Mr. Big

DoubleTalkinJive

they're from the city i grew up in- greensburg, PA. they got their name from a shop that sells antique doll houses and the like.

but what's crazy is this: my guitar teacher (wayne bartley) was taught by paul, and eventually wayne's playing would blow paul's out of the water (i saw this first hand).

his original shit was so good, but he never got signed because that style of music wasn't popular anymore (think blizzard of ozz), nowadays he just plays with some band on a cruise line.

it's just cool to think that paul taught the dude that taught me.

• 1 year later...
they're from the city i grew up in- greensburg, PA. they got their name from a shop that sells antique doll houses and the like.

but what's crazy is this: my guitar teacher (wayne bartley) was taught by paul, and eventually wayne's playing would blow paul's out of the water (i saw this first hand).

his original shit was so good, but he never got signed because that style of music wasn't popular anymore (think blizzard of ozz), nowadays he just plays with some band on a cruise line.

it's just cool to think that paul taught the dude that taught me.

I know both Gilbert and Bartley(read: wayne wayne go away come around when you can play) Wayne is not from Greensburg. Gilbert left Greensburg in '84 or '85. Gilbert did not teach Wayne. And Wayne doesn't blow Paul away - not in a million years, not ever. I wittnessed wayne struggle through a set's worth of Dream Theater in a tribute band caller Silent Cry. After that night, the band jokingly became known as Silent Try.

I realize this is from a few years ago but I couldnt let such misinformation go unchecked. Like they say about the internet, caveat lector.

Edited by He Who Knows

Paul's cool, he runs a column on Total Guitar. Lots of cool licks to pick up...

I thought the name of the band came from their favorite Free song.

Does he still do that?

EDIT: I just say this is from 2005

Paul Gilbert is god to me, and Buckethead is jesus.

I love the intro riff to green tinted sixties mind :wub:

Edited by Inverted Mind

Does he still do that?

Gilbert's an amazing player. Spent many a night with friends and a few six-packs parked outside of the clubs he was playing at - listening, because we were not old enough to get inside.

Edited by He Who Knows

Does he still do that?

Gilbert's an amazing player. I grew up with him. Spent many a night with friends and a few six-packs parked outside of the clubs he was playing at - listening, because we were not old enough to get inside.

:mellow: I grew up in the wrong era.

I seriously idolize that guy. He seems so down to earth and nice, which is also why I look up to him so much. (Unlike Malmsteen.)

I'm so jealous of you hahaha.