Guitarists

I wouldn't go for it. Memorizing every note on the fretboard isn't hard. Learn the first 11 frets, and then all the notes just repeat after the 12th. Also, the guy doesn't seem to give even the slightest clue as to how his system works.

ok whats the best way to learn then.

SS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't worry about trying to name every note on the fret board. No one will quiz you on that. As long as you can slide up and slide down or bend, you can start a solo anywhere on the fret board and slide it up or down to the exact match, and through your most knowledgeable scale, work it out as you go along. When someone asks you for a solo, you won't have time for technical arrangements, so unleash your creative mind. Learns some few small most commonly used licks and patterns to start with.

Edited by abitestranged

don't worry about trying to name every note on the fret board. No one will quiz you on that. As long as you can slide up and slide down or bend, you can start a solo anywhere on the fret board and slide it up or down to the exact match, and through your most knowledgeable scale, work it out as you go along. When someone asks you for a solo, you won't have time for technical arrangements, so unleash your creative mind. Learns some few small most commonly used licks and patterns to start with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man I couldn't disagree with you more. learning the notes on the fretboard isn't that big of a mission, but I DO think it's important.

I'm not saying that it's not important to have a library of licks that you can apply to any given key that a song is in for those impromptu solos. Learning the fretboard will open doors though, BIG doors. Sure you can just learn basic scale shapes and move them up and down the fretboard accordingly, but do you really think Slash, EVH or Randy do that? Hell no! If you know where the notes are then scale shapes will be irrelevant. You will be able to play anywhere on the neck at any time instead of being trapped in a major or pentatonic box.

As for unleashing creativity, I think that sticking to a small library of licks HINDERS creativity, whereas knowing the notes in a scale and where they are all over the fretboard will let you rip everybody a new asshole.

A NEW ASSHOLE!

^Twistedthoughts^Well you have a point but to start off you still need to know those basic licks and shapes. Wheather you know every single note on the fret board or not, those shapes and pattern are still the closest and easiest to getting around the notes smoothly. I bet if the memory of every note on the fretboard was downloaded into Neo's head, he still won't be able to rip out a solo. He'll score 100% on a quiz though.

Edited by abitestranged