The Beatles named Icons of the Century

Bruno

The Beatles have beaten jazz star Louis Armstrong and TV actress Lucille Ball to be named icons of the century by readers of US magazine Variety.

It named the Liverpool band "the sole group who has most shaped the face of modern-day showbusiness".

The magazine ranked 100 iconic entertainment figures from the last 100 years, with industry figures drawing up a shortlist that readers voted on.

What a Wonderful World singer Armstrong came second, with Ball in third place.

Among the criteria for choosing "icons" were their commercial and creative impact, number of imitators, enduring appeal and whether they appeared on T-shirts.

The list aimed to represent every side of showbusiness, including actors, directors, screenwriters, musicians, TV presenters, animals, comedians and even cartoon characters.

However, its top 10 was dominated by Hollywood and music stars.

Despite the constant popularity of the late singer's work, Elvis Presley appeared in 10th place, below Marilyn Monroe and Mickey Mouse.

Among other names on the list were US TV host Johnny Carson, singer Johnny Cash and canine star Lassie.

Variety conducted the poll to mark its 100th anniversary. It did not reveal how many votes were cast.

ICONS OF THE CENTURY

1. The Beatles

2. Louis Armstrong

3. Lucille Ball

4. Humphrey Bogart

5. Marlon Brando

6. Charlie Chaplin

7. James Dean

8. Marilyn Monroe

9. Mickey Mouse

10. Elvis Presley

Source: Variety magazine

link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4344910.stm

Elvis was no. 10? Only fucking 10? That is the worst list in the history of lists!  :anger:  How in the fuck could they put the King at number 10?  :devil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. The king should definitely be at least as high as Marlon Brando, for the love of christ. I liked Brando, but give me a break, this is the King of Rock n Roll.

I wonder where Michael Jackson ended up?

Elvis was no. 10? Only fucking 10? That is the worst list in the history of lists!  :anger:  How in the fuck could they put the King at number 10?  :devil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. The king should definitely be at least as high as Marlon Brando, for the love of christ. I liked Brando, but give me a break, this is the King of Rock n Roll.

I wonder where Michael Jackson ended up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God damn. You guys are right. Why in the hell is the King at 10?

But, of course, the King should be number 2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can never see how people can possibly be fans of Elvis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What?! :o Are you on crack?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was also gonna say the Beatles, but i thought i thatd piss some people off. And no, im not on crack, its just that Elvis sucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was also gonna say the Beatles, but i thought i thatd piss some people off. And no, im not on crack, its just that Elvis sucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

before this guy gets a new asshole ripped out of him, everyone know no matter how backwards and stupid it is, his opinion's his opinion, even though hes a fucking idiot and no one can argue elvis is the king of rock n roll

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

before this guy gets a new asshole ripped out of him, everyone know no matter how backwards and stupid it is, his opinion's his opinion, even though hes a fucking idiot and no one can argue elvis is the king of rock n roll

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shut up shitbag, having an opinion doesnt make you an idiot, so shut the fuck up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's cool, it's your opinion. If you meant that as an insult to Elvis fans, then that is very ignorant of you, though.

Pretty decent list. People who take anything like that too seriously, though, have my pity.

Its funny to think that The Beatles are now heralded as Icons of the 20th century (rightly so), because when they first appeared on the music scene they were laughed at. The moptops, with the fact they were from Liverpool, made early audiences laugh at them.

I don't see why James Dean is in the top 10, maybe in the top 20, but not that high. He wasn't an amazing actor, and it is only because of his untimely death he was elevated into cult staus as the king of cool and rebellion

Its funny to think that The Beatles are now heralded as Icons of the 20th century (rightly so), because when they first appeared on the music scene they were laughed at.  The moptops, with the fact they were from Liverpool, made early audiences laugh at them.

They laughed for ten minutes... then they heard the music. Then, they couldn't get enough.

Elvis was laughed at too.

Edit: How the hell can Louis Armstrong be a bigger icon than Elvis?! That's laughable.

Edited by Axl Rose Child

Its funny to think that The Beatles are now heralded as Icons of the 20th century (rightly so), because when they first appeared on the music scene they were laughed at.  The moptops, with the fact they were from Liverpool, made early audiences laugh at them.

They laughed for ten minutes... then they heard the music. Then, they couldn't get enough.

Elvis was laughed at too.

Edit: How the hell can Louis Armstrong be a bigger icon than Elvis?! That's laughable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

affirmative action mate

they had to have a woman and someone of another race (other than white) in the top three...it's generally the first rule creating one of these lists...try not to piss anyone off by creating a list of all white males or all black males or all females unless specified...but instead integrate so that people can go "okay, that makes sense" and move on...

and another rule of thumb is to make what's percieved demographically as their largest audience their frontmen...so in this case it would most likely be a white middle class majority that reads people...therefore the beatles won number one...

the reason the king didn't get number 1 or 2 or even 3 for that matter is due to their attempt at diversifying things so they slot him in low top ten

I don't see why James Dean is in the top 10, maybe in the top 20, but not that high.  He wasn't an amazing actor, and it is only because of his untimely death he was elevated into cult staus as the king of cool and rebellion

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

James Dean being there makes sense to me. He was unique, and made a huge influence.

I'm too lazy to go back and check the list....are Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn on it? They should be.