Can someone explain torrents to me?

Guest gnr>everything

Guest gnr>everything

I looked it up on wikipedia but I don't understand it at all...

So can someone explain to me the process of download, seeding(wtf?), and getting all the parts or whatever of a torrent?

I'd really appreciate this.

OK, seeding=hosting, leeching=downloading.

A torrent is basically a list of files to download. Instead of other P2P programs where you can download 1 individual file at a time, with a torrent program you download the torrent, and that tells your computer what files to download. For example... If you want to download a bunch of MP3's from my computer, you would download a torrent, open your torrent client (like BitLord) and open the torrent file. You would then start downloading all the MP3's on the torrent, without having to search for each individual one.

Guest gnr>everything

Ok, I kinda understand. How come people don't always get the whole file and need to download different parts from different people though?

Ok, I kinda understand. How come people don't always get the whole file and need to download different parts from different people though?

Okay, as a dialup user, i've never used it, but my understanding is that if the person you're downloading the torrent from disconnects their internet or stops 'seeding' the file, then obviously you can't get the whole torrent.

If somebody else is seeding the identical file, then you can download parts off them too.

• 1 month later...

When you want to download something from somewhere like torrentspy.com or thepiratebay.org make sure you look for the torrent with the most SEEDS. The more seeds the faster the download will go. Also, if there is no seeds - you will never get the file. Even if you download 99% - it will be useless.

do they mess up your computer as i have had p2p software before and it messed my computer up. thanks

SS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it shouldn't, but as is the case with everything, there's no guarantee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

true, never had a problem with bitlord.

and isohunt.com is by far the best torrent search engine

When you want to download something from somewhere like torrentspy.com or thepiratebay.org make sure you look for the torrent with the most SEEDS. The more seeds the faster the download will go. Also, if there is no seeds - you will never get the file. Even if you download 99% - it will be useless.

Did you enjoy the VR show after all that, or did it never finish downloading?