Marshall MG Amps

Can somebody please tell me if the Marshall MG series amps are worth getting. I am looking at the Marshall MG30DFX. It has all effects I would want built in it, but are they good? Is the MG30DFX too small to get a real good tone out of it? Do the MGs give good delay and flange (maybe distortion?). What other type of Marshall is worth getting rather than the MGs. I play rock (ex. GNR, Ozzy, Metallica, etc...) and other type of music. Please tell me what you know about the Marshall MG Series amps, I'll be grateful. I don't want anything exceeding $400. I've been playing guitar for probably about 9 months or so. My guitar is a Greg Bennet Design Model IC 30/TR. My first guitar and I love it. It serves me well, but later on in the years I'm hoping to get a Gibson Les Paul when I think I'm worthy enough.

Thanks and Peace out

Edited by chris_ikhtak

I have a Marshall MG100DFX (Guitar: Epi LP Custom) and I'm very satisfied with it. I like the distortion very much. Very good for playing GNR!

I hardly use effects, so I haven't tested them much. I've used the flanger abit, and it sounds good to me.

But I'm no expert in amps and stuff. This is just my opinion. I've only played for seven myself.

MG are decent, old valvestates sound better though IMO. Before they switched to the AVT tube hybrids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using an MG-30 DFX for practise, recording and small jams with friends.

I'd say it's very good for blues based rock like GN'R, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Hendrix and stuff.

I don't use the effects, but reverb, delay, chorus and flanger they all sound very nice. The clean channel sucks, but it has a nice distorsion/overdrive channel, and it's quite solid and reliable.

Thanks for your comments guys. And backslazh, I've listened to your recordings of SCOM and Paradise City and they are great. That gives me an idea about what sound I might get out of an MG Marshall. And Conny, thanks for the info on the effects.

More comments always appreciated :D

More comments always appreciated :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recorded this with my MG-30 DFX:

click, save target as

The ryhthm guitar was done on a Squier Telecaster Custom II with P-90 soapbar single coils using the neck pickup, and the solo was done on a Fender Stratocaster with alnico single coils using the bridge pickup. The middle part is the Squier Tele again with both P-90's (middle position).

The recording quality is not very good, but you should get the idea. The MG-30 settings were:

Overdrive Channel - 2 (slight crunch)

Bass - 7

Mids - 5

Treble - 9

FDD (tube simulation) - off (rhythm, middle part), on (solo)

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Conny, thanks for making that little mp3 for me man. That was awesome. I'm going to go to a new huge guitar shop and test out the Marshall MG30DFX and the Roland Cube 60 (if they have it) on my guitar. If I decided on the Roland Cube 60 and say if later on in the years I bought a Gibson Les Paul it would be weird, playing a Les Paul in something that is not a Marshall, huh. Well I'll test out the amps and see.

i got a MG100DFX and its reallly good, though at first i was really ticked off cuz i didnt know what that echo like thing was, till i figured out it was the reverb turned all the way up, since then ive been really happy with it, with my Ibanez IC400 with Alnico pors 2 it sounds amazing, i dont have enough money to get a gibson :(

Conny, thanks for making that little mp3 for me man. That was awesome. I'm going to go to a new huge guitar shop and test out the Marshall MG30DFX and the Roland Cube 60 (if they have it) on my guitar. If I decided on the Roland Cube 60 and say if later on in the years I bought a Gibson Les Paul it would be weird, playing a Les Paul in something that is not a Marshall, huh. Well I'll test out the amps and see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a marshall mg is not a "real" marshall. if you get a gibson les paul and play into an MG you will not sound like the other players who play marshalls. Go with a jcm 800, jmp, jubilee or something that is voiced like a classic marshall.