help me out here please

right now i have a mexican fender strat, ive been playing it for 4 years now and i need to move on..........obviously i want the LP, ive tried both studio and standrard at the store and i couldnt really tell the differance except for the fact that the standrad is much more appealing and pretty, the guy there told me that Gibson named it LP studio cos the sound is great but it doesnt look that great so it is used in the studio for recording or something like that.

ofcourse id rather have the standard but i can afford it so i thought id compromise and go for the studio and swap the pickups with seymour duncans.

anybody?

right now i have a mexican fender strat, ive been playing it for 4 years now and i need to move on..........obviously i want the LP, ive tried both studio and standrard at the store and i couldnt really tell the differance except for the fact that the standrad is much more appealing and pretty, the guy there told me that Gibson named it LP studio cos the sound is great but it doesnt look that great so it is used in the studio for recording or something like that.

ofcourse id rather have the standard but i can afford it so i thought id compromise and go for the studio and swap the pickups with seymour duncans.

anybody?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah great idea mate, get the studio and put in a Seymour Ducan JB in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck. Stock Gibson pickups are mass produced crap.

They Standard is just a more attractive sister of the studio, it has binding etc..

BTW theres nothing wrong with the Mex Strats, jsut put new pick ups in it

Infact to save a whole bunch put Seymour Ducans in the Strat, you'll get a Les Paul type tone.

Edited by johnezz

the only difference is the weight and hardware i think, so its thinner which means less sustain an tone i think. Plus the colours suck a bit, black or red. Why dont you just buy a Standard off ebay or from a 2nd hand store? Used guitars are more worn in and better to play. I have a gold top like slash's with the open coils. Got it 2nd hand, it ROCKS

EDIT: Who said stock gibson pickups are shit? Burstbuckers? They fuckin rock. You silly girl, Just cos they're not fuckin EMG an dont work well with ur line 6 spider or whatever you untallented players are using these days

Edited by Crash Diet

the only difference is the weight and hardware i think, so its thinner which means less sustain an tone i think. Plus the colours suck a bit, black or red. Why dont you just buy a Standard off ebay or from a 2nd hand store? Used guitars are more worn in and better to play. I have a gold top like slash's with the open coils. Got it 2nd hand, it ROCKS

EDIT: Who said stock gibson pickups are shit? Burstbuckers? They fuckin rock. You silly girl, Just cos they're not fuckin EMG an dont work well with ur line 6 spider or whatever you untallented players are using these days

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol firstly i don't have a Line 6, i have another crappy Solid State, but thats because i cant afford a tube amp just yet, and when i can im getting an Engl, they own all other amps (Fender Cleans, Marshall Overdives and Mesa Crunch all in 1 amp) And buddy i never mentioned EMG's i was talking about Seymour Duncans if you read my post well enough, and Seymour Duncans kick the shit out of modern Gibson pickups, for an LP nothing beats a JB and '59, SLASH USES SEYMOUR DUNCAN! so enough said.

I agree with getting a 2nd hand Gibson though, only because 1st hand are completely overpriced. Strat > LP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol firstly i don't have a Line 6, i have another crappy Solid State, but thats because i cant afford a tube amp just yet, and when i can im getting an Engl, they own all other amps (Fender Cleans, Marshall Overdives and Mesa Crunch all in 1 amp) And buddy i never mentioned EMG's i was talking about Seymour Duncans if you read my post well enough, and Seymour Duncans kick the shit out of modern Gibson pickups, for an LP nothing beats a JB and '59, SLASH USES SEYMOUR DUNCAN! so enough said.

I agree with getting a 2nd hand Gibson though, only because 1st hand are completely overpriced. Strat > LP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea but slash uses the

Alnico II Pro™ Humbucker, i think for both bridge and neck but im not sure.

IMO the standard is "the standard". If you were to ever plan on selling it down the road you have a much easier time unloading a standard than a studio, and you'll get more money for it as it is the desired guitar of the two. Spend the extra couple of hundred bucks now rather than having to spend another $2k in a few years to get a real Standard.

I have a Standard, and finally after 5 years swapped out the stock pickups with duncan Alnico II's. Better sound, but not a huge difference. Still I'm glad I did it. I think my stock pickups were going bad near the end. I play through a Marshall TSL100 full stack- still takes alot of tweaking the eq to get a great Slash sound.

Buy what your heart tells you to. Nothing worse than spending alot of money upfront and being cheap about the last 10% of the price for something you'll regret in the back of your mind. You can always change the pickuups out later when you have money. You can't change a studio into a standard.

Also have a PRS Custom 24- great guitar- very versatile...but I'm a Les Paul person at heart.

let me tell you something.

if youre a big slash fan (im sure you are) then buy LP STANDARD !!!

there is no worse feeling than spending 1K on a Studio and then regreting not having a Standard. as someone here said, be patient, save a few extra bucks and get the real thing.

im not saying that LP Studio is a bad guitar, the opposite, its a great guitar.

but i understand youre buying this guitar to be your MAIN GUITAR, so i advise you to go for a Standard.

But...

if youre just a regular musician that is looking for a good (no as expensive) instrument then the Studio is your choise. theres not much dif between the two models.

goodluck :D

dont get the studio. my friend bought one and its definately not gibson quality. it goes out of tune in about three seconds and the neck inst too great to play on. yes the sound is great but if u want a guitar that will last get the standard. if u want to scrap up the money and get a damn fine guitar get a classic. i would get one if i had the money :unsure:rock3