Underrated/Overrated Guitar Solos

igyhi

Name guitar solos that you think are generally underrated or overrated and list if they're just a tad underrated or just have been ripped off.

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain: I consider this to be way underrated. I feel this solo is definitly better than many others that are usually listed as better. Eddie Hazel is badass, and you'd never expect a great piece like Maggot Brain from a funk guitarist.

Ozzy - Crazy Train: I think Crazy Train's a great solo, but a tad overrated. It usually lists higher than Mr.Crowley, and I think Mr.Crowley is just way, way better. Rhoads was badass.

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody: I think it's overrated but I don't like Brian May a lot either. Maybe I'm biased.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven: I think Stairway's just a tad overrated. Top 10 automatically for me, but not in the 1/2 slots that it usually goes in.

All for now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANYTHING by Ritchie Blackmore is underrated, except Smoke on the Water riif of course.

Lazy, Child in Time, Highway Star, Burn, Stargazer, Kill the King and Gates of Babylon solos are AMAZING!

and i agree with igyhi, Maggot Brain solo is pure gold! and totally underrated.

As for overrated, hmmm not many, Stairway Solo is overrated, defantly not the best ever, same with Eruption, it should be in the top 10 but not top 5.

Another underrated solo is Texas Flood by Steve Ray Vaughan, his live rendentions of this were mind blowing, just watch SRV Live in Montreaux 82.

Chase the Ace by ACDC is underrated.

Sucking My Love by Diamond Head is WAY underrated, mostly because of the lyrics and the vocalist in general in that song.... :blink:

All guitar work by Lone Kent is underrated.... :angry:

Guitar work on Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood is way overrated, thanks to the work of producer Bob Rock.

I think Randy Rhodes is still underrated despite the praise....

And Zakk Wylde's Book of Shadows contains a lot of amazing guitar work, most of which is overshadowed by his later work with BLS.

Peter Frampton is overrated.

Michael Schenker is overrated in UFO...especially Rock Bottom...but way UNDERrated in the Scorpions' Lonesome Crow.

David Gilmour is WAY underrated in Pink Floyd's the Final Cut and The Division Bell, especially on the latter's "High Hopes"

Tom Petty is WAY underrated in all his guitar work, probably because most people notice the lyrics first, which are amazing in their own right....

Izzy Stradlin has always been way underrated in his songwriting abilities and his guitar work. The first thing I ever noticed after Axl Rose's voice in GNR was how tight the rhythm guitar and bass lines sound relative to the rest of the music...it brings the band out of the shadows and into the spotlight when I listen to that material to this day....

Syd Barret's guitar work on Interstellar Overdrive is something to be reckoned with again and again and again.....AMAZING.... :ph34r:

lynyrd skynyrd-freebird(live) is very underrated by far one of the greatest solos cause to have a solo going for like 10 mins is so hard not to mention 3 guitar players going at it at the same time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh i love that song. It is officially my fav song ev@!!!!

I do think it's underated!!

It's brilliant!! :P

led zeppelin are far too overated

i think the buzzcocks ever fallen in love is not noticed too much...it's a catchy one

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zeppelin are not overated, they deliver a mad show unlike Axl fails to do with his so called GNR don't get me wrong i'm a big guns n roses fan just they died out what a decade ago? When you die out in the music industry it will take a miracle to make you top again like Metallica, they were on top of the world now they are under it but back in the day the delivered the whole show!!!

-Sad But True

Edited by I Know Its Sad But True

i think the buzzcocks ever fallen in love is not noticed too much...it's a catchy one

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zeppelin are not overated, they deliver a mad show unlike Axl fails to do with his so called GNR don't get me wrong i'm a big guns n roses fan just they died out what a decade ago? When you die out in the music industry it will take a miracle to make you top again like Metallica, they were on top of the world now they are under it but back in the day the delivered the whole show!!!

-Sad But True

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i never said guns n roses weren't overated, they are very overated! i just think stairway to heaven and whole lotta love are overated...not every single one of thier songs

Izzy Stradlin has always been way underrated in his songwriting abilities and his guitar work.  The first thing I ever noticed after Axl Rose's voice in GNR was how tight the rhythm guitar and bass lines sound relative to the rest of the music...it brings the band out of the shadows and into the spotlight when I listen to that material to this day....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree!!!

Guest gnr>everything
David Gilmour is WAY underrated in Pink Floyd's the Final Cut and The Division Bell, especially on the latter's "High Hopes"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love that song! :heart:

I think that the Killer Queen solo is underrated

lynyrd skynyrd-freebird(live) is very underrated by far one of the greatest solos cause to have a solo going for like 10 mins is so hard not to mention 3 guitar players going at it at the same time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its Overrated its shit, they repeat the same parts 1000000 times :ph34r:

I have always thought the solo from Afraid to Shoot strangers by Iron Maiden was WAY underrated, it's practically an unknown song! But that solo, the first time I heard it sounded so familiar and I grew to know and love it straight away! Its one of those solos that stand out a million miles and give you goosebumps its so melodically technical and awesome :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Sad But True

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

metallica aren't on the top again,st. anger blows

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Sad But True

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

metallica aren't on the top again,st. anger blows

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they are fool, the St. Anger tour was the biggest grossing US Tour of all time.

Metallica are still the biggest band going around today.

Underrated

Octopus's Garden - George Harrison [The Beatles]

Gimme Shelter - Keith Richards [The Rolling Stones]

Shine A Light - Mick Taylor [The Rolling Stones]

Lady Writer (Outro) - Mark Knopfler [Dire Straits]

Nightrain (Outro) - Slash [Guns N' Roses]

That thing Buckethead does that sounds like country, and is a combination of picking and finger-picking ... How is that called? (the song I mean)

Overrated

November Rain - Slash [Guns N' Roses] (though the outro is underrated)

Anything by solo guitarrists, God they are so damn boring

And I can't think of more

• 2 months later...