Have you been to Sedona?  

Yes sir.. I go up to Sedona every couple months to chill and get in touch with my spiritual side, well to relax anyway... It's really is quite an interesting place...  Axl sought a person by the name of Yoda in Sedona.. Yoda helped him with  past-life regression.. .a form of psychotherapy.  Axl has been a powerful, almost evangelical believer in homeopathic medicine.   ;D

Can i make one thing clear for coke8 and anybody else who interpreted my response just as coke did...

Firstly, i am not anti buckethead. I dont particularly like him, but i am not anti buckethead. To be honest i was in the beginning, but that was based on his mask and KFC bucket and not his music. I know he is a good guitarist, and many people conceive that he as a technically better guitarist than slash, but the main point in what i was saying is that slash offers more than just technical ability. He offers the feel and style that buckethead does not have.

Now of course this is just my opinion, so in terms of me prefering slash over buckethead for his stlye and feel, is merely a thing based on opinion, as yours is to like buckethead for his technical ability etc.

The thing is, that most rock fans (gnr fans at least) prefer the style that slash gives than buckethead, and as ive said in my original message, its not about how hard it is to play, its about how it sounds.

Now i atmit that i am not familiar with BH's solo work, but if he is this amazing guitarist that can play all of these other styles, then why doesn't he do this for GNR??? Why does his Solo's for GNR sound like dance music?? And one thing i would like to point out, i was not saying that he played dance music, merely that it sounded more like dance music than rock music, which is quite a fact.

As for the move on aspect, i could say to everyone of you to move on and stop following GNR. We are all here becuase we like this band. We each like this band for our own reasons, whether it be for axl, slash or whoever, but we are all here becuase we loved the old GNR. No, slash isn't in the new band, but that doesn't mean we have to stop appreciating his music, or the old guys music. GNR is my favourite band of all time, and i am entitled to say that becuase i am entitled to my own opinion. As are you... And i fully support the NEw Guns N Roses, but only as a branch of the original band (i.e. a section of GNR with the slash duff matt izzy etc being the rest of GNR). Moving on does not apply for me, becuase Guns N Roses will always be slash and the old guys as well as axl, never some bunch of replacements.

I will like this band for their own achievements and for Chinese Democracy, not for the achievements that the old band made for themselves.

And lastly, i would like to say that many of you fall into the "i want to move on with gnr therefore im going to hate the old band" category. YOU DONT NEED TO!

You might say that you like the old band, and you followed them from the begining or whatever, but subconciously you must have some degree of hatred to the old guys, otherwise why would you turn around and dish them out when only ten years ago you would praise them for that they were worth.

I will forver be PRO GNR...

Not anti new gnr, or pro old gnr, just pro GNR...

If that means being a fan of axl, or a fan of slash and then old guys. Thats how it is, and i have the right to be here for my own reasons.

I also agree that I'd rather wait for Axl's release than a lame excuse for an album put together in a couple of months purely for the reason of living off the publicity of someone who is now in a better band and is likely to sell a LOT of albums. It's quite lame that the "Great" Slash and co. feel the need to live off Axl's publicity.  

I wish them the greatest of failures.

this is the kind of anti old GNR sentiment that i am refering to...