Waters seems up for a Pink Floyd reunion

username

I read this german interview with roger waters:

Vom Pop zur Oper: Ein Dino wechselt das Genre

Pop. Roger Waters hat die Oper „Ça Ira“ komponiert und denkt über eine gemeinsame Zukunft von Pink Floyd nach.

Herr Waters, was hat Sie dazu veranlasst, eine Oper über die französische Revolution zu schreiben? Schließlich liegen die Feierlichkeiten zum 200. Jahrestag schon 16 Jahre zurück.

Genauso lange arbeite ich schon daran. Wenn auch nicht am Stück, sondern in kurzen Etappen. Ganz einfach, weil ich so viele andere Sachen um die Ohren habe – und das ein unglaublich aufwändiges Projekt ist. Vor allem für jemanden wie mich, der noch nie mit einem Orchester gearbeitet hat. Das war schon etwas Besonderes. Und ich finde, die Thematik passt einfach zur Zeit. Auch wir leben in einer Welt, in der die Mächtigen und Reichen den Bogen überspannt haben, und es eigentlich Zeit für eine nette, kleine Revolution wäre.

Sie meinen, um die Blairs und Bushs aus dem Amt zu jagen?

Es wäre wirklich höchste Zeit. Ich meine, wie viel Mist dürfen die noch machen? Mit ihrer Kurzsichtigkeit und Ignoranz haben sie das globale Gleichgewicht zwischen den Kulturen zerstört. Sie haben einen neuen religiösen Krieg zwischen Ost und West ausgelöst und sind auch noch stolz darauf. Und jetzt versuchen sie, das Ganze mit Propaganda und religiösem Fundamentalismus zu rechtfertigen. Ich kann es nicht mehr hören.

Das klingt sehr nach Unzufriedenheit, und Sie haben mit Ihrer Meinung auch nie hinterm Berg gehalten. Trotzdem sind Sie gerade von England nach New York gezogen.

Aber nur, weil dort meine Ex-Frau mit den Kindern wohnt und ich in ihrer Nähe sein wollte. Ansonsten würde ich es dort nicht aushalten. Ich meine: 70 TV-Programme voller Propaganda – und nirgendwo ein einziges Kricket-Spiel. Das ist eine harte Prüfung.

Genau wie anlässlich der kürzlichen Live 8-Konzerte wieder mit Ihren alten Kollegen von Pink Floyd aufzutreten?

Das fiel mir auch nicht leicht, schließlich haben wir fast 20 Jahre kein Wort miteinander gewechselt. Aber die Sache war mir so wichtig, dass ich David (Gilmore, Pink-Floyd-Gitarrist, d. Red.) angerufen habe, und er war sofort bereit mitzuziehen. Was soll ich sagen, es war einfach toll und hat riesigen Spaß gemacht. Ich würde das gerne wiederholen.

In Form einer Pink-Floyd-Wiedervereinigung?

Wer weiß. Ich war vor ein paar Tagen mit Nick Mason (dem Pink Floyd-Drummer, d. Red.) essen, und dabei haben wir zufällig David getroffen. Das war wirklich nett. Es scheint, als kämen wir plötzlich wieder ganz gut miteinander aus. Und ich hätte schon Lust, wieder was mit ihnen zu machen. Hey, wir waren ja keine wirklich schlechte Band, oder?

Außerdem haben Sie noch ein paar andere Projekte am Start …

Stimmt. Ich arbeite an einer Broadway-Version von „The Wall“ und an einer Live-Show mit dem Cirque Du Soleil. Dann ist da noch die Live-Premiere von „Ça Ira“ am 17. November in Rom …

Sind Sie nervös?

Und wie! Allein der Gedanke, dass ich ein 82-köpfiges Orchester vor Publikum dirigieren soll, treibt mir den Angstschweiß auf die Stirn. Aber gleichzeitig ist das eine riesige Herausforderung, auf die ich mich wahnsinnig freue.

Interview: Marcel Anders

CD Waters: Ça Ira (Columbia/Sony)

CD Pink Floyd: London 1966-1967 (SPV)

This is the translation of the red part:

How was it to perform at the Live 8 concert again with your old colleagues of Pink Floyd?

That was not easy for me, finally after nearly 20 years of no word with one another it all changed. But the thing was so important to me that I called David (Gilmore, Pink Floyd guitarist, D talk.), and it was a done deal immediately. Which I am to say, it was simply great and we had enormous fun doing it. I would gladly do it again some time.

In the form of a Pink Floyd reunification?

Who knows. I was a few days ago with Nick Mason (the Pink Floyd Drummer) eating together, and coincidentally David walked in. That was really nice. It seems, as if we would get along again very well suddenly with one another. And I would really like to once again create something with them. Hey, we were no really bad band, right?

Excuse me for some mistakes..I used a translator ;)

Ontopic:

Sounds like Rog is VERY much up for it!

It also looks like the're actualy becomming friends again. Which is great to see, and a needed base for a reunion!:)

Edited by username

I would love this to happen but doubt it. Sometimes interviewers put words in peoples mouths. I listened to a radio interview with Waters where he said the Reunion was great but that Dave and his political and musical views are far to different to tour or record an album. Roger has also been recording a solo rock album due in 2006 (which in Waters time could be 2008 !!!!) By the way his new opera Ca Ira is great. No guitars but very up tempo with lots of his trademark sound effects (dogs barking, birds chirping, cannons, etc....) The drums throughout are very reminisent of Bring the Boys Back Home.

Roger has said lots of times after Live 8 that he would love a reunion.

For me a new Pink Floyd album with Roger and a following world tour would be worth sawing of my left nut.

Roger and Nick seem keen, i'm sure Rick would be up for it too. But Dave its a different story, i think he just wants Floyd to rest in peace, which is a bit selfish as its denying Roger to make amends. Nick and Roger have been friends for a long time, dining out quite regularly, i hope they can convince Dave to come along and record a new album. I bet Roger is bursting at the seams with new ideas and material.

I would be more than happy to see a new album, even if they dont tour, touring might be too hard at their age, but surely recording would be fine for them.

Guest gnr>everything

It's nothing new to hear Waters is up for a reunion show...I read a few weeks ago that he was, but Gilmour doesn't really want to do it. He definately is the factor in whether they do or not. The longer they wait the older they get...I'd love to see a reunion, but at this point from what I've read from Gilmour, I don't think it is going to happen.

Maybe a show or 2 but not a tour

:(

"And I would really like to once again create something with them."

Do I smell NEW MATERIAL? I think they should make another concept album based upon the book "The Demon Haunted World". Either that or instead of a "requiem for the post war dream" how about "the sorrows of American Imperialism"? Or more specifically, "Disaster Capitalism"?

Just an opinion. Pink Floyd are one of those bands that can truly capture the essence of an idea. But to be honest, I would be very happy with anything they chose to give us as fans! That would be a very generous gesture on their part, since they are in the twilight of their careers, so to speak. I better start saving for those plane tickets to London.... :D

Edited by mheckard

Guest gnr>everything

Now that you mention a concept album mheckard...I would like to see maybe a concept album of Friends growing back together, or maybe about the time spent alone...

Wish You Were Here was about the band drifting apart, so let's do the opposite!

hopefully there will be a reunion..

the tickets would sell out in like 10 mins!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep... it would mean camping in front of the ticket store for like a week!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm camping out by ticketmaster headquarters right now waiting for the first to get tickets,

......SH*T HERE COMES SECURITY AGAIN,NO,NOT THE EYES(sounds of pepper spray and a guy writhing in pain can be heard from miles away)

Man the possibility if that happened. Damn, ya guys all got me goin' now. Tell ya, I'd camp my ass for days on end at a ticket sales area in the lot with just my bucket o' chicken n' a six-pack. But we all know that man that concert would sell-out so damn fast It would be worse than an Ozzfest. But to dream......