Flood Control

xxAmandaxx

Ok, Im a very fast typer - I type as part of my job, so Im awfully good at it.

Therefore I find it mightily annoying when I want to go and post another comment somewhere and I have to wait for the Flood Control sign to go away...I mean, I can understand that you dont want people making those automatic posts whatever they are called...but is it really necessary to have an 80 second wait? How about 40 seconds?

Maybe Im wrong about this, but does anyone else hate the flood control?

Ok, Im a very fast typer - I type as part of my job, so Im awfully good at it.

Therefore I find it mightily annoying when I want to go and post another comment somewhere and I have to wait for the Flood Control sign to go away...I mean, I can understand that you dont want people making those automatic posts whatever they are called...but is it really necessary to have an 80 second wait? How about 40 seconds?

Maybe Im wrong about this, but does anyone else hate the flood control?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had flood control when i was trying to reply here :angry:

And flood control really pisses me off seeing as im such a postwhore :lol:

Yes, I hate it very much. It actually happened right now, when I was trying to respond in this thread. I had to sit and wait about a minute before I could post. Very annoying.

Yes, I hate it very much. It actually happened right now, when I was trying to respond in this thread. I had to sit and wait about a minute before I could post. Very annoying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea it happened just then when I tried to go from that last post, to responding to this one...VERY VERY ANNOYING!!! :anger:

I knew about spammers, but it only slows down post whores, it doesnt stop them. So unless youre a spammer, it seems a bit annoying.

I see the need for it, but 80 seconds just seems a bit too long is all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if i do remember correctly (and I could be wrong) i think it was either bumped up to 80 after the club incident or the irs... wither way threads were growing waaaaaay to fast within minutes you'd already be on the 10th page.

this will prevent that from happening so fast.

Flood control makes me do other things while I am on here... its good... it makes it so your not always staring at the forum and maybe see other people's opninions on the matter before having to jump in with your own two cents all the time.

The flood-control mechanism is there for a reason, and it won't be going away.

We've had problems in the past with certain troublemakers flooding the forum with dozens of nonsense threads for laughs - and they wound up pushing all of the legitimate threads off the front page of the forum. The flood-control slows them down, which helps if no mods are on the forum when they do this. If the flood-control wasn't in place, the spammers could do a lot of damage and totally ruin the forum. That's why it's there.

• 9 months later...
30 or 60 perhaps. 80 is just too long... :(

That won't be happening anytime soon.

In fact, lately I've been wondering if we should increase the flood control so that more people would actually read existing threads before starting a new thread on a topic that's already being discussed. It gets pretty frustrating when people start multiple threads on the same topic -- especially when the topic is already being discussed on the same page!

Increasing the flood control might also stop the recent surge in nonsense/crap threads, where people seem to just start a thread on whatever thought pops into their heads at the time instead of making threads with thoughtful intelligent topics that everybody can discuss and debate.