Van Halen

gencbiba

Van Halen are one of the greatest bands of all time. No question about it.

If you doubt me, just check out "Van Halen 1" One of the greatest albums ever. It came out in 1978, probably before most of you were born, but don't let that stop you.

Van Halen are one of the greatest bands of all time.  No question about it.

If you doubt me, just check out "Van Halen 1" One of the greatest albums ever.  It came out in 1978, probably before most of you were born, but don't let that stop you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i agree, Van Halen I is one of the greatest album of all time, theres no denying that. It had proberly a bigger impact than any other album ever. It defined the sound of the 80's and brought the demise of Hard Rock and the rise of Metal.

Plus Eddie is a god.

Van Halen are one of the greatest bands of all time.  No question about it.

If you doubt me, just check out "Van Halen 1" One of the greatest albums ever.  It came out in 1978, probably before most of you were born, but don't let that stop you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i agree, Van Halen I is one of the greatest album of all time, theres no denying that. It had proberly a bigger impact than any other album ever. It defined the sound of the 80's and brought the demise of Hard Rock and the rise of Metal.

Plus Eddie is a god.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but in the end Grunge music just fucked it all up sadly :(

sammy is a better singer. In fact, Roth didn't even sing properly, he sought of half sang and half talked.

Van Halen could be great now, but Hagar is such an aweful lyricist. "Only time will time will tell if we stand the test of time." he sounds like he's making up his lyrics as he goes along by assembling old clichés. He ruins songs which could be really emotional and powerful. If it hadn't been for 5150, which is the only really good Hagar album, Hagar would have been out in a shot, and we might have Roth back.

Post-roth Van halen relies too much on big ballads, rather than great rockers. They also have one of the most repetetive and unimaginative rhythm sections in rock.

Having said which, I love The Best of Both Worlds. But the running order with alternating roth and hagar just doesn't make sense. Cheese fests like Love Walks In are awesome though, and I really liked the three new songs on the album.

Does anyone know what's happening with the band now? I know that Gary Cherone went soon after the mediocre III, and they reunited with Hagar to release the best of both worlds and do a north american tour. but that was almost two years ago. Does anyone know what's going on now? Their site is barren.

Edited by Maddergascar

they are not my type of music but alot of people i know love them.

i think eddie van halen is insanely overrated. people say he invented all this stuff when all he invented was the sound of 80's metal. he didnt invent tapping or flicking the pickup switch while playing or using the volume knob while playing or tapping with bends and fingers. hendrix does all that so i dont get were people get that from :huh:

I don't know if I like VH :huh: The only songs I've heard are Hot For Teacher, Eruption and those gay covers they've done (Danging In the Street :blink: ) and some other one. So yeah. I guess I kind of do.... .. .

Edited by S W L A B R 7

I don't like their covers of songs like Pretty Woman and You Really Got Me, make them lose the raw rock n' roll aspect and become overproduced, palm-muting heavy metal bullshit, making them too complex.

However, Eruption is really awesome, and so is Spanish Fly. Plus Jump is awesome, and there are some other tracks I love.

they are not my type of music but alot of people i know love them.

i think eddie van halen is insanely overrated. people say he invented all this stuff when all he invented was the sound of 80's metal. he didnt invent tapping or flicking the pickup switch while playing or using the volume knob while playing or tapping with bends and fingers. hendrix does all that so i dont get were people get that from :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No he's not overrated, listern to the album Van Halen, there was NOTHING like it before it. And then all of a sudden after it everyone tried to sound like EVH. Of course he didn't invent double handed tapping (hendrix never did double handed tapping btw) Bo Diddley invented it, but Eddie brought it into the mainstream and he's still the best ever at it. And Eddie never pickup switiched, he only had 1 pickup in his guitar! Eddie is so great because he soaked up some many techniques and melded them into one style and did it with such flair and originality.

Also, Eddie is an amazing keyboardist too.