Hurt

axl04

Whose rendition do like better?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Johnny Cash all the way he makes that song his own and extremely emotional

Edit: Ya so my computer randomly fucked up and gave me two of the same poll..so um choose either one or both

Edited by axl04

Trent's version is much better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not much better tho really is it? both versions are pretty much alike but although its not his song Cash's version seems a lot more personal and he has a much better voice, u just sound like a biased nin fan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. I don't know if he's biased or not, but I don't see how anyone can put NIN's version higher. I'm certain Trent Reznor would admit that Cash did more with the song than they did. There's a reason that Cash's version has become THE sad song, and not NIN's. Nothing against NIN either, but they just aren't Johnny Cash.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Trent's version is much better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not much better tho really is it? both versions are pretty much alike but although its not his song Cash's version seems a lot more personal and he has a much better voice, u just sound like a biased nin fan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They really aren't very alike. The guitar part on the verse is actually different, it makes it sound less freaky. Cash's voice is nearly opposite of Trent's in range, tone, and delivery. Cash changes the vocal melody in some places and very much alters the phrasing. Insect-like synth noises and reverb effects are used on NIN's version, becoming more prominent towards the end and culminating in an explosion of feedback. Cash's version is just plain acoustic guitar and piano on the verse and either harmonium or strings on the chorus. In the ending, although both include a steady increase in volume, they are very different. The aforementioned explosion of feedback is the final statement of NIN's version, drowning out Trent's vocal. In Cash's version the music drops out and Cash himself makes the final statement in the last line of the song. The reason the cover is so great is Hurt is very much an angst driven, young man's song, but Cash turns it into a song in which an old man recognizes his mortality just by using his own style on it. NIN's is still better IMO.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

Cash's version is so unbelievably emotional its amazing, so I'll go with that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the video is incredible, it really transfixes you.

When I heard it in a music shop in Covent Garden, it gave me a lump in my throat.

I think both are extremly good, in there on way.

I go with johnnys version, cause the pain in his voice seams so genuine

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't he die a few weeks after his version was released? :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure of the exact timeframe, but just a few months afterwards. The video is extremely sad. The only music video that has ever made me cry. During the line, "Everyone I know goes away in the end", the camera shows Cash looking up at a picture of his recently deceased wife, June. The line, "You can have it all; my empire of dirt" show his records shattered in pieces and his guitar rusting away. It's the greatest video ever, and nobody on this earth can convince me otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure of the exact timeframe, but just a few months afterwards. The video is extremely sad. The only music video that has ever made me cry. During the line, "Everyone I know goes away in the end", the camera shows Cash looking up at a picture of his recently deceased wife, June. The line, "You can have it all; my empire of dirt" show his records shattered in pieces and his guitar rusting away. It's the greatest video ever, and nobody on this earth can convince me otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, June was still alive during that time and even appeared in the video. The woman in the picture was his mother, Reba Cash.

June Carter passed away in May (15th, I believe) of 2003, and Johnny passed on 12 September, 2003.

Not sure of the exact timeframe, but just a few months afterwards.  The video is extremely sad.  The only music video that has ever made me cry.  During the line, "Everyone I know goes away in the end", the camera shows Cash looking up at a picture of his recently deceased wife, June.  The line, "You can have it all; my empire of dirt" show his records shattered in pieces and his guitar rusting away.  It's the greatest video ever, and nobody on this earth can convince me otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bit when he looks up at his wife standing on the stairs always makes me cry, because they both have such a look of sorrow on their faces.

Thanks for the info Santana.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like two better:

Real Love - The Beatles

Something - The Beatles

Not because I'm biased towards the Beatles, but really, these are very personal and emotive.