Playing With Feeling...

(Guitar playing)Ok, I'm slightly confused on what this term means, different people tell me different things. How do u 'play with feeling'? Is it the amount of energy you put in or what? :huh:

Sorry I sound like a noob

Edited by GNR'R

Playing with feel. Hmm, ok you know buckethead and vai etc. They use scales. Playing with feel, you don't play through a scale. I mean its obvious to play over A if the whole song is in A. If you don't understand, just solo over a song. But don't think about what scale you're using or whatever. Just play. If it sounds right...it is right

I play with feel. I asked my m8 who plays guitar what scale some of my songs are in an he was really confused. one of my solo's went from C to like B or somethin. I just used to play. Its obvious if a solo is waaay out. So you just play and if it feels right and sounds right...rock on rock3

Edited by Crash Diet

Playing with feel. Hmm, ok you know buckethead and vai etc. They use scales. Playing with feel, you don't play through a scale. I mean its obvious to play over A if the whole song is in A. If you don't understand, just solo over a song. But don't think about what scale you're using or whatever. Just play. If it sounds right...it is right

I play with feel. I asked my m8 who plays guitar what scale some of my songs are in an he was really confused. one of my solo's went from C to like B or somethin. I just used to play. Its obvious if a solo is waaay out. So you just play and if it feels right and sounds right...rock on  rock3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm I don't know much about scales but I get what you mean, thanks :)

I play with feel I think...

Are you sure theres not more to it?

Edited by GNR'R

Well, playing with feeling usually involves lots of bends n' slides.

For example, November Rain. Those are some of the greatest solos I've ever heard, and they aren't like shredding or anything. Playing with feeling is usually, like a bluesy type thing. Like, Yngwie doesn't play with feeling. I like his playing, hell yes, but, if I want to "get in touch with music", I'll but on some GNR stuff or some Gary Moore. Using blues scales help your solos seem to have more meaning. But it also all depends on the player, too.

Well, playing with feeling usually involves lots of bends n' slides.

For example, November Rain. Those are some of the greatest solos I've ever heard, and they aren't like shredding or anything. Playing with feeling is usually, like a bluesy type thing. Like, Yngwie doesn't play with feeling. I like his playing, hell yes, but, if I want to "get in touch with music", I'll but on some GNR stuff or some Gary Moore. Using blues scales help your solos seem to have more meaning. But it also all depends on the player, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seeeeeeeee thank you :)

Sorry, but what the other guys said is bullshit.

You have to play what YOU want. It's all about yourself and the way you like to play. If you think it sounds good, fuck what other people say. It's bullshit when people say "shredding doesn't have emotion" well how the fuck do you know it has no emotion, the guy doing the shredding might be putting all his heart and soul into it.

You'll devlop your own style, DO NOT COPY OTHERS STYLES, and you'll play your own music that you have a connection with.

I think of playing notes like talking. When you're sad, you say the words that communicate that you're sad. Same thing applies to the guitar, you play the notes that communicate that you're sad. They're just the notes that you feel sound like how you feel.

If I'm angry and I stroke the strings really hard, that comes through in the music. It sounds more aggressive. If I'm feeling happy and grab a light pick and just strum some open chords, that comes across in the music.

Learn to play the guitar first, then when you have a solid foundation, just play whatever the fuck you want.

You have to play what YOU want.  It's all about yourself and the way you like to play.  If you think it sounds good, fuck what other people say.  It's bullshit when people say "shredding doesn't have emotion" well how the fuck do you know it has no emotion, the guy doing the shredding might be putting all his heart and soul into it.

You'll devlop your own style, DO NOT COPY OTHERS STYLES, and you'll play your own music that you have a connection with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, yeah. But, if he wants his playing to sound emotional, shredding is not really the way to go. Yeah, shreddres can put emotion into their playing, of course. But.... songs that tend to sound more or emotional are usually slower and more bluesy than some dude shredding at 15325423 nps.

Like, Vai manages to shred, and his music is still beautiful. But there are a lotta like NuMetal guys that just throw down as many notes as possible, and I'm not really into all that.

But to each is own.

You have to play what YOU want.  It's all about yourself and the way you like to play.  If you think it sounds good, fuck what other people say.  It's bullshit when people say "shredding doesn't have emotion" well how the fuck do you know it has no emotion, the guy doing the shredding might be putting all his heart and soul into it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, yeah. But, if he wants his playing to sound emotional, shredding is not really the way to go. Yeah, shreddres can put emotion into their playing, of course. But.... songs that tend to sound more or emotional are usually slower and more bluesy than some dude shredding at 15325423 nps.

Like, Vai manages to shred, and his music is still beautiful. But there are a lotta like NuMetal guys that just throw down as many notes as possible, and I'm not really into all that.

But to each is own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i get what you mean, i was in a shitty mood before so sorry. But yeah, Bluesy stuff tends to flow better and not sound to harsh. But shredding done right is beautiful.

It's really up to the indivdual guitarist