need help

hey, i started playing in feb and i at the begining i thought i was progressing really fast but now it seems things have slowed down and i dont feel like im improving. so could some of you guys tell me things i could practise or learn.

im pretty good on :-

- Power Chords and Normal Chords

- Barre Chords (but i need to practise thoes abit more)

- Penatonic scales

- Ive learnd parts of many songs altho i cant really play a full song yet

Also if there are any pro guitarist out there, could you tell me if you think im doing good for how long ive had it, because i really wanna be a good guitarist and join a band and just be able to play what i feel like coz like alot of people on here its my dream.

Thanx:)

I'm in the exact same spot as you. I can play the first 10 seconds of every song, and tear up the pentatonics like a champ

hey, i started playing in feb and i at the begining i thought i was progressing really fast but now it seems things have slowed down and i dont feel like im improving. so could some of you guys tell me things i could practise or learn.

im pretty good on :-

- Power Chords and Normal Chords

- Barre Chords (but i need to practise thoes abit more)

- Penatonic scales

- Ive learnd parts of many songs altho i cant really play a full song yet

Also if there are any pro guitarist out there, could you tell me if you think im doing good for how long ive had it, because i really wanna be a good guitarist and join a band and just be able to play what i feel like coz like alot of people on here its my dream.

Thanx:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I'm pretty much the same stage as you and I just decided to go and learn some new songs. Maybe not the whole song all the way through. But main parts like the main riff, progression and or solo.

I'd recommend learning some Iron Maiden solos, especially some of Dave Murrays. Dave's solos use alot of trilling (i.e hammer-ons and pull off in rapid succession) while moving up and down the fret board. This gets you used to moving up and down the board a bit more while building some strength in the ol' fingers.

If you're not into Maiden, just try and learn a few solos and figure out what styles some of your favourite players like to play in.

That;s what I'd recommend anyway. People who influence you, don't copy their style exactly but you could also use all your influences in order to improve.

OK, now try a bit of theory. Learn your major and minor scales and how they tie into one another, and why. For example, Amin=Cmaj. Also, instead of just learning how to play the first few bars of a song, try and get through the entire song. Songs like Patience and SCOM are pretty good ones for beginners. They'll teach you most of your major-chord shapes in the open position.

Just remember, playing guitar is a jouney, not an activity. Good luck! rock1

yeah fnx guys, i'll try some of that stuff. the fing is tho, when i come to goin on my guitar wich is like everyday, i always seem to find myself just playing things i can alredy do perfectly nearly! n e wayz fnx, i'll try this stuff out n practise it.

Just remember, playing guitar is a jouney, not an activity. Good luck!  rock1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, technically, a journey is an activity anyway :D .

I just suggest that you find a style or whatever that you wanna get into, and dig deep. Get as clued up about everything as possible, practice whenever possible, get some tabs from the net, mess around and make up a riff or two of your own...stuff like that. rock1

Crap. This makes me wanna cry! I've played since january, but I don't know penatonic scales or any other scales :( I have to get a grip and learn some theory soon. But I hate to sit down and read when all I wanna do is play!

Duff31: I sure ain't no pro guitarist, but I think you've doing very well! You're doing better then me, and I've played a month longer! :blink:

Edited by backslazh

Crap. This makes me wanna cry! I've played since january, but I don't know penatonic scales or any other scales :( I have to get a grip and learn some theory soon. But I hate to sit down and read when all I wanna do is play!

Duff31: I sure ain't no pro guitarist, but I think you've doing very well! You're doing better then me, and I've played a month longer!  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude.... You don't know scales?

How did you improv the outro to Paradise City?

Did you just do certain clips from live bits, or what?

Duff31: I sure ain't no pro guitarist, but I think you've doing very well! You're doing better then me, and I've played a month longer!  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry about where other people are at. All musicians progress at their own pace. Just keep up what you're doing, and once you get better, try and learn something else. Everytime you notice your skill level improving, try something new.

• 2 weeks later...