Battle of the Bands

Johnny gnr

Fav band?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest gnr>everything
The Stones.

Under my thumb, the girl who once had me down...

I dont care if you dont like the lyrics, its one of the best things I've ever heard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My 3rd-4th favorite Stones song and I've really been into it lately rock3 Is this you new "Gimme Shelter"? :lol:

Anyways, Stones with Pink Floyd close behind.

Argh, i love all those bands (except Nirvana)

But Floyd comes a clear first, but they all rock  rock3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hate all of those bands except nirvana LOL i know this sounds like being a prick on purpose but i seriously do, im sure u've never heard a good word from me on any of those bands but...yeah, so nirvana win...but, flat out, the sex pistols should be in that list...in fact, they should BE that list...

Argh, i love all those bands (except Nirvana)

But Floyd comes a clear first, but they all rock  rock3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hate all of those bands except nirvana LOL i know this sounds like being a prick on purpose but i seriously do, im sure u've never heard a good word from me on any of those bands but...yeah, so nirvana win...but, flat out, the sex pistols should be in that list...in fact, they should BE that list...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that comment tops the "most ignorant post rocket has ever made" award :lol:

I seriously do not know how you cannot like those bands, they consist some of the most talented musicains ever. Their quality of music is so high that they are still remembered and listerned too by millions of people who weren't even alive when they were popular. Plus they all had massive influence. Nirvana just palls in comprison to them, they werent even the best grunge band, nor were they original.

those um, bands seem to slip into a more...suffocating stereotype than nirvana...i think thats half of it, i might've even liked em, who knows, if i hadn't've gotten into punk rock as deep as i did. they always just came across as phoney, i dunno why. they look like, the standard, y'know? the establishment, the immortal yardstick by which all is judged. i know, i really do have a kind of a stuck up punk rock attitude in a way (or it must seem like i do) but these bands really always just got on my tits and came across as...just not...challenging anything, music for musics sake is good but...i like my music to offer something sometimes a little more than a faked out subvertive attiitude. they're so...comfortable with their success and their album after album all pretty much sounding the same which isn't a bad thing as such (i like the ramones, they sounded the same their whole career) but it seems to me, when bands reach the levels of success that these guys have they kinda just...fade. their passion, cuz they're not hungry anymore. a band is good when they got somethin to prove. as far as nirvana go...it's about passion, u can hear it in the guys voice, and musically...shit, i ju...i can't even come close to explainin' that shit...like, ok...the difference between flat out musical talent...and perfecting the basics is this....flat out musical talent u can get good with, if ur truly talented u can get excellent with...but the basic stuff, anyone can learn to be excellent at...couple that with an ear for a good catchy tune and ur really somewhere. plus, lyrically...nirvana were really sayin something...i just, i dunno, i can't swallow mainstream bands, ok...not mainstream but like the um, the rock n roll "take it for granted, these guys r great" type bands, u know what i mean? i just...i can't handle that shit, thats not good enough for me, i need whys answered and out of all those bands, truly speakin, i don't see greatness...i talented mediocrity. talented as in like, good at the mechanics of it, good guitar players, good drummers, good vocals, in like, a textbook sense...but beyond that these bands r just relics, top ten fodder...granted same could be said for nirvana and time has done them no fuckin favours at all but uhm, shit...these other bands just really put me off man, especially how they all turn out, it's sad to watch man...more than anything, to be really honest with you...i like noise...loud annoying noise, cool noise, funky noise, spooky noise soft noise...something thats got something a little odd to it to spark my interest, i can't...explain it any better than that. i like music that is different, a little out of the ordinary, something i listen to that just makes me go "what in the fuck was that shit?" and none of those bands provoke that reaction, all they provoke is a moderate foot-tap and like "oh, cool, thats a good tune" but a good tune is a good tune, theres nothing to it, theres no more than can be said about it, but a god awful screeching tuneless racket, now thats a different thing...cuz, theres somethin there to figure out. cuz theres a logic to everything, basically i like bands that go someway to deconstructing legends, myths etc...not just become them.

those um, bands seem to slip into a more...suffocating stereotype than nirvana...i think thats half of it, i might've even liked em, who knows, if i hadn't've gotten into punk rock as deep as i did.  they always just came across as phoney, i dunno why.  they look like, the standard, y'know? the establishment, the immortal yardstick by which all is judged.  i know, i really do have a kind of a stuck up punk rock attitude in a way (or it must seem like i do) but these bands really always just got on my tits and came across as...just not...challenging anything, music for musics sake is good but...i like my music to offer something sometimes a little more than a faked out subvertive attiitude. they're so...comfortable with their success and their album after album all pretty much sounding the same which isn't a bad thing as such (i like the ramones, they sounded the same their whole career) but it seems to me, when bands reach the levels of success that these guys have they kinda just...fade. their passion, cuz they're not hungry anymore.  a band is good when they got somethin to prove. as far as nirvana go...it's about passion, u can hear it in the guys voice, and musically...shit, i ju...i can't even come close to explainin' that shit...like, ok...the difference between flat out musical talent...and perfecting the basics is this....flat out musical talent u can get good with, if ur truly talented u can get excellent with...but the basic stuff, anyone can learn to be excellent at...couple that with an ear for a good catchy tune and ur really somewhere.  plus, lyrically...nirvana were really sayin something...i just, i dunno, i can't swallow mainstream bands, ok...not mainstream but like the um, the rock n roll "take it for granted, these guys r great" type bands, u know what i mean? i just...i can't handle that shit, thats not good enough for me, i need whys answered and out of all those bands, truly speakin, i don't see greatness...i talented mediocrity. talented as in like, good at the mechanics of it, good guitar players, good drummers, good vocals, in like, a textbook sense...but beyond that these bands r just relics, top ten fodder...granted same could be said for nirvana and time has done them no fuckin favours at all but uhm, shit...these other bands just really put me off man, especially how they all turn out, it's sad to watch man...more than anything, to be really honest with you...i like noise...loud annoying noise, cool noise, funky noise, spooky noise soft noise...something thats got something a little odd to it to spark my interest, i can't...explain it any better than that. i like music that is different, a little out of the ordinary, something i listen to that just makes me go "what in the fuck was that shit?" and none of those bands provoke that reaction, all they provoke is a moderate foot-tap and like "oh, cool, thats a good tune" but a good tune is a good tune, theres nothing to it, theres no more than can be said about it, but a god awful screeching tuneless racket, now thats a different thing...cuz, theres somethin there to figure out. cuz theres a logic to everything, basically i like bands that go someway to deconstructing legends, myths etc...not just become them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, time for a rant.

They sounded the same all their careers? this is not true with most of those bands, just listern to Led Zeppelin's albums in chronological order, they pushed the boundry with every album, each album wasn't just plain rock it included folk and slow blues, funk and all types of expiriments. Over Zep's 10 year career they changed their style with each album, their last ones were vastly different from their first ones, it takes great skill to change your style so dramitically and still be very good at it. The Who also changed hugely, they started off with "My Generation" (as a punk fan you should absolutely praise this song as IT IS the first punk song ever Period) it was a defanace against society, to rebel against it (it also contained the first bass guitar solo) it was passionate and angry. Soon people began to catch on and copy that style so The Who changed and explored new music, they were the first band to record with synthisisers. All these bands were originals, i mean hell Black Sabbath, there was NO ONE like them before them, they invented a genre, they were totally and utterly original, proberly THE most original band ever. Most of the bands kept exploring and evolving, and one of the most important things is that most of these bands were their own producers, Nirvana were slaves to MTV and their Record company, These bands did what ever they wanted, they had the freedom to do what they loved, and they did it with Passion. Listerning to Bruce Dickison or Roger Daltery, their voices are bone chilling with all the emotion and hear they put into everyone note, Cobain was a lazy singer who didnt give a fuck about his singing. Most of the punk rockers you love were not talanted, they just made little 3 chords riffs while they were stoned off their heads. These rock bands, they studied their imstruments for hours and did what ever they could be know their passion of playing better and to progess that little bit further and push themselves, and to learn jazz modes so they could improvise on stage live. They loved music so much that they dovoted all their time to get better at it and understand it better, it was their passion. That cannot be said for punk, they have always came across as lazy and couldnt give a fuck about music, they seemed to me as lacking drive and motivation, it was the easy way out. The reason why these rock bands were so sucessful is because they tried harder than anyone else, and all these bands did it on their own merit, i have no liking for Nirvana who rode on the back of MTV to fame.

Edited by johnezz

i know they didn't sound the same same, but...ok, basically, to me...to be progressive, or considered progressive...u gotta change ur entire format...not just add to it, adding to it can be good, if u add a LOT...but most of what u consider progression from these bands i don't consider anything more than vague tinkering with the available format...it seems to be a ummm...kinda like a checkpoint in the evolutionary progression of "great" rock bands...blues influence, jazz influence etc, like it's like a requirement, i dont see that as progression at all. orignal is when u listen to it and it sounds like nothing before or since and im sorry, that can't be said for sabbath...there were people like sabbath before them...TONS of em, all sabbath was make the sound heavier...that to me doesn't really count for much, it amounts to turning the volume up really lol i agree, some of their shit is cool fun and intense music but i certainly wouldn't call them great my any means. i think true greatness in art is almost always the least recognised. Nirvana were slaves to MTV and their record company? Kurt had more record company fusses over the sound of their music than most artists on the planet, so i hardly think thats relevant although i do agree they did um...i dunno, they did give a lotta slack. but nirvana built their fanbase the old fashioned way. even before they had their major record label signing they were the shit...they were the hot american band, they were known internationally...true, MTV made them into stars but not much more than that. as far as punk not being orignal, i umm...lol i dunno WHAT to say to that lol i think u kinda misinterpret which era was punk and which was just a bunch of bandwagon jumpers

The Vaselines

Richard Hell & The Voidoids

Public Image Limited

The Meat Puppets

these bands were orignal...painfully so...unlike anything all the pages and plants and mercurys and townshends could even dream of being.

this ain't a diss to ur taste cuz i truly respect ur knowledge of music, it's further reaching than mine in like...ur chosen type of music but...i dunno, i disagree with u man, if u'd...i dunno, ok...do me this favour... check out the albums Second Edition and Flowers Of Romance...see if u can download em from somewhere, i promise u will not have heard anything like em...ever.

and as far as blues influence, all rock n roll has that...in fact, the blues is half of the genre...