GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD EVER

rocketsredglare

johnezz

on the pink floyd thing, they started off cool, the 60s...its was cool, they weren't incredibly groundbreaking, they tinkered with some technology but never seemed to fuck with the basic format...and to be honest, 20 minute songs were not an anomoly, look at zappa, captain beefheart, the doors, ELP, tons of em did that late 60s onwards, they got REALLY boring too by the 70s, just a dinosaur rock act capable of filling stadiums, void in terms of any great relevance, and i always found the song writing to be rather trite...but, ur opinion is urs and i respect it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes i know that long jams were not uniquie to Floyd, but they had some of the best ones. And yes their effcts are better and more revonlutionary than any other band, so there. I would defantly not say they got boring in the 70s, all their best and most creative work was in the 70's.

Now i could go on about the Sex Pistols and my dislike for them, but i'm not going to lol, too bloody tierd, it's 2:30 in the morning.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gnr>everything
the best rock bands ever are:

the beatles

the rolling stones

the who

pink floyd

led zeppelin

its a fact

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

fact huh? lol the pistols could piss over those on their worst night based on their sheer honesty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congratulations, you've just made one of the dumbest comments I've ever read.

spare us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well there ya go, i get called dumb for havin' an opinion and reasons to back it up with, as opposed to just statements with nothing to substanciate them...it's ok, if u can't justify ur beliefs, cool by me, u might wanna look into it a little in ur personal time though...the idea isn't to convince...is just a fact for fact thing, i mean, people drag this typa shit out but it's generally clear whoose made their point proper, ramblers'll ramble regardless. let em.

Edited by rocketsredglare

spare us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well there ya go, i get called dumb for havin' an opinion and reasons to back it up with, as opposed to just statements with nothing to substanciate them...it's ok, if u can't justify ur beliefs, cool by me, u might wanna look into it a little in ur personal time though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't call you dumb, I'm sure you're convinced of your view.

What I'm saying is that this could go on forever without anyone ending up convinced of your point no matter how good you make it.

Seriously, d'ya think a life-long Floyd or Stones or Zeppelin fan is gonna be turned against them because of an internet discussion?

My fav band of all time is GnR , but The greatest Hard Rock band is AC/DC , gotta be , the riffs , lyrics and swagger are to me what it's all about , toughness and plain real , nothing is forced or fake and it comes across , they are badass without having to play that role . They are no bullshit and continue to kick ass into thier fifties .

Peace GnR Nation :shades:

Guest gnr>everything
well, see, no i haven't at all and i don't think u could prove otherwise either...whereas i think i could go to enormous lengths in justifying my statement. would u like me to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love to see you try.

you guys and your damn antics with semantics. yes pink floyd and metallica are rock n' roll, jeez.

it kinda sucks that i can't vote for PF,,i'm going with the grand scheme of things, and since the final cut, SOC, meddle, and ummagumma sucked, they don't get my vote. metallica would've won if it weren't for st. piece of shit. and i can't vote for guns cause axl usually sucks in concert. (you know he does). i'll have to give my vote to sublime since 40 oz. to freedom and the self titled one were so good. robbin the hood is good as hell too, especially for being recorded on a 4 track.

so freakin innovative

its a tie between Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and the Hendrix Experience

all were complete masters at what they did and all are remembered for that, not much bands can come close to what they did. no one will ever match the heart and soul hendrix put into his music and they all around just changed music forever... rock3

Edited by Ringo

Metallica.

To me they never sold out. I love the video for One, and i can only imagine what videos for For Whom The Bell Tolls or Fade To Blake, Master, or especially The Thing That Should Not Be would have been like.

Plus they were one of the biggest underground bands, so to say. They came from the radio and record lables hating them to everyone giving them the utmost respect. 'Tallica rules.

my favorites

led zepp- trully in their own league when it came to talent and songwriting and making it all flow together..trully in their own league with their music

pink floyd- great message, great songwriting, and great sound...very unique

queen- simple..freddie mercury and brian may..great songs

the doors- jim morrison and co. have a lot of good songs

gnr- we're all fans..no description necessary

pearl jam-buy the album 10 if u dont believe me....

also, aerosmith, the eagles and many more here... there's not just one band here guys..come on

well, see, no i haven't at all and i don't think u could prove otherwise either...whereas i think i could go to enormous lengths in justifying my statement. would u like me to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sex Pistols may have only been together for two years in the late '70s, but they changed the face of popular music. Through their raw, nihilistic singles and violent performances, the band revolutionized the idea of what rock & roll could be. In England, the group was considered dangerous to the very fabric of society and was banned across the country; in America, they didn't have the same impact, but countless bands in both countries were inspired by the sheer sonic force of their music, while countless others were inspired by their independent, do-it-yourself ethics. Even if they didn't release any singles by themselves, there was an implicit independence in the way they played their music and handled their career. The band gave birth to the massive independent music underground in England and America that would soon include bands that didn't have a direct musical connection to the Sex Pistols' initial three-minute blasts of rage, but couldn't have existed without those singles.

says it all really...which of those other bands did that in that short space of time with that limited a degree of output?

Edited by rocketsredglare

Guest gnr>everything

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sex Pistols may have only been together for two years in the late '70s, but they changed the face of popular music. Through their raw, nihilistic singles and violent performances, the band revolutionized the idea of what rock & roll could be. In England, the group was considered dangerous to the very fabric of society and was banned across the country; in America, they didn't have the same impact, but countless bands in both countries were inspired by the sheer sonic force of their music, while countless others were inspired by their independent, do-it-yourself ethics. Even if they didn't release any singles by themselves, there was an implicit independence in the way they played their music and handled their career. The band gave birth to the massive independent music underground in England and America that would soon include bands that didn't have a direct musical connection to the Sex Pistols' initial three-minute blasts of rage, but couldn't have existed without those singles.

says it all really...which of those other bands did that in that short space of time with that limited a degree of output?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, and... I'm still waiting for you to tell me how they "piss on them on their worst night" All you told me was how they were an influence, and all of the bands I named were/are bigger influences

And they were dangerous...so that makes them better than all those other bands? I don't think so. Nice try though.

Rock N' Roll?

A few, but to me, AC/DC take it -- over the Stones, over everybody.

Why? Because i'm an extremely biased AC/DC fan who'd refuse to ever vote any other way...  :P

....But also because rock n' roll is what they do best. They set out to be a straight up and down rock n' roll band, and over the 30+ years of their career, they've managed to keep the same formula. They've kept rock n' roll alive over the decades, and as a band, they're what rock n' roll is all about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100%

Pink Floyd is NOT Rock & Roll. Not even anywhere near it. They ARE the best band ever, period. But the're not Rock & Roll.

Nor is Metallica. The're metal.

A few bands that aren't really Rock & Roll imo, but edge towards it and are great would be Queen, Aerosmith and Guns n' Roses.

For me it's a tie between The Rolling Stones and The Beatles, if you'd like to count them as Rock & Roll.

I guess real Rock & Roll are people like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and Elvis Presley.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm for me i would consider Rock N' Roll NOT to be a genre, rather it's what is NOT pop, blues etc.

Led Zeppelin. No two Led Zeppelin songs sounded the same. They experimented with sound and created heavy metal.

Black Sabbath and Deep Purple made Metal buddy, not Zep.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Led Zeppelin practically made the Black Sabbath sound. Black Sabbath listened to Led Zeppelin 1 and decided to make a heavier sound.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not exactly, Sabbath we're always a hardcore blues band (as Earth) and Iommi de-tuned his guitar because it was easier on it damaged fingers. Led Zeppelin I is not a heavy album, Black Sabbath, Sabbath's debut album in 1970 was very heavy, far more heavier than anything Zep ever did, Plus they sound very different.

IMO anyway, i think Deep Purple were the true farthers of Metal, no one played faster, harder and louder than they did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

zeppelin played blues rock, not heavey metal

deep purple started to play heavey after zeppelin inspierd them.

black sabbath invented heavy metal :book::monkey: