Perfect Album?

Genesis

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: I used to be THE Beatles fan in the forum ... Until Axl Rose Child got obsessed. Kinda funny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been obsessed with The Beatles for a very long time...

Just, I changed my avatar & sig. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i want to see you two with your moptops bungle this fight in the jungle arena...

"give em the honey pie dropkick yammy!"

"punch him with the all you need is love upper cut arc!"

"arghhhhh" says krissirge as he watches the televised showing on spike tv while he blasts strawberry fields forever....HARDCORE FUCKING METAL STYLE rock1

:ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL

Yeah, but I mean, everybody called me "the beatles guy" ... until you changed your avatar and sig :)

Ok, at the risk of sounding boring and throwing around a cliche...

... AC/DC - Back In Black

In my mind, that album is perfect. Highway To Hell is a superior album (as is Powerage) due to induvidual tracks... but it's let down by others. In contrast, Back In Black is just flawless; A fantastic album the whole way through, not a song on there that you'd ever consider skipping over.

It never pretends to be anything it's not, it's not over-produced, the levels on it are perfect, Angus has fantastic tone and Brian sounds hauntingly incredible. Some of the notes he hits are phenominal and i'm sorry (actually, i'm not at all) but he absolutely blows anything Axl has ever done out of the water vocally on that album.

Back In Black is the perfect album.

(PS - Why did someone say GN'R Lies? The first half of it is a fake concert and the second half is a bunch of average (albeit catchy) acoustic tunes. The only true classic to come from Lies was Patience. A good album, maybe even great, but nowhere near perfect and far from Guns' best work, IMO.)

EDIT: I used to be THE Beatles fan in the forum ... Until Axl Rose Child got obsessed. Kinda funny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i want to see you two with your moptops bungle this fight in the jungle arena...

"arghhhhh" says krissirge as he watches the televised showing on spike tv while he blasts strawberry fields forever....HARDCORE FUCKING METAL STYLE rock1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL

Yeah, but I mean, everybody called me "the beatles guy" ... until you changed your avatar and sig :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually, I'm a huge beatles fan as well, probably as much of a fan as u 2 are. and for matt, I'm sorry I went over the edge with that comment, u have the right to like any bands you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually, I'm a huge beatles fan as well, probably as much of a fan as u 2 are. and for matt, I'm sorry I went over the edge with that comment, u have the right to like any bands you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought you were leaving

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought you were leaving

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

meh kinda fount out i dont have much of a life outside this forum. this forum is actually kinda addicting.

this might sound a bit cliche, since it's coming from me, but the only album i can think of which is close to be perfect is

Makaveli - The Don Killuminati The 7 Day Theory

This could be the best rap-album ever, if there wouldn't be that goddamn female rapper in "Me and my girlfriend"... i hate her voice :fuckyou:

Ok, at the risk of sounding boring and throwing around a cliche...

... AC/DC - Back In Black

In my mind, that album is perfect. Highway To Hell is a superior album (as is Powerage) due to induvidual tracks... but it's let down by others. In contrast,  Back In Black is just flawless; A fantastic album the whole way through, not a song on there that you'd ever consider skipping over.

It never pretends to be anything it's not, it's not over-produced, the levels on it are perfect, Angus has fantastic tone and Brian sounds hauntingly incredible. Some of the notes he hits are phenominal and i'm sorry (actually, i'm not at all) but he absolutely blows anything Axl has ever done out of the water vocally on that album.

Back In Black is the perfect album.

(PS - Why did someone say GN'R Lies?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've basically summed up what my intentions were when I made this thread with your answer. Cheers!

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I love most of my favorite albums for how imperfect they are, theres something special about a band or artist putting everything they have on record and not giving a fuck about perfection, i mean isn't it cool to know that they hid nothing from you? this is why i love the illusions, the wall, london calling, physical graffiti, the fragile, basically alot of double albums. And who could forget the white album easily my favorite from the beatles, pretty much because of how imperfect it was, i mean seriously how can you say an album with "wild honey pie" and 'why dont we do it in the road?" is perfect. these and other tracks are funny and not really what you would call great, i mean you know the beatles weren't thinking about perfection when they put them out. perfect albums can be boring after awhile.

Albums close to it IMO:

Abbey Road - My favourite Beatles album. Everything was superior, the vocals, the bass, the guitars, the drums. George was becoming a much more involved guitarist in the songs, and his work on Octopus's Garden is genius. Paul was belting out some of his best vocals in Oh! Darling, and Ringo was doing some really extreme fills, plus a drum solo. And George wrote two classics, Something and Here Comes The Sun. And the final medley is simply ... Ooh. A strong mention from this album is You Never Give Me Your Money, underrated classic!

Disintegration - By The Cure. All the songs are huge epics with incredible orchestration, and they grab hold of your heart throughout all their length. The only thing I'd change about this album is that it is a bit too depressing at times. Strong mention is the title track, pure genius!

Dark Side Of The Moon - Great solos, relaxing tunes, great bass, nice drums, plus I like the backing vocals and the saxophone, very mind blowing. I like how the band members step in and out of the spotlight throughout the album. Incredible. My favourite album of all time. It would be much better with a few fast-paced songs put in it, but, whatever.

Animals - Though not as strong as others, there isn't a bad song on Animals. There are solos everywhere, and Roger's voice sounds awesome. However, having only three real tracks brigns this really down.

A Night At The Opera - I recently got this and it is growing on me. Great, great album. The only weak moments are The Prophet's Song (I don't like it when songs drag on too long, I love this tune but it may be much of a drag at times) and Love Of My Life and Good Company. Otherwise, genius!!

Back In Black...AFD...and RATM(debut) all about as close to perfect as rock albums get. Hard, heavy and you love 'em even more for their tiny imperfections because the bands put the music out there, taking risks and clearly not aiming for perfection. They rock as good and hard today as ever...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Ok then, i'll explain why i think Made in Japan is the closest an album gets to perfection

Firstly you have to understand Deep Purple were the biggest band of the early 70s, selling out concert after concert, they were famous for the amazing live shows they did. Made in Japan was released with a huge amount of anticipation, and it still remains a standard on how to do a great live album.

Deep Purple were a band that didn't just stick to the normal studio format of their songs, they improvised their songs and extended them and added extra solos. Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord are an amazing duo, their jams live were mind blowing.

Made in Japan opens with Highway Star, one of the hardest rocking songs ever, and they step up the tempo on this song, killer solos by both Jon and Ritchie. Next is Child in Time, one of my all time favourite songs, another Killer solo by Ritchie and the vocals by Gillan are amazing. Smoke on the Water next, Ritchie changes his solo and makes it soo much better than the studio one, and Jon also adds on a solo at the end. The open 3 solos are all awesome, the Album never lets up. The Mule has a great drum solo from Ian Paice, who is defantly an underrated drummer, defantly one of the best of the 70s, and after the drum solo Ritchie and Jon kick in for a jam. After that is Strange Kind of Woman, which they extended for nearly three times longer than the studio version, Ritchie changes solo to make it much better, then later on improvises an absolutley kick ass solo and then has a very cool call and response with Ian Gillan who then does some spine chilling screams at the end. The album does let up there though, at the start of Lazy Jon lord uses all sorts of weird effects and does some improvisation before getting stuck into the song, very cool, Lazy is one of my favourite Purps song and in Made in Japan its a billion times better than studio with it being 4 min longer than studio with the band improvising parts here and there. Space Trucking is next and is a whopping 20 min long, this song is bloody awesome and it then goes into a huge improvised solo by Jon Lord and then one by Blackmore.

I could go on about the whole album, but i'll leave it there,

It's truely, well i think, the greatest Live Album ever, Deep Purple were amazing and they were so talented with such a strong chemstry.

• 8 months later...
Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

1. I like this thread.

2. This thread shows how much certain members are missed today.

I still like my albums messy, but there are certain records that do get close to perfection, highvoltage has got the right idea.

I used to think AFD was perfect, but I started hating "Think About You" & "My Michelle" recently.

Albums that could be considered perfect:

Rocks- Aerosmith

Toys in the Attic- Aerosmith

Purple Rain- Prince

Use Your Illusion I- Guns N' Roses (yes, I do think it's perfect)

The Queen is Dead- The Smiths

Amorica- The Black Crowes

Billion Dollar Babies- Alice Cooper

Five Live Yardbirds- The Yardbirds

Highway 61 Revisited- Bob Dylan

Let There Be Rock- AC/DC

461 Ocean Boulevard- Eric Clapton

Disraeli Gears- Cream

Blood on the Tracks- Bob Dylan

Rat in Mi Kitchen- UB40

Labor of Love- UB40

There's a few...