what should i look for when buying a new guitar

ive got £500 to buy a new guitar, ive been playing for over a year now but i dont really know the difference between any electric guitars except their shapes and colours.

has anyone got any suggestions? rock4

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyway, in reference to that, here's my suggestion:

Do not go all out yet (Although you don't really have the money to do that anyway). I would suggest going to a local music shop and trying out the guitars, and seeing which one suits you best.

Although, I've only been playin' for about 6 months or so, so I don't have too much knowledge on the subject.

But you should definitely try out a guitar before you buy one.

this is the guitar I'm getting soon. Fender Toronado GT HH

This is such a great sounding guitar, not like a standard fender it sounds more like a les paul with the humbuckers and maple neck. Seriously for £450 this is a fucking amazing guitar.

Styling is a matter of personal taste though.

Good for someone learning too.

You should seriously consider this.

EDIT: Also this is great for a guns n' roses style sound if you're looking for something like that.

Edited by sabre

This is such a great sounding guitar, not like a standard fender it sounds more like a les paul with the humbuckers and maple neck. Seriously for £450 this is a fucking amazing guitar.

EDIT: Also this is great for a guns n' roses style sound if you're looking for something like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, those Toronados are fucking sweet! They sound pretty damn good, and they are so fucking cool looking. I love the paint job on those things. God, now I wanna go run out and pick one up!

ive got £500 to buy a new guitar, ive been playing for over a year now but i dont really know the difference between any electric guitars except their shapes and colours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get an ESP/LTD, you wont be disapointed! What ever you do don't get an Epiphone because truthfully they suck. the LTD's use quality wood and electronics, and barely any finish flaws.

ESP Guitars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get an ESP/LTD, you wont be disapointed! What ever you do don't get an Epiphone because truthfully they suck. the LTD's use quality wood and electronics, and barely any finish flaws.

ESP Guitars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude! Those are EXACTLY the guitars I am looking at right now.

My teacher (Who owns the store where I receive lessons) is gettin' a shipment of the LTD Les Paul copies, so I am gonna look into those, and that is exactly what he said. He said that they are much better quality guitars than the Epihpones. Interesting, I had never really known that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats the same shop i was going to look for one in brighton

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well shape has minimal effect on tone, and paint job has almost none what so ever.

The BIGGEST effect on tone is the WOOD it is made out of. Fenders are made out of Alder or Swamp Ash, these produce a snappy, bright and lively tone. It's excellent for lead playing as it cuts through the mix perfectly. The woods are pefect matches for Single Coil pickups, these have sparkling highs and great bass, their output is not very high and they can tend to lack mids.

Mahogany is the wood used in Gibsons, it produces a warm, fatter tone, and complements Humbuckers and P-90s very well. The tone is chunky, with smooth highs, fat mids and a tight bass. It can tend to be muddy sound though and not very good for leads and can stuggle to cut through the mix, but it perfect to rythym playing.

Basswood is a new wood on the market, Ibanez uses it widely and it is a match made in heaven with Humbuckers, it's the pefect wood for Hi-Gain use.

To make it simple:

The Stratocaster excells in Cleans, Blues, Rock n Roll, Hark Rock Leads, Physcdellic, (it's bascaaly the best all rounder)

TeleCaster, a more "twangy" version of the Strat, great for country.

Les Paul, great for the classic Rock N Roll overdrive, can handle all Metal very well, Some what good for blues too.

ESP and Ibanez, METAL!!!! the peferct guitars for all your shredding and thrash metal.

ESP and Ibanez, METAL!!!! the peferct guitars for all your shredding and thrash metal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heres a ibanez model i like:

GSA60_BKN_1P_02.jpg

and two les paul esps i like:

ec400at_blk.jpg

ec400_vsb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the ESP Eclipses's (LP copy) are very good, better than Epiphone, if you can, get one with 24 Frets. The Active EMG pickups in the ESP's are the ultimate Metal pickups, very high output and awesome crunch (Metallica use them)

My Favourite ESP is the KH-2:

kh202.jpg

Thats the cheapest version of it, but still come in at $699 US Dollars.

i went to my local guitar shop today and starting playing one of the esp eclipse models, it was awsome, most comfortable guitar ive ever picked up, it has great weight, 24 frets and for only £475 check it out:

LTD EC-200QM £475

ec200qm_blk.jpg

FEATURES: set neck construction; 24.75” scale; agathis body w/quilted maple top; 3-piece mahogany neck; rosewood fingerboard; dot inlays w/model name at 12th fret; EMG-HZ H-4 pickups; 2 volume & 1 tone control w/3-way toggle; black hardware; tune-o-matic bridge w/stop tailpiece; white binding on neck & headstock; 24 XJ frets

FINISH: See-thru Black (STBLK)

Note: its a bit more black when u actually see it, the pic looks a bit brown

i went to my local guitar shop today and starting playing one of the esp eclipse models, it was awsome, most comfortable guitar ive ever picked up, it has great weight, 24 frets and for only £475 check it out:

LTD EC-200QM £475

ec200qm_blk.jpg

FEATURES: set neck construction; 24.75” scale; agathis body w/quilted maple top; 3-piece mahogany neck; rosewood fingerboard; dot inlays w/model name at 12th fret; EMG-HZ H-4 pickups; 2 volume & 1 tone control w/3-way toggle; black hardware; tune-o-matic bridge w/stop tailpiece; white binding on neck & headstock; 24 XJ frets

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESP's LTD line is actually really good. I'd stay away from the 50 or 100 model series. They definitely start getting better around the 400 series, with the set necks. But all in all, they are great guitars.

LTD EC-200QM £475

ec200qm_blk.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESP's LTD line is actually really good. I'd stay away from the 50 or 100 model series. They definitely start getting better around the 400 series, with the set necks. But all in all, they are great guitars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this has a set in neck, i forgot to say

save another hundred or too and buy a jackson. i've had les pauls and they're just too heavy, i'm done with em'. especially epiphones, they're just garbage

anyway, it's imperative that you get the floyd rose system. if you play hard like me, the guitar will go right out of tune in a couple minutes. that's why slash uses so many different guitars, cause they go out of tune.

stringing up the floyd rose is a bitch, though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ain't that the truth!

Whammy bars are overrated. They're fun the first 10 minutes, but then they get really annoying. A good idea is to get a set of Schaller locking tuners, if you aren't using a Floyd Rose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ain't that the truth!

Whammy bars are overrated. They're fun the first 10 minutes, but then they get really annoying. A good idea is to get a set of Schaller locking tuners, if you aren't using a Floyd Rose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep i hate Floyd Roses with a passion, my mate let me borrow his Ibanez RG for 4 months while he was overseas, beautiful guitar, but the Rose pissed me off so much, i prefer the vintage style Fender ones much better, they produce a much more powerful tone and even if you snap a string you can keep playing but not a Rose lol. But yeah, Vintage Tremolo + Graphite Nut + Locking Tuners = A killer combo that will rarely got out of tune if you screw the 6 screws on the bridge down tight.

Oh and don't get the LTD with the H4 EMGs, they sound good playing in your room, but in gigging they suck big time, they are very muddy sounding. Go the model up and get the one with EMG Active pickups in it (the 60 or 81 or 85 EMG pickups are the active ones) I wouldn't really go for the EMG's though, i would buy the LTD with the H4, save up and rip them out and put in a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck.

Woah woah, dudes. I'm new to a lot of this guitar shit.

I think I should get one of those tune lockers or whatever the hell you guys were saying, since I tend to play hard, and abuse it a lot.

So this brings me to a few questions....

What the hell was the thing called?

What the hell does the thing do?

Where the hell can I find this thing?

And how much (the hell?) will this thing cost?

Thanks.

love,

PB

Woah woah, dudes. I'm new to a lot of this guitar shit.

I think I should get one of those tune lockers or whatever the hell you guys were saying, since I tend to play hard, and abuse it a lot.

So this brings me to a few questions....

What the hell was the thing called?

What the hell does the thing do?

Where the hell can I find this thing?

And how much (the hell?) will this thing cost?

Thanks.

love,

PB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the higher model LTD's and all ESP's have locking tuners.

And whats this "thing" your talking about lol

Haha, thanks.

And BTW, the thing that I was talking about was that tuner thing, but you answered the questions by saying that it comes in higher models.

Do you know exactly what model and up that it comes in?

I plan on purchasing one of these LTDs, since my teacher is getting a few of them.

Haha, thanks.

And BTW, the thing that I was talking about was that tuner thing, but you answered the questions by saying that it comes in higher models.

Do you know exactly what model and up that it comes in?

I plan on purchasing one of these LTDs, since my teacher is getting a few of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to Compare them...

LTD EC-400AT > MSRP: $799

ec400at_blk.jpg

FEATURES: set neck construction; 24.75” scale; mahogany body; 3-piece mahogany neck; rosewood fingerboard; flag inlays w/model name at 12th fret; Seymour Duncan JB/59 chrome covered pickups; 2 volume & 1 tone control w/3-way toggle; chrome hardware; Earvana compensated nut; Grover tuners; tune-o-matic bridge w/stop tailpiece; creme binding on body, neck & headstock; 22 XJ frets

FINISHES: Black (BLK), Metallic Gold (MGO)

LTD EC-400 > MSRP: $849

ec400_blk.jpg

FEATURES: set neck construction; 24.75” scale; mahogany body; 3-piece mahogany neck; rosewood fingerboard; flag inlays w/model name at 12th fret; EMG 81/60 active pickups; 2 volume & 1 tone control w/3-way toggle; black hardware; Grover tuners; Earvana compensated nut; tune-o-matic bridge w/stop tailpiece; white binding on neck & headstock; 24 XJ frets

FINISHES: See-thru Black Cherry (STBC), Black (BLK), Vintage Sunburst (VSB)

LTD EC-200QM > MSRP: $599

ec200qm_blk.jpg

FINISHES: See-thru Black (STBLK)

I would get one of those 400 Series models if i was you, Yes they are more pricey than the 200 Model but they are much better. Firstly they are a All Mahogany body, which produces a much fatter tone (Gibson uses the same wood)than the the poorer quality Agathis body the 200's have. The 400's have Grover tuners which the 200's dont have, i assume the 200's would have some no-name ones, Grover is a well known brand and even if they are not locking ones they will still hold tune very well. The LTD EC-400AT has Seymour Duncans which are very good Pickups, and you will get a Gibson Les Paul sound out of them (perfect for your classic Rock: Led Zeppelin, GN'R etc) but the trade of is that it only has 22 frets, but if your playing Classic Rock thats all you will need. The LTD EC-400 has the EMG 81/60 pickups which are Perfect for Thrash metal and all types of metal in general, they dont have very good clean tones unless you have some Effect Pedals to alter the tone, James Hetfield from Metallica uses the exact same Pickups (so you can get that bone-shattering crunch he gets), and the advantage of this guitar is the 24 frets which you WILL need for thrash metal for all those blistering solos. The 200 series has H4 EMG pickups which are no where near as good as the Active EMG pickups (Active pickups means they have a pre-amplifier inside the pickup which boots output considerbly, They run off a 9 Volt battery that is kept inside the guitar) on the 400 model, The H4's are not good at high volumes. The 400 series also have a Earvana compensated nut, which keeps intonation perfect so your guitar will sound in-tune alot better. Lastly the 400 series looks much sexier with the Flag inlays on the fretboard and the body binding on the LTD EC-400AT model.

It's totally up to you mate, but if i was you i'd get out the extra cash and get a 400 model, they are very, very good guitars.

Edited by johnezz