MP3 vs. M4A

Gallagher Rose

If you care about audio quality and listen to a lot of electronic music, avoid MPEG-4 AAC, particularly if you use bit rates below 160kbps. iTunes MP3 at 160kbps is better than AAC at 128kbps if you can afford the extra file size. If you really want CD quality, you'll need to use Ogg Vorbis or LAME MP3 encoding.

If encoding speed or iPod compatibility is important to you, use AAC--but don't go below 160kbps. Below that, AAC sounds like shit compared to MP3 ripped with the LAME encoder.

I don't use AAC because I have a car deck that can read MP3, but it doesn't read AAC. And the ipod doesn't care if you put MP3 on it. Check this out:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_so..._audio_copy.cfm

This program coupled with the LAME encoder (also a free download there) will give you the best digital music from your CDs. It's free. Try that and then compare to AAC or MP3 or even WMA. You'll see for yourself. And with MP3, you're less likely to run into compatibility issues between portable devices and even car head units that read data CDs.

If you care about audio quality and listen to a lot of electronic music, avoid MPEG-4 AAC, particularly if you use bit rates below 160kbps. iTunes MP3 at 160kbps is better than AAC at 128kbps if you can afford the extra file size. If you really want CD quality, you'll need to use Ogg Vorbis or LAME MP3 encoding.

If encoding speed or iPod compatibility is important to you, use AAC--but don't go below 160kbps.  Below that, AAC sounds like shit compared to MP3 ripped with the LAME encoder. 

I don't use AAC because I have a car deck that can read MP3, but it doesn't read AAC.  And the ipod doesn't care if you put MP3 on it.  Check this out:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_so..._audio_copy.cfm

This program coupled with the LAME encoder (also a free download there) will give you the best digital music from your CDs.  It's free.  Try that and then compare to AAC or MP3 or even WMA.  You'll see for yourself.  And with MP3, you're less likely to run into compatibility issues between portable devices and even car head units that read data CDs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank You :D

I have some songs from Itunes,they're better than 256kps MP3 (which is a great quality) and the m4a are smaller,around 160 kps like u said.

I'll download some .ogg files to listen the quality..

Very impressive mheckard, it's good to see someone who knows what they're talking about! :D

On top of what you said -- i'd like to stress compatability as an issue here. Anything will play an mp3 (well, almost) where as AAC is really only iTunes/iPod compatible. This doesn't become a problem until you want to share some music with a Windows Media using friend who can't read the files.

BTW -- on downloading Ogg Vorbis files -- just so you know, those files are enormous. They're lossless quality, but not suitable for storing on a PC. Better for burning to CD. :)

Very impressive mheckard, it's good to see someone who knows what they're talking about! :D

On top of what you said -- i'd like to stress compatability as an issue here. Anything will play an mp3 (well, almost) where as AAC is really only iTunes/iPod compatible. This doesn't become a problem until you want to share some music with a Windows Media using friend who can't read the files.

BTW -- on downloading Ogg Vorbis files -- just so you know, those files are enormous. They're lossless quality, but not suitable for storing on a PC. Better for burning to CD. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I have some Beatles stereo albums in .FLAC and it's lossless,but the quality is insane.