Eddie Van Halens Eruption

Ringo

SO  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i personally say Overrated...its easy as hell to play. you can fuck up and just improvise and it still sounds good. people drool too much over it. other solos like Vai's For the Love of God are much better and deserve more credit rock1

completely and utterly underrated.

You have to remember it was released in 1978 and he was doing it way before that, proberly in 75 or earlier.

When it was released no one had ever, never heard anything like it. EVH brought fretboard tapping en masse. He singlehandly created "that 80's sound"

Eruption was the first of its kind and should be looked as a milestone in guitar history. I know its not too hard to play, i can play it. Yet in the 2nd half it is amazing and it SOUNDS awesome too (alot of shredding and fast playing can sound like crap even though it might be techically hard)

Even though their were "shredders" before EVH (proberly the first was Ritchie Blackmore) he invented and brought into the mainstream the modern form of "shredding." Eddie is just as influentual as Hendrix and i would argue he is more so.

Stevie Vai, Stach, Malsteem, Rhoads etc they just copied the fretboard tappoing style of Eddie. They all admit they do, everybody did it.

Eruption rules rock3

Edited by johnezz

Well its true dude,

I'm guessing you have listerned to Van Halen's debut album, realesed in 78.

There is nothing at all like it before it was released, it had a very "80's" sound.

Sure enough for the whole first half of the 80's, everyone sounded like Van Halen.

People were playing like Eddie, and learning his styles and technquies.

Eddie created the 80s mate, its not hard to see at all, sure there were other band, but Van Halen was the main contributor by far.

Stevie Vai, Stach, Malsteem, Rhoads etc they just copied the fretboard tappoing style of Eddie.  They all admit they do, everybody did it.

Eruption rules  rock3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

uhhh EVH didnt invent tapping, he copied Bo diddley, the real inventer of tapping. EVH just put a bunch of crazy distortion on it and now everyone realizes how awsome it is.

and im not saying eruption sucks, IT FUCKING ROCKS, just people start saying its the best solo ever and it makes me mad

o ya and richie blackmore kills rock3rock3rock3rock3

Stevie Vai, Stach, Malsteem, Rhoads etc they just copied the fretboard tappoing style of Eddie.  They all admit they do, everybody did it.

Eruption rules  rock3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

uhhh EVH didnt invent tapping, he copied Bo diddley, the real inventer of tapping. EVH just put a bunch of crazy distortion on it and now everyone realizes how awsome it is.

and im not saying eruption sucks, IT FUCKING ROCKS, just people start saying its the best solo ever and it makes me mad

o ya and richie blackmore kills rock3rock3rock3rock3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, i stand corrected.

But you must admit, Eddie did bring tapping into the mainstream.

Now for something underrated, i think Mr Bo Diddley is defantly one of them.

I agree with you though, Eruption is far from the best solo ever, but it makes my top 10.

I agree with you though, Eruption is far from the best solo ever,  but it makes my top 10.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

without eddie and eruption tapping would have never made it

Thank you Eddie!

I agree with you though, Eruption is far from the best solo ever,  but it makes my top 10.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

without eddie and eruption tapping would have never made it

Thank you Eddie!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lets just say tapping shouldnt have made it

lets just say tapping shouldnt have made it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why

tapping is fun shit!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tapping is awesome and exciting when used properly and is not overdone, its perfect to use in the height of a solo.

Tapping is also hell fun to do, i get such a rush tapping infront of an audience, infact i get a rush playing any style of guitar infront of people, but more so with fretboard tapping (Mr Crowley is a common song i play at gigs rock1 )