I've buggered up my guitar!

Well, not really but fuck knows it sounds bad.

Its my classical guitar, and I tried to restring it with D'Addario Pro-Arte normal tension strings. My guitar teacher normally does it for me, but I decided to give it a bash.

I've done it, and tuned it correctly, but the strings seem really "loose" and vibraty (not a word, I know - but it describes what I mean). So much so, that I can't actually play the thing.

Any one got any ideas for me?

Are those the same strings that you normally use? A different gauge string will take some getting used to.

Also, you may have the guitar tuned down an octave.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, it's definately tuned correctly, that was the first thing I thought of - I used an electronic tuner, and then double checked it against a CD.

Not sure bout the strings, I normally pay Dave to do it, but these strings are awful. Something's definatley wrong, but I can't put my finger on what!

Hmm, bit of a rethink...when you're this drunk its pretty hard...but have you bought different tension strings? if youhva you'll need your bridge sortin' or sumfin like that anyway

i mean when i bought 11's for my guitar i had to have it set up by the people in curly music cos of this tremelo thing n all sorts

Edited by Crash Diet

Are those the same strings that you normally use? A different gauge string will take some getting used to.

Also, you may have the guitar tuned down an octave.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, it's definately tuned correctly, that was the first thing I thought of - I used an electronic tuner, and then double checked it against a CD.

Not sure bout the strings, I normally pay Dave to do it, but these strings are awful. Something's definatley wrong, but I can't put my finger on what!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The guitar can still be tuned an octave down. When it's tuned an octave down the strings are still tuned to EADGBE but in a lower range. So if you check it with your electronic tuner all the strings will be tuned correctly because they are, but they are just an octave lower. It's the exact same notes but they sound lower. That would explain why the strings are loose and they vibrate, because you can still tune them higher, an octave higher. You could keep tightening the strings untill you go through the range of notes and arrive upon your original note again. Then you should be tuned an octave higher from what you were before but still have the same notes. That should fix your problem, unless you weren't tuned an octave lower, in which case your strings might break because you are tightening them too much.