Dont know chords

you wont be able to play whole songs without a miniscule amount of chord knowledge. just basic open chords(major and minor), bar chords, and power chords can normally get you through most things. its more detrimental to your ability to write music. a lead line is often played as a picking variation of a chord, especially during verses(i.e. the 2nd half of the two SCOM verses). i base many of my riffs off of chords that i just tweaked around a little.(if your music savy slash often throws in a lot of flat and minor 7th's). If you really want to start writing your own stuff learn your scales.pentatonic scales give you a hard rock blues type sound. if you mix them with a basic minor scale you can get some different more metal type sounds. if you want to whip out something blazing fast and have it sound awesome use arpeggios. there my secret weapon when preforming solos.

Edited by FORKS

you wont be able to play whole songs without a miniscule amount of chord knowledge. just basic open chords(major and minor), bar chords, and power chords can normally get you through most things. its more detrimental to your ability to write music. a lead line is often played as a picking variation of a chord, especially during verses(i.e. the 2nd half of the two SCOM verses). i base many of my riffs off of chords that i just tweaked around a little.(if your music savy slash often throws in a lot of flat and minor 7th's). If you really want to start writing your own stuff learn your scales.pentatonic scales give you a hard rock blues type sound. if you mix them with a basic minor scale you can get some different more metal type sounds. if you want to whip out something blazing fast and have it sound awesome use arpeggios. there my secret weapon when preforming solos.

thanks, ive just styarted playing really but im gonna try and learn that stuff.

thanks, ive just styarted playing really but im gonna try and learn that stuff.

I'm learning as well I get my guitar 2moro! yay! I'm 18 tho I feel im too old lol I got no low tho so I should pick it up no sweat :P

chords are VERY important to a guitarist, especially rythym guitarists

most of the time i write stuff its basic chord harmonics

you mean harmonies

harmonics are where you put your finger lightly over the 12th fret, or 5th, or 7th, and pick it...

kind of a floating sound...

:P

but, yes, chords are prolly the most important part of guitar, and it isn't fun without them rock2

chords are VERY important to a guitarist, especially rythym guitarists

most of the time i write stuff its basic chord harmonics

you mean harmonies

harmonics are where you put your finger lightly over the 12th fret, or 5th, or 7th, and pick it...

kind of a floating sound...

:P

but, yes, chords are prolly the most important part of guitar, and it isn't fun without them rock2

:P at least you know what i meant

Good advice.

It's always good to learn the basic chords; minor, major, 7th. You don't really need to be a "walking, talking chord dictionary" but a basic knowledge of chords is pretty much necessary. If you learn how the basic chords are formed, and which modes they work into, you'll be a lot better off.

But to answer your question, yes. You will be able to learn a full song, even though you don't know the chords. Look at the Ramones. They didn't know chords, but they changed the course of music history!

^^

GOOD!  :anger:

And for the record I know your a guy!  :blink:  ;)

well from your post it sounded like you either thought i was a chick or a gay guy :lol: and im neither :blink::lol:

For Fu*k Sake!!!!!!!!!!!

You know when I'm taking the piss out of Batman but you cant tell when I am doing it to you!

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

^^

GOOD! 

And for the record I know your a guy!    ;)

well from your post it sounded like you either thought i was a chick or a gay guy :lol: and im neither :blink::lol:

For Fu*k Sake!!!!!!!!!!!

You know when I'm taking the piss out of Batman but you cant tell when I am doing it to you!

Well at least i don't take it as serious as batman does :lol:

^^

GOOD! 

And for the record I know your a guy!    ;)

For Fu*k Sake!!!!!!!!!!!

Well at least i don't take it as serious as batman does :lol:

True!

geez whatever happened to human sport??

What a man!!  :)

Is there anything you cant do??  :kiss:

Off the top of my head, no. I can do it all! I fucking rock! rock3

love30.giflove30.giflove30.gifSantana

Santana for President!!! B) :lol:

PISS OFF!!

HE'S MINE!

Ooh, aren't we a fiesty one! evilgrin36.gif

will i ever be able to play a full song if i dont know chords? I know how to read tabs to an extent, but is it necesarry to learn chords?

if in a band or sumthin if there were two uitarists u might be able to pull it off, but u'd be better to learn.

i had the same problem, i found that dont try playin chorded song jus when practising randomly switch through chortds and in time you'll get speed,