key of scom

Can someone please tell me why in guitar magazines scom is always in D. The happy parts follow G's major chord cadence, and the sad sounding parts use there relative minors, so i would think its best to write the song in G? The chord C isnt even in D?? Can someone whose good with theory tell me why i'm wong.

And i know scom is flat its just its always written out in D not C#.

Can someone please tell me why in guitar magazines scom is always in D. The happy parts follow G's major chord cadence, and the sad sounding parts use there relative minors, so i would think its best to write the song in G? The chord C isnt even in D?? Can someone whose good with theory tell me why i'm wong.

And i know scom is flat its just its always written out in D not C#.

they've assumed that you'd tune your guitar a 1/2step down...hece in D. Since its tuning, you'd be playing a D but theoretically you're sounding a C#. In a guitar like instruments there a two ways of writing your music. You can either write it as a flat/sharp in standard tuning and play the sharps and flats, or you can de-tune your instrument 1/2 a step and play it in a standard chord placement and you'd get the same thing.

i guess that makes sense if they put it in D because it starts in D.  I just thought since how the chords follow G and not D it would be in G, thanks.

you're right there is no C in D progression but there is a C#.

Try reading this link here it may help: Read the Progression Vs. Succession part

I also noticed that in the intro riff, the firt bar is played twice and then comes the second bar which starts at the e note for which the rhythm plays a C chord hence the discussion. That e note is the harmony that makes up the C chord...so something may have to to with that

Edited by abitestranged