Kurt Cobain

I've been hanging out on the original Mygnr message board today and a lot of people seem to think Kurt Cobain (Mr. Heroin) is, well, WAS more talented himself than all of GN'R together.  They go on to say that Kurt was a better guitar player than Slash and he could write AND sing better than Axl.  Now, I had a really big laugh at this because first of all, Axl has more talent in his little pinkie finger than Nirvana itself, same goes for Slash or any other member of GN'R former and present.  What do you people think about Kurt, Nirvana, and that crab-infested ho (haha, couldn't resist) Courtney Love?  

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happen to think Kurt Cobain was a very talented musician, but he was also a junkie, as was (and probably still is) Courtney Love. She claims to run his estate to commemorate his memory, but really it's just to make money for herself. And by refusing to allow the release of the tenth anniversary "Nevermind" boxset she proved that the only woman on earth who is more of a bitch than her is the evil Stephanie Seymour

Just for the record, I'm not even 15 and could easily play a Nirvana song on guitar.  GN'R shit is pretty hard, which shows it takes a great musician to play it, but Nirvana is the same 3 or 4 chords over and over and over again, ya know.  

Exactly my point, Gcam...they sucked, they couldn't write, they couldn't perform because they were all either strung out on heroin or cocaine or something stupid or either couldn't wait to act kool and break all their instruments so they can go waste all the money they got off their worthless records to buy new ones.  Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of the members from GN'R were on heroin, but at least they came out sober enough to play

Then I could just pull out a page from good old Kurt's book and shoot myself for no reason whatsoever....nah, man, just kidding....screw that s-it

I actually really like Nirvana - especially ''Unplugged.''

I thought Kurt was a really gifted artist and musician, and felt it was a great loss to the music world when he took his life in such a tragic and sad way.

Before you all start jumping on me (I can see there aren't too many Nirvana fans on this thread), I still like GNR better. But comparing the two is like apples and oranges -- different styles, different energy.

And don't forget, Axl really respected and admired Kurt -- he spoke highly of him in interviews, asked him to tour with him, and even asked him to play at his 30th birthday party if I remember correctly .. but Kurt turned him down and made some dumb comments, which I didn't like. I kinda lost some respect for Kurt after that. But I still think he was a great musician.

Courtney Love. She claims to run his estate to commemorate his memory, but really it's just to make money for herself. And by refusing to allow the release of the tenth anniversary "Nevermind" boxset she proved that the only woman on earth who is more of a bitch than her is the evil Stephanie Seymour

I have to agree about Courtney Love.  I thought it was  outrageous of her to be suing Grohl and Novoselic for control when she wasn't even part of the band!!!

Jeppz, Agree with Madison...

Nirvana is actually one of the few bands I look upon as quality bands.. Their own music, not some kind of copying as new-metal crap has been doing since the first Korn and Limp album... :)

Here's my take on the Nirvana thing.....you see on T.V. and all this other crap that Nirvana is such an influential band and blah blah blah.......yes, they did get famous,  but they would have never gotten to the level they did if Kurt didn't take a loser way out and shove a shotgun in his mouth

That's right! If he didn't kill himself, the band wouldn't gotten all the publicity it did. And Courtney Love feasted on all the attention as well. I mean I didn't even know that Courtney Love was married to Kurt till he shot himself. I also didn't know she had her own band. I did buy her CD, which goes to show that the whole suicide thing was to her benefit. Wouldn't surprise me if Courtney set up the whole thing to promote her own album.

Here's my take on the Nirvana thing.....you see on T.V. and all this other crap that Nirvana is such an influential band and blah blah blah.......yes, they did get famous,  but they would have never gotten to the level they did if Kurt didn't take a loser way out and shove a shotgun in his mouth

i have to disagree with you and jennie. nirvana were famous before kurt killed himself. ive been a fan a LONG time, im 16, nirvana were the first alternative band i got into when my sister gave a a loan of their "bleach" album about a year or so before kurt killed himself, i wasn't TOTALLY into them but i liked them and nirvana were just as popular before he killed himself. they gained no popularity from it, and if there on TV more now its because of this fuc|<in upsurge in the popularity of "alternative" music. also, of course the guitar parts have to be simple, like a few chords, kurt had to sing at the same time. have you ever tried to sing and play guitar??? seriously you try it, even with something simple and you'll see its VERY hard. no way kurt was more talented than slash, i agree there... but when it comes to lyrics, theres no technical level to measure against. its all opinion, i could relate to nirvana songs a lot more than most GNR tunes. i never like nirvana over guns though, just been listening to them a LONG time and have respect where it's due, with the bleach album... i hate to use the cliche, but it was the voice of a desperate generation... even if you hate it and wouldnt listen to it, give it some respect, they done a LOT and went a LONG way.