What is punk?

nunchuck

Okay, so there's bound to be many different and interesting takes on this one, and dare i say a few lame ass ones.

I myself like a mixture of PR, most of it tends to be american. Favourite bands include Ramones, Op Ivy, SLF, Replacements, Clash, The Living End, Dead Kennedys, Buzzcocks, Green Day, The Queers, Mr T Experience, Spermbirds to name a few.

But what the hell is punk, in your view? is it a sound? an attitude? a look, even?

To me, it is doing whatever you wanna do and if you're on a major label and sell lots of records then so what?, go you! I always think it's better to bring great music out for more people to hear, what is the point of keeping something great within a select bunch of people? I don't like that negative aspect of punk, I think it's very cliquey. Also, underground music can be fucking awesome but all too often great bands just fade into obscurity without even making a dent in the mainstream and more often than not, don't even get heard by a lot of people.

As for bands im not keen on, stuff like The Exploited comes to mind, they weren't really saying anything and brought a certain image upon punk which unfortunately has stuck, the term 'postcard punk' springs to mind. I find a band like The Buzzcocks much more punk than them cause they weren't scared about singing love songs and why shouldn't they? they did it so well? But then, you'll get a certain amount of people who would scoff at that and say it's not punk cause it's not tough.

To sum it up, i guess i feel that PR is more about creativity and singing about absolutely anything rather than worrying about a certain 'tough guy' image and what all the meatheads might think.

to me punk is the original punk, not the modern pop punk of greenday etc.

It's a lifestyle: an attitude, a speech, clothes, music (buzzcocks, clash, sex pistols etc.) everything. And it is amazing.

I think punk, like all music, is not how you dress, how you have your hair or how you behave. It's a feeling. Impossible to describe really.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it's not impossible to describe. Sex Pistols. There's your desciption.

Punk is basically sticking it to the man.

It's not music or clothes or anything, the music is basically just three chord angry rock, nothing more, but it has somehow been labelled as punk, probably because the guys playing it were rude angry young men, or punks.

I think punk, like all music, is not how you dress, how you have your hair or how you behave. It's a feeling. Impossible to describe really.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it's not impossible to describe. Sex Pistols. There's your desciption.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes but then you have a band like the minutemen who are also considered punk but sound completely different.

it cant be defined, simple.