New GNR sentiment

gnrlies

I have been surfing some of the newgnr.com forum posts and i feel that it is dissapointing to see that there is an "anti-old gnr" sentiment in there..... I think that its really crap for this to be happening. People actually feel hatred to the old guys.....

I am in support of the new band, but as a new band, not as GNR... Why are some people feeling this way? Why are they rejecting what made GNR famous and being ignorant to axl's arsehole nature....

Who is it that you think feels hatred toward the old band?   And what "anti-old GNR sentiment" are you referring to?  I'd guess that I'm definitely on your list but I'm not anti old GNR at all.  I'm just "pro new GNR".  It's kinda like the pro-choice/pro-life thing.  Just because you're pro-choice doesn't make you anti-life. (And let's not let this degenerate into an abortion debate.  It was just an example to illustrate the point.)  

Well its not like people are feeling  hatred in the literal sense of the word but there is a sense of anti GNR... its only subtle, but its their...

I mean for example, on another forum board, if you mention any of the old guys names, it gets blocked out... It may only be to promote conversation on the new band, but is mentioning slash's name equal to swearing?

Other instances..... Some people say that the new band is better than the old band... as if.... the new band hasn't even released an album, and its live performances haven't been anything special...

i mean its not deep and menaingfull, and is perhaps a way of moving on for old fans, but as you said, rather than being pro new band it is anti old band, which kinda sux..

Well I can't speak for other forums but I do know that here there's been a lot of talk about old members and none of it has been blocked.  Some of it's good and some of it's bad and some of it isn't all what it appears to be at first glance.  

As for the new band being better than the old band, people like different things.  Some are dedicated to the old band, some prefer the new and some can appreciate the differences and like both.  But no matter what a person feels about it, it's only an opinion and everyone's entitled to their own.  Music is too personal a thing to allow someone else to dictate what's good and what isn't.  Or even what's good and what's better.  

Well yeah, people are entitled to an opinion, especially for music.,..

I may be changing the topic here a little, but most of the people who are pro new gnr aren't like that for the music, they are like that becuase it is the last thread of GNR left... And they want to hang onto that thread for as long as they can.. And that means sucking axl's dick saying that this is the best band that ever walked the planet. I mean they havent even released any material yet! So it surely cant be an opinion based on their musical skills.

And the new songs are great.. I love madagascar and the blues, but thats becuase axl is a good songwriter.. Not becuase the new band is particularly skilled or anything....

Whether or not the new band is talented or skilled is also a matter of opinion.  Even most of those who trashed Axl after the VMA performance were impressed by the band's performance.  Typically when the new band is trashed people are whining about how they look ::) or the fact that they aren't the old band.  

Well yes of course, that is a big issue...

For me, the biggest criticism of the new band, is that it doesn't embody anything that is GNR... Thats not to say that they are crap, its just to say that they dont convey the same feeling as the old band. I mean the old band had a real solid rock feel to them... You know the feel that got them titled the most dangerous band in the world!

I mean that came from many factors, their raw and loose playing which isn't evident with the new trio of guitarists, their looks yes! Bucket is a freak! as is finck at times... (at least with his stocking off his head he looks a little bit more respectable)... The songs also did that.. The old appetite sound was the best GNR have ever sounded... The new band is a little bit more industrial and controled.. And yes! That might be good to someone as it is a matter of opinion...

BUT!

GNR is not just a name, it is a stlye.. I mean you couldn't turn around and call say the spice girls "metalli ca" it just wouldn't work becuase metallica focus on a more metal edged sound and the spice girls well umm yes...

Im sure ive changed the topic even again, but hey! Its an interesting discussion!

This argument is old and fimiliar. ;)  It all comes back to what attracted(or attracts) a person to GNR in the first place.  For many people that was Axl.  His voice, his lyrics, his attitude, his image.  All of which have matured but it's still Axl.  And I'd argue that when you say "Guns N Roses" to most people who aren't really fans they think "Axl Rose" first and foremost.  (Someone is bound to tell me that GNR was a band not just Axl.  Yes it was.  I'm sayimng that Axl was the attraction for a whole segment of people.)

You were apparently attracted by the music of AFD.  And since the new band isn't doing that you naturally prefer the old.  But keep in mind that even the old band most likely wouldn't be doing that today either.  The Illusions were AFD either.  

And as for looks GNR back in the day was in many ways as different as GNR is today.  Kilts weren't exactly common place.  And being you who want to be regardless of what anyone else wants or expects you to be is as much a part of the GNR style as any of the rest of it.

Well the image that axl "DID" portray was that he was a badarse mutherfucker not to be messed with (as corny as it may sound!) Which he doesn't portray anymore. He's gone a bit soft if you ask me, which is ok, bcos if we get an album of songs of equal quality as say madagascar the CD is going to be kickass, but not in the same way GNR was kickass...(and i refer to GNR as the old band, becuase that was GNR.. This is a new band with axl in it...)

Slash you have to atmit is an equal member.. I would say that slash and axl made GNR in equal amounts.. I mean axl would only be "recognised" by normal people becuase he is the frontman, but the quality of the music was equally contributed by slash and axl. Slash wrote many fo the killer riffs and solos that attracts many people to the sound of GNR... Slash also had the ability to play it with style.. (buckethead just doesn't have that same level of animation as slash.... Bhead doesn't have the same feel as slash, afterall slash was voted the 4th best guitarist of all time)

And fans were attracted to the music at the end of the day, not one man...

I think that it needs to be established that this band is a new band... It isn't gnr.. Its only called that for legal reasons.. I mean the difference between say someone like axl and lenny kravitz, is that axl is part of a band lenny has an interchangeable group of musicians for his band.. And GNR was a band that could only include the original band..

But anyways..

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Gnrlies ,  GNR was , is a style not only a name , I'll keep it short by saying there are many songs I can't picture the new dudes plyin ,even though they are talented . The songs : Mr. Brownstone , It's so easy , nightrain , bad obsession , even the mellower stuff  , ie Patience or 1 in a million . Why you ask , they style and feel of these songs are far too different from the musicians that are now plying them , I mean Finck plays that weird , evil strnge kinda music an Buckethead , well someone clue mean on his style of music cause I got no idea what it is , but anyway I'm sure  evryone gets my point .

Peace GnR Nation 8)

Este posteo va en español para que lo lea el que lo entienda.

Que los Guns vuelvan es lo mejor que pudo pasar. Está claro que no será lo mismo sin Slash, Duff, etc., pero Guns más que una banda de rock, es un sentimiento.

Viva el Rock Mierdaaa!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK i must admit i've gone a bit new GNR mental.  but really was AFD really that gud.  OK it kiked every other bands asses but as far as musicality and vaiation in the music the Illusions were miles better.  Axl is the greatest frontman ever he literally own Guns N' Roses and if it wernt for him they wouldnt be around now.  OK Slash might have got the copyrights but as i have said before look at Slash's snakepit.  What Axl is doing is good. He has to change the style otherwiese Guns will die out. It's not just our opinion that keeps them in the charts its the rest of the record buying public's aswell.  I know she pop but if Madonna hadn't changed her style she would never still be here now.  Can you imagine the old squeeky voiced 'Holiday' still having major airplay today?  reinventing yourself and making a major comeback is what makes a great artist/band great!  

OK i must admit i've gone a bit new GNR mental.  but really was AFD really that gud.  OK it kiked every other bands asses but as far as musicality and vaiation in the music the Illusions were miles better.  Axl is the greatest frontman ever he literally own Guns N' Roses and if it wernt for him they wouldnt be around now.  OK Slash might have got the copyrights but as i have said before look at Slash's snakepit.  What Axl is doing is good. He has to change the style otherwiese Guns will die out. It's not just our opinion that keeps them in the charts its the rest of the record buying public's aswell.  I know she pop but if Madonna hadn't changed her style she would never still be here now.  Can you imagine the old squeeky voiced 'Holiday' still having major airplay today?  reinventing yourself and making a major comeback is what makes a great artist/band great!  

thumbs up! :D i mean now he's like 40, he lives in a mansion and he doesn't shoot up anymore (i dont think :-/) and so like he couldnt still be in a band that writes songs about living on the streets, being unemployd and using drugs... its natural for his music to mature as he does. :)

well axl was a major part of GNR, but its very easy to hear the difference between the old and new. The new just doesn't have for starters the rawness and image,a dn it isn't anything like the old gnr (which is why the name issue is so fucking retarded) I think you would find that axl would have a lot more respect amongst his fans and critics alike if he carried on under a different name.

As for maturing, well maturing is great, but at what point does it become bad? Well it becomes bad when the style has changed so much that the band you started listening to sounds nothing like the band you are currently listening to. Based on the newer live shows this is very much the case.

The progression between appetite and illusions was fantastic (although perhaps a little rushed - i.e. the album should of only ever been released as one and not 2), but you could listen to the two and say "this is the same band"

And people who think that they can compare the old with the new are just kidding themselves. I mean can you honestly compare 5 albums and hundreds of live shows etc with 5 tracks that are only out via unprofessionally recorded bootlegs. You just cant compare which is why people who say the new is better or whatever are fucking crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, then i suppose we cant really judge this new band until the CD comes out, the shows are great but then they do play old material... so Chinese D is going to be the ultimate decider.

"It's a jungle out there, everyone for themselves, the strong survive and the weak, well..."