Gibson or Fender

READ POST BEFORE VOTING!  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(If your not going to post why you picked "Gibson or Fender" then don't bother voting please)Hey I'm just starting to play guitar and I'm practicing on aucustic right now and trying to figure which guitar is better for just starting out on electric? Opinions?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Gibson, and I love it, however my friend has a Fender Classic Series 50's Stratocaster which is immense to play. The Fender feels alot more smoother to play and is quite a bit smaller in size although I think my Gibson sounds better. Looks wise Gibson wins hands down though, and for beating people up with your guitar, Gibson just edges it.

I'm going to have to buy a Fender though.

Guest gnr>everything

I have a Fender Squier(starter guitar), and it was great for the price and to start on...but now that I am becoming more advanced, and want to upgrade, I am going to buy an Epiphone(Gibson)...i prefer Gibson, because I think they look better and there's just something about them that atract me to them moreso then Fender.

Dude get a Fender Stratocaster

Reason:

Firstly they are half the price of a Les Paul, they sound better, they are much more versitile (blues, jazz, pop, folk, funk, country, classic rock, hard rock, classic metal, HELL ANTHING! except thrash and death metal but you can get away with it) Les Paul have a crappy clean tone i think, WAY TOO muddy, a Strat has a much nicer clean tone and they are well known for it and highly respected for it. A Strat looks much better in my opinion, and the main thing: STRATS ARE MUCH EASIER TO PLAY, enough said, Gibson necks are poor compared to the slick feel of a Fender neck.

If you want examples of a Stratocaster listern to:

David Gilmour

Jeff Beck

Jimi Hendrix

Mark Knofler

Stevie Ray Vaughan (has an AWESOME strat tone)

Ritchie Blackmore

Eric Clapton (Post Cream)

If you want a Heavy Metal guitar, get an ESP/LTD.

I have a Fender Squier(starter guitar), and it was great for the price and to start on...but now that I am becoming more advanced, and want to upgrade, I am going to buy an Epiphone(Gibson)...i prefer Gibson, because I think they look better and there's just something about them that atract me to them moreso then Fender.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am in the exact same position as you.

EXACT same position.

How long have you been playing?

FENDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

people say gibsons better just because they "look" cool. <_< i love les pauls but they are heavy, expensive and need adjusting. stratocasters are lite sound incredibly beautiful are less expensive and play better than most gibsons <_<

trust me, theres a reason guys like eric clapton, jimi hendrix, jeff beck, eric johnson, yngwie malmsteen, dick dale, richie blackmore, david gilmour, amd mark knofler use fender. rock3

I have both gibosn SG and fender strat , the SG blows away the strat in every single way. The SG has nicer clean and distorted tone , easier and much faster to play on plus its ALOT lighter. However I believe strats shine much more when on a good pedal rack, and I normally just play straight through a marshall amp.

I prefer the humbucker tone to the single coil of the Fenders.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know I sound like a dumbass but what is that exactly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A single coil is the kind of pickup (electronics) on a Stratocaster:

DimarzioDP170Big.jpg

A humbucker is the kind on a Les Paul

1014-NK.jpg

As for me, I prefer Fenders because of the versitality you get with 3 pickups.

Guest gnr>everything

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am in the exact same position as you.

EXACT same position.

How long have you been playing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since last June, so a little over a year...you?

Gibsons, actually im not gonna explain why, but i will say Gibsons dont have a crappy clean tone, and they are much more versatile than Fenders, though its humbuckers compromises the light tone a strat has, its doesnt mean you cant play jazz, country and anything, plus you also get death metal, the gain those guitars have is amazing, and the clean tone maybe lower but not crappier, is very sweet, plus, they have ten times more sustain than a normal strat cuz of its glued on neck.

I Myself, prefer a thousand times Gibson over Fender...

Fender.

- better value for money

Fender starts at 350,- bucks (Mexico Standart Series). The stock pickups can't live up to professional standarts, but they do get the job done and you can still replace them later on. A decent and nice looking Gibson starts at about three times the price of a Fender.

- more versatile

Strats and Teles have the better clean tones, especially on the neck pickups. And if you put a humbucker into the bridge position of a Stratocaster, you can get fatass rock tones (AC/DC, GN'R) like from a Les Paul. But you will NEVER make a Les Paul sound like a Stratocaster, no matter how much you modify it.

- don't need to be pampered

A guitar is an INSTRUMENT, not something you should be afraid to break if you only look at it. I've never seen cracked headstocks on a Fender. You can treat this guitar clean or mean - it will always be there for you.

- who cares about the look?

Gibsons look nicer with all the bindings, maple tops and gold hardware. But at the end of the day, SOUND is what really matters. What was good enough for Hendrix is good enough for ANY guitarist. Slash recorded parts of AFD on a Strat, Page recorded the entire first Zep album with a Tele. What other proof do you need for that a Fender can sound just as cool and rock just as hard as a Gibson?

GET A FENDER!!!!!!!!

@ molander

Instead of the '72 Tele, check out the SQUIER TELECASTER CUSTOM II (the one with the P-90's). It has the same look, but it's a lot more versatile and has much better pickups. The dry tone (unplugged) of this guitar is already unbelieveable, but the pickups just sound out of this world. Also, it has one of the nicest necks I've ever played on an electric guitar, real chunky, just like old Les Pauls. Better value for less money, check this guitar out!