Imprivising

Yo...I am sittin her trying to tab the Used to love her at fox late night show...and I find it extremely hard..then a kind of noobie tought rushed through my head....Is Slash really making this fantastic solos up while he plays? (improvising)....or has he made it up before the show?

and the kohd live era solos to, are they improvising or not?

anyone knows?

Yeah man. You have to remember that Slash has played all of those songs hundreds of times in rehearsals so the majority of the "spontaneous" stuff he does is usually very well practiced (hence his excellent execution).

I'm not saying that the whole solo would have been planned note for note though.

One of my favourite solos is the 2nd one in KOHD from the UYI II DVD. That was awesome.

Yo...I am sittin her trying to tab the Used to love her at fox late night show...and I find it extremely hard..then a kind of noobie tought rushed through my head....Is Slash really making this fantastic solos up while he plays? (improvising)....or has he made it up before the show?

and the kohd live era solos to, are they improvising or not? 

anyone knows?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you upload the movie? I'd like to see it!

Improvising solos is nothing really, many many many guitarists do it.

Ritchie Blackmore improvised all his solos in the studio, the problem was live he couldn't remember how they exactly how he did it in the studio, but it didn't matter because he just made it up as he went along, this made live gigs much more interesting as nothing was the same.

Improvising solos is nothing really, many many many guitarists do it.

Ritchie Blackmore improvised all his solos in the studio, the problem was live he couldn't remember how they exactly how he did it in the studio, but it didn't matter because he just made it up as he went along, this made live gigs much more interesting as nothing was the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats what i do lol. The solo's on my last bands demo tape were totally different how i played them live

• 2 weeks later...

Typically, as you play songs several times you start to discover licks that you think sound the best. Even though you're still improvising the solo, persay, many of the licks are things that you work out in jams ahead of time. For example my band covers All Along the Watchtower a lot. Being a jam band, there's between 10 and 15 minutes of soloing (at least) every time we play it. You can hear a short (8 min), low-quality version of it over on our MySpace site. I know the vocals aint so hot, but it was a bad day vocally for me to begin with, and I couldn't hear myself due to the way the amps, mics, etc were set up. That was no matter, though, since this was just us rehearsing. But I digress. I play lead, and whenever we play that song, there are certain licks that I pulled out of Dylan's rescent live versions, as well as just licks that I've come up with and enjoy, that are always there. Solos on songs that I've played a lot tend to come to me easier, seeing as I have a library of licks for it stored in my head already, so I just have to think of filler to string them together. It's all a matter of the player, thou, I guess. That's my prefference. Slash may map his solo out entirely ahead of time, but being a lead guitarist for a jam band, I can't do that, so ^^^ that's what I do.

Sorry if this was kind of rantish, but I hope it answered your question.