want to find artists similar to Pink Floyd

DirtyDeeds

I've got a bunch of Floyd and Gilmour and Waters solo stuff, but I want more, and perhaps stuff that's slightly different, too, but in the same vein. I want that deep, well-thought-out art music. I can't even consider Pink Floyd to be rock. I just call it art music. Interesting sounds, interesting concepts, interesting lyrics... a bit mellow, a bit pyschadelic or progressive or whatever the heck they call it... know anybody like that, big named or underground? Thanks.

Not sure if there are any, Floyd are highly original,

Hmm you got me interested in finding someone like the Floyd now, i'll go searching for some bands get back to you if i find some that sound like that "art music" Floyd do so well..

I saw this guys album on a Pink Floyd site discography. He claims to have never heard Roger Waters material but that just cannot be true cause he totally rips him off. It is quite good actually. Very similar to the wall. His name is Lee Saunders and the album is called a Promise of Peace and yes it is total Floyd-like. It is just so funny he claims to have not been inspired by Mr. Waters. He even names songs Pt. one, Pt. two, etc...

I am so ashamed that I have made 46 posts today. I need to get a life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And how does that help? :P

But I can't say I know of any artists like Pink Floyd, I'm wondering what Pink Floyd album I should get? Not trying to highjack the thread or anything ;)

Edited by s_vonen

But I can't say I know of any artists like Pink Floyd, I'm wondering what Pink Floyd album I should get? Not trying to highjack the thread or anything ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if your just starting I'd say go with something more popular, dark side of the moon, wish you were here or the wall, and after a while start getting into some of the lesser known stuff ie piper at the gates of dawn or animals, but pretty much anything you get is amazing because pink floyd is fuckin great.

Edited by slashrocks

these bands though... I just hear a bunch of wankery in them. It's like they're trying to be all amazing and artsy, but aren't actually there yet, they are missing something, missing the feeling. Floyd doesn't seem to be TRYING to be something better than they are, they are just amazing in what they do.

these bands though... I just hear a bunch of wankery in them. It's like they're trying to be all amazing and artsy, but aren't actually there yet, they are missing something, missing the feeling. Floyd doesn't seem to be TRYING to be something better than they are, they are just amazing in what they do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well...you asked for similar bands not bands as good.

Uriah Heap is pretty damn good...i have demons and wizards if you want to im me...

it's in my profile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So creating a double concept album isn't showing any signs of wankery or trying to be pompous one bit?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So creating a double concept album isn't showing any signs of wankery or trying to be pompous one bit?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no because they were good at it.

How? What made them any different? Why do they deserve to be God-like and anyone else peasants?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they're music is just a million times better than anyone else in the same category. Just the right group of people, the right instrument arrangements, the right production techniques, the right sound, the right inspiration, overall... the right touch.

If you compare it to writing, it is like what Mark Twain once said:

"The difference between the right word and nearly the right word is like the difference between the lightning bug and lightning."

Pink Floyd had the right touch and some other people had nearly the right touch, but that little bit made a GIGANTIC difference.

Edited by DirtyDeeds