Metallica vs. GnR

tbaugerud

define complex?

How many notes you can possibly fit into a single bar? Come on man, thats just shit. Thats why buckethead is crap. Complexity takes into a wider range of maturity and artistic values.

Wow...... So amazingly untrue.

GNR's complexity, creativity, originality, artistic values ect.... on a scale from 1-10 next to BucketHead's is at maybe a 2 or 3.

That statement of ignorance shows you have a lack of knowledge in the subject and follows through to what you have to say about Metallica.

I cant believe this question is even ever debated..

the only reason metallica ever get a look in, is cos there are so many soggy oily nerds who think that they are cool if the put the black album up at top volume,

If you compare the bands critically, as well as entertainment factor, GNR are sooooo much better.

Most people who dont have any affiliation specifically with metallica or metal (i.e. they are just a rock or music fan in general) will think that GNR is better.

Axl Rose is the best frontman in the history of rock n roll (ok thats steppin out there, but I think he is, and hes certainly 1000 times better than hetfield). Aside from that you have one of the best guitarists of our time (slash of course). Slash ripps hammet to shreds. Hammet might be faster, but hes boring as batshit. He has no class when he plays, and he is the typical geek that picked up the guitar one day and figured out how to play it.

Metallica are sooo god damn lame, along with the rest of the metal genre. Theres no class in it whatsoever. Metallica will go down as unmemorable and simply one of those bands that managed to get fans at the time, but you would wonder why you ever thought they were as cool as you did. Take a look at just the general things that james says on stage, like the oi chants etc. I mean i got a lot of their bootlegs, and he is like a dumb fuck who has an iq of 10 herding his brainless followers. Compare this to the class of axl - simply no comparison.

Songwriting capabilities of guns is a world away from metallica. In guns you had at least 3 brilliant songwriters in the form of izzy, slash and axl. They all had ability and wrote some pretty brilliant songs. Metallica lacks this depth in songwriting talent with pretty much only lars and james at the head of songwriting, and well after st anger I think its fair to say theyve lost all talent.

Look at the complexity of songs like estranged, and coma, november rain etc. Its just far more mature writing. Most metallica songs are simply a repetitive riff with some over the top scaled solo at the end. One is probably metallicas best song, and its probably my fav. metal song, but its def not in the ballpark of any of the former mentioned gnr songs.

Lyrically metallica are woefull. I think the songwriting process they use is the cause of this. Axl is likely to come up with something he is emotional towards, write a poem, or at least a lyrical foundation, and then write the song around the meaning, whereas metallica just try to write the fattest riff they can find, and then get some lame vocal melody and look up the dictionary to find some words the syllbalically fit in.

Live shows for guns were way better. They were just a tight unit, and they were rock n roll. they managed to be cliche without being cliche. To know what I mean by this, when you look at guns n roses, you go - "Now thats a rock band" - they adhere to all the things that you need to do to be classified as this, but they dont look stupid doing it, unlike metallica and vitually everyother metal band from that era. Thats why GNR stand out amongst all those other bands

Album wise, well if you ask me metallica have only 5 albums worth considering

kill em all is shit

and the black album is crap

master of puppets, ride the lightning and justice for all dont rate up against appetite and illusions 1 and 2 (even with all the illusion fillers)

No comparison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So very true. I especially agree with the part about the songwriting talent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probobly the most stupid post Ive ever seen. So if gnr are so great how does it come that they havent done anything for the last 12 years. And metallica is just getting bigger and bigger.

James Hetfield never cancel shows or leave shows and start riots because of some stupid reason hes always there to be the greatest front man ever. GNR only have Slash and Rose the others are in the back ground man have you ever seen Duff do a bass solo no. And how many times do Axl Sing good live well like 30% of the shows between 91-93. Metallica are loyal to their fans, thats something Axl never bin. Its much cooler to have a front man that Play guitar and Sing.

oh and this one is for you :fuckyou:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you say Metallica is getting bigger and bigger ?hah with albums like st anger ...ya right... axl is loyal to his fans thats why hehas been taking so long to record C.D. cause he wants to give us the best

unlike Metallica..who just keep shiting out albums like st anger to make a quick buck..not giving a fuck if the music is anygood...more people know gnr songs that Metallica songs.... the most you ever hear bout Metallica is how they put out a hand full of great albums.. then they cut there hair and now there music sounds like shit

they r 2 diff banf from 2 diff worlds...but gnr is the best.. more people know and love them..Metallica..even tho is a very good band will never come close to gnr status

I used to think Metallica was one of the greatest "Metal" bands out there...and they were undeniably the best.

Recently I had a chance to watch their new Movie release on DVD (Some Kind Of A Monster)....don't know what to think about this guys any more....they have turned in to a bunch of pussies, sense the "Black" album.

the only reason metallica ever get a look in, is cos there are so many soggy oily nerds who think that they are cool if the put the black album up at top volume,

If you compare the bands critically, as well as entertainment factor, GNR are sooooo much better.

Most people who dont have any affiliation specifically with metallica or metal (i.e. they are just a rock or music fan in general) will think that GNR is better.

Axl Rose is the best frontman in the history of rock n roll (ok thats steppin out there, but I think he is, and hes certainly 1000 times better than hetfield). Aside from that you have one of the best guitarists of our time (slash of course). Slash ripps hammet to shreds. Hammet might be faster, but hes boring as batshit. He has no class when he plays, and he is the typical geek that picked up the guitar one day and figured out how to play it.

Metallica are sooo god damn lame, along with the rest of the metal genre. Theres no class in it whatsoever. Metallica will go down as unmemorable and simply one of those bands that managed to get fans at the time, but you would wonder why you ever thought they were as cool as you did. Take a look at just the general things that james says on stage, like the oi chants etc. I mean i got a lot of their bootlegs, and he is like a dumb fuck who has an iq of 10 herding his brainless followers. Compare this to the class of axl - simply no comparison.

Songwriting capabilities of guns is a world away from metallica. In guns you had at least 3 brilliant songwriters in the form of izzy, slash and axl. They all had ability and wrote some pretty brilliant songs. Metallica lacks this depth in songwriting talent with pretty much only lars and james at the head of songwriting, and well after st anger I think its fair to say theyve lost all talent.

Look at the complexity of songs like estranged, and coma, november rain etc. Its just far more mature writing. Most metallica songs are simply a repetitive riff with some over the top scaled solo at the end. One is probably metallicas best song, and its probably my fav. metal song, but its def not in the ballpark of any of the former mentioned gnr songs.

Lyrically metallica are woefull. I think the songwriting process they use is the cause of this. Axl is likely to come up with something he is emotional towards, write a poem, or at least a lyrical foundation, and then write the song around the meaning, whereas metallica just try to write the fattest riff they can find, and then get some lame vocal melody and look up the dictionary to find some words the syllbalically fit in.

Live shows for guns were way better. They were just a tight unit, and they were rock n roll. they managed to be cliche without being cliche. To know what I mean by this, when you look at guns n roses, you go - "Now thats a rock band" - they adhere to all the things that you need to do to be classified as this, but they dont look stupid doing it, unlike metallica and vitually everyother metal band from that era. Thats why GNR stand out amongst all those other bands

kill em all is shit

master of puppets, ride the lightning and justice for all dont rate up against appetite and illusions 1 and 2 (even with all the illusion fillers)

No comparison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probobly the most stupid post Ive ever seen. So if gnr are so great how does it come that they havent done anything for the last 12 years. And metallica is just getting bigger and bigger.

James Hetfield never cancel shows or leave shows and start riots because of some stupid reason hes always there to be the greatest front man ever. GNR only have Slash and Rose the others are in the back ground man have you ever seen Duff do a bass solo no. And how many times do Axl Sing good live well like 30% of the shows between 91-93. Metallica are loyal to their fans, thats something Axl never bin. Its much cooler to have a front man that Play guitar and Sing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what, your saying that because the beatles were only around for about 10 years and that metallica have been around for over 20, that metallica are better? What the hell does that have to do with anything. GNR achieved more in 6 years than metallica did in 20 from "which band is gonna go down in history" perspective. In the words out kurt cobain, its better to burn out than to fade away.... Metallica will fade away, whereas GNR will never have lost their integrity (excluding the whole new gnr fiasco).

Axl is a genious. He is irratic and this goes with his mental state. This is part and parcel of what rock n roll is. Watching him in some bootlegs like st louis, and the way he singles people out in the crowd etc - it makes the guy more interesting to watch. Sure riots arent great, and they dont work in their favour, but I doesn't take anything away from the brilliance of the band.

A frontman who sings and plays guitar is limited. Axl could never perform in the dynamic way that he did whilst being restrained to a guitar. Take a look at all the best frontmen in history - they never have a guitar (i.e. morrison, bowie, mercury, etc etc)

Axl's voice is sooooo unbelievably better than james hetfields that its not funny. You dug your own grave there. James cant sing for shit, on the record or live. He just goes into some deep tone because he cant sing anymore. Kill em all was his best vocal album, but he soon lost it. even on kill em all hes nowhere near the ability of axl.

As for the other members of GNR - duff is awesome, hes far cooler than at least jason and rob, cliff was just a geek just like kirk. Steven adler isn't a better drummer than lars, but steven has an amazing style which is so much better to watch and listen to.

And what about the whole mp3 thing? how can they be loyal to their fans if they sue them....

define complex?

How many notes you can possibly fit into a single bar? Come on man, thats just shit. Thats why buckethead is crap. Complexity takes into a wider range of maturity and artistic values.

Wow...... So amazingly untrue.

GNR's complexity, creativity, originality, artistic values ect.... on a scale from 1-10 next to BucketHead's is at maybe a 2 or 3.

That statement of ignorance shows you have a lack of knowledge in the subject and follows through to what you have to say about Metallica.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No sir,

its an informed opinion of someone who knows about music, not someone who thinks its cool to wear a bucket on my head and pretend I was raised by chickens.

GNR wrote songs, bucketheads writes - well I dont know what he writes, but its certainly not music.

But anyway, this isn't about buckethead so thats the last I will speak on the matter.

Edited by gnrlies

metallica is a supersuck band and will always be a supersuck band.

GNR will always own other bands. Comparing them is a waste o'time. GNR couldn't be compared to any band, take stones,pistols,doors,led zep,ac/dc,hanoi rox,alice cooper shake'm all,pour into the glass and add five fuckers,you got GNR. They're flawless. rock3

Megadeth owns metallica hooray for tolerance&#33;s. Mustaine rulz.

metallica is a supersuck band and will always be a supersuck band.

GNR will always own other bands. Comparing them is a waste o'time. GNR couldn't be compared to any band, take stones,pistols,doors,led zep,ac/dc,hanoi rox,alice cooper shake'm all,pour into the glass and add five fuckers,you got GNR. They're flawless. rock3

Megadeth owns metallica hooray for tolerance&#33;s. Mustaine rulz.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

aggreed rock3 Mustaine Rulezz!!!

on a side note and on topic, gnrlies is Dizzy... :drevil:

kill em all is shit

No comparison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what, your saying that because the beatles were only around for about 10 years and that metallica have been around for over 20, that metallica are better? What the hell does that have to do with anything. GNR achieved more in 6 years than metallica did in 20 from "which band is gonna go down in history" perspective. In the words out kurt cobain, its better to burn out than to fade away.... Metallica will fade away, whereas GNR will never have lost their integrity (excluding the whole new gnr fiasco).

Axl is a genious. He is irratic and this goes with his mental state. This is part and parcel of what rock n roll is. Watching him in some bootlegs like st louis, and the way he singles people out in the crowd etc - it makes the guy more interesting to watch. Sure riots arent great, and they dont work in their favour, but I doesn't take anything away from the brilliance of the band.

A frontman who sings and plays guitar is limited. Axl could never perform in the dynamic way that he did whilst being restrained to a guitar. Take a look at all the best frontmen in history - they never have a guitar (i.e. morrison, bowie, mercury, etc etc)

Axl's voice is sooooo unbelievably better than james hetfields that its not funny. You dug your own grave there. James cant sing for shit, on the record or live. He just goes into some deep tone because he cant sing anymore. Kill em all was his best vocal album, but he soon lost it. even on kill em all hes nowhere near the ability of axl.

As for the other members of GNR - duff is awesome, hes far cooler than at least jason and rob, cliff was just a geek just like kirk. Steven adler isn't a better drummer than lars, but steven has an amazing style which is so much better to watch and listen to.

And what about the whole mp3 thing? how can they be loyal to their fans if they sue them....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm the second most stupid post ive ever seen.

Well how loyal are fans that download studio songs. Gnr faded away back in 94. The music is always gonna be there but the band is not there anymore. Well James voice fits the music, hes the heavist front man, Hes Voice is just getting better and better while axls voice is getting worse and worse. ok so there arent anygood musicians that play a guitar or bass while they sing. ok so Jimi Hendrix, Paul Mcartney, John Lennon, Ted Nugent, Dave Mustiane, Phil Lynott arent good front men then. There are of course more front men that don't play an intrument just sings wich are great. Cliff was no geek, Duff look like a fuckin gay on stage. Ugly clothes and ugly hair.

Well to tell you the truth guys, Guns N' Roses are forgotten, in the past. Metallica are proberly the biggest band around today. Compared to Metallica, Guns N' Roses were one hit wonders.

Metallica were pioneers, they practically invented Thrash Metal, they brought something new and exciting to music and made Metal more accessable to the masses, something no one else has ever done. Metallica have always stayed true to themselves (dont give me the "they sold out" crap, true fans know they never did, they had an honest change in style) Guns N' Roses seem a bit fake, almost manufactured, when compared to Metallica. Guns N' Roses were nothing new, they just rehashed old styles and made their own version of Hard Blues Rock. Guns were far less creative than Metallica, your stupid to deny that.

Metallica has had MASSIVE influence, Guns N' Roses have had none. Metallica's ballads are better i think, as much as i love Guns to me their ballads are corny (except Estranged) i can't stand November Rain, Nothing Else Matters and Fade to Black are much much better songs. Hetfield has writen some great lyrics and his riff writing is amazing, sure Guns had Sweet Child of Mine, but almost every Metallica song has a classic awesome riff. Hammett is miles ahead of Slash, not only can he shred and improvise, he can play great emotional blues solos. Metallica are so much more talented than Guns is aint even funny. Also Duff is one of the worst bassists ever, Cliff was amazing.

Metallica are much better than Gunners.

Well to tell you the truth guys, Guns N' Roses are forgotten, in the past.  Metallica are proberly the biggest band around today.  Compared to Metallica, Guns N' Roses were one hit wonders.

Metallica were pioneers, they practically invented Thrash Metal, they brought something new and exciting to music and made Metal more accessable to the masses, something no one else has ever done.  Metallica have always stayed true to themselves (dont give me the "they sold out" crap, true fans know they never did, they had an honest change in style) Guns N' Roses seem a bit fake, almost manufactured, when compared to Metallica.  Guns N' Roses were nothing new, they just rehashed old styles and made their own version of Hard Blues Rock.  Guns were far less creative than Metallica, your stupid to deny that. 

Metallica has had MASSIVE influence, Guns N' Roses have had none.  Metallica's ballads are better i think, as much as i love Guns to me their ballads are corny (except Estranged) i can't stand November Rain, Nothing Else Matters and Fade to Black are much much better songs.  Hetfield has writen some great lyrics and his riff writing is amazing, sure Guns had Sweet Child of Mine, but almost every Metallica song has a classic awesome riff.  Hammett is miles ahead of Slash, not only can he shred and improvise, he can play great emotional blues solos.  Metallica are so much more talented than Guns is aint even funny.  Also Duff is one of the worst bassists ever, Cliff was amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha laugh at the metallica fanboy

kirk hammet is made of ham

james hetfield thrashes to walk

Metallica is a heavy-metal band, Guns N' Roses is a Classic-Rock band. It's like comparing Iron Maiden and Queen. Apples and Oranges.

It's different. It's not the same kind of music, not the same audience, not the same musical approach. . Personally, I don't like Metal or Heavy-metal, it's just not my kind of thing. I think the immense majority of GN'R fans are basically more Rock fans than Metal-Heads.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heavy-metal my arse!!! Thrash Metal.

Well to tell you the truth guys, Guns N' Roses are forgotten, in the past.  Metallica are proberly the biggest band around today.  Compared to Metallica, Guns N' Roses were one hit wonders.

Metallica were pioneers, they practically invented Thrash Metal, they brought something new and exciting to music and made Metal more accessable to the masses, something no one else has ever done.  Metallica have always stayed true to themselves (dont give me the "they sold out" crap, true fans know they never did, they had an honest change in style) Guns N' Roses seem a bit fake, almost manufactured, when compared to Metallica.  Guns N' Roses were nothing new, they just rehashed old styles and made their own version of Hard Blues Rock.  Guns were far less creative than Metallica, your stupid to deny that. 

Metallica has had MASSIVE influence, Guns N' Roses have had none.  Metallica's ballads are better i think, as much as i love Guns to me their ballads are corny (except Estranged) i can't stand November Rain, Nothing Else Matters and Fade to Black are much much better songs.  Hetfield has writen some great lyrics and his riff writing is amazing, sure Guns had Sweet Child of Mine, but almost every Metallica song has a classic awesome riff.  Hammett is miles ahead of Slash, not only can he shred and improvise, he can play great emotional blues solos.  Metallica are so much more talented than Guns is aint even funny.  Also Duff is one of the worst bassists ever, Cliff was amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha laugh at the metallica fanboy

kirk hammet is made of ham

james hetfield thrashes to walk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude your a fag, Slash is shit compared to Hammett, Axl is great don't get me wrong i love GNR but James Is my home boy on this, he is a better writer and a better musician than Axl will ever be!