any singing tips for a complete beginner ?

hello. well, to start off, i am 16 years old and ive been playing music since i was in the 2nd grade. i have recently become interested in singing and i owe that to Axl. i got lessons last june for three months, but they didnt help as much as i thought that the lessons were supposed to.

i "sing" everyday for about 20 mins, but i really havent been taking it that seriously. i started REALLY practicing on monday. i have been using warm up tapes and cool down tapes, but thats all i do for about 30 mins daily.

what i wanna ask is, am i still able to learn, because i feel that i suck balls at this and i get seriously discouraged and frustarated at times. what is recommended i should do? are there any good rock songs that a beginner could sing along to? what are some other forms of warm ups and cool downs i could do that would help............. and lastly what are some exercises i could do to yell, scream, roar, screech and all that beautiful stuff that these 80s rock vocalists were able to do.

well, if anybody reads this, thanks for taking your time to do so, and if you reply thank even more........ even though there isnt much of a thing i could do to thank..................

hello. well, to start off, i am 16 years old and ive been playing music since i was in the 2nd grade. i have recently become interested in singing and i owe that to Axl. i got lessons last june for three months, but they didnt help as much as i thought that the lessons were supposed to.

i "sing" everyday for about 20 mins, but i really havent been taking it that seriously. i started REALLY practicing on monday. i have been using warm up tapes and cool down tapes, but thats all i do for about 30 mins daily.

what i wanna ask is, am i still able to learn, because i feel that i suck balls at this and i get seriously discouraged and frustarated at times. what is recommended i should do? are there any good rock songs that a beginner could sing along to? what are some other forms of warm ups and cool downs i could do that would help............. and lastly what are some exercises i could do to yell, scream, roar, screech and all that beautiful stuff that these 80s rock vocalists were able to do.

well, if anybody reads this, thanks for taking your time to do so, and if you reply thank even more........ even though there isnt much of a thing i could do to thank..................

don't worry dude!!

1. YES YOU CAN SING!!! If you've played music for a long time, getting the right pitch shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to hear it in your head and nail it.

2. As for vocal coaches, they aren't worth shit if you don't pay more than 80 bucks pr. lesson.

3. Use the warm up tapes you have and cool downs.

4. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT try to IMMITATE some other singer with full voice, yes, learn from him, listen and listen to how and what he or she does to get that cool sound. But at the end of the day you gotta find your own way to make YOUR sound!!! Comparing yourself to singers on tape or cd just kills your motivation, there are so many layers of vocal in the mix that you won't be able to sing like that even if you were a ten headed monster! :)

5. REMEMBER!! YOU DO NOT SUCK BALLS!!!! I can try to help you a little, but the that's the FIRST thing you've gotta overcome!!!!! DO NOT THINK YOU SUCK BALLS!!! NEVER!!!

here's what I posted in another thread... might be usefull...

relax your shoulders, try to suck in air into the diaphragm, LOCK the cage with your ribs. don't OVER tighten it, but make sure you give enough air to the chords to sustain the singing. don't try HOLDING your breath. that doesn't make sense. the belly should be sucked UP as the ribcage tightens and the diaphragm expands.

try this breathing technique with your normal voice first. feel it around until you get the strongest voice possible. Put your palm on the chest, sing a normal tone with this breathing technique. You should feel your chest vibrating slightly, if not. Then you aren't singing properly. When you feel it vibrating, it's called CHEST voice. The voice resonates in your chest. Try doing some scales. with your palm on the chest and shoulders still relaxed.

Do a GOOD warmup. 5-10 minutes with different scales up and down. Try them in reverse order. This is a GREAT method to both warm up your chords, and also give you better range. The more you do this the chords are gonna strengthen and your voice will build a character too, but make sure that in this process, that you are standing infront of a mirror, so you can see how you do this.Try different ways if manipulating the vowels and sound with your MOUTH. Good singers create their own voice by finding places in their mouths and throat to get a cool sounding voice. Try putting your head up, widening your mouth, bend and stretch the mouth/throat area until you've explored different sounds. What hurts and what doesn't hurt.

The tought and told way of reaching the high notes is to relax your jaw, open your mouth normally and put your chin on your chest. this way you should get the most of your higher range. Then remember, AIR doesn't give you controlled high notes, you have to sustain a steady airflow.it WILL also get HARDER to hit high notes with less air, but this is a SAFE way to get to your first limits.

As you hold your palm on your chest, go from the very bottom of your comfortable voice to what you feel is a comfortable high voice. As you reach the higher/tones you should feel that the chest vibrates less.Try adding a little more air to it now, as you go up the range! REMEMBER!! DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A PROPER WARMUP!!!!! When you hit the even higher ranges now, the chest shouldn't be vibrating and you are hitting some pretty high notes. NOT TOO HIGH THOUGH!!When the chest stops vibrating and you are "up there", this is called "HEAD VOICE".

Congrats, now try singing in head voice in SPEAKING COMFORT LEVEL. DO NOT STRAIN OR STRESS YOUR VOICE and CHORDS. IT WILL CAUSE DAMAGE!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RASP YOUR VOICE!!!!!The RASP is highly misunderstood by most ppl, and shouldn't be used until a STRONG basis is built. Great singers use a different rasp than just choking the air supply or increasing the airflow. ALSO!!! sucking in air in your lungs and just push out air to get a voice isn't singing. you will only end up finding your self straining and holding back your throat because of the gigantic pressure put on the chords. This will HURT your voice. SECOND, get a NORMAL volume down, singing loud as a motherfucker isn't for everybody to do, practice till you get a GOOD volume, and expect a LITTLE jump in volume as you go to the higher range. It won't be alot of an increase, but the higher frequency of sound penetrates the air easier than the lower ones. This is also why many singers back away from the microphone when they go UP. One more thing, keep your throat RELAXED!! straining or pulling muscles together doesn't help.X

I'll get back to this another time. For now.Build your OWN voice. This is an EASY and SAFE way to do it. You'll need atleast one year of solid training and practicing these methods to get down the voice right.

if you have any questions and if some things aren't clear. PLEASE DO ASK!!I'm just a human like you.

BTW, these are all guidelines. If something quite doesn't work out for you, figure out your own way of doing this.

I'm a singer myself. Practise does help a lot. What you should do is put on your favourite album and sing a long to every song on it. If you find a song you can't sing, just work on it. This time last year I couldn't even sing VR, now I can sing some Zeppelin. :)

It is not enough with practise.

You have to have talent and ability to hear in wich tones you should be singing.

You should not try to sound as someone else just because you like the singer.

Dont try to sing as Axl or Freddie Mercury as an example.

Do not try to sing as Paul Mcartney, the best voice ever. Its impossible.

Find your own singingstyle and develop it.

I'm a singer myself. Practise does help a lot. What you should do is put on your favourite album and sing a long to every song on it. If you find a song you can't sing, just work on it. This time last year I couldn't even sing VR, now I can sing some Zeppelin. :)

you're WRONG!!!

and Dachan is right!!

DO NOT COPY!! or immitate someone... it'll only kill motivation and voice.

you're WRONG!!!

and Dachan is right!!

How am I wrong? I said sing a long to other songs, not imitate the singer. I'm refering to range mainly.

Besides, by singing a long to songs, you can figure out what makes vocals in a song good and can help influencing in your own songs.

Who gives a shit if you can sing SCOM note perfect, its your own songs where you should shine.

you're WRONG!!!

and Dachan is right!!

How am I wrong? I said sing a long to other songs, not imitate the singer. I'm refering to range mainly.

Besides, by singing a long to songs, you can figure out what makes vocals in a song good and can help influencing in your own songs.

Who gives a shit if you can sing SCOM note perfect, its your own songs where you should shine.

EGG FUCKIN SACLTY!!

jevo your fuckin awesome dudes!

your view on life and your stuff n stuff rawks1

CAnt waitt til i hear some of your bands stuff :)

you're WRONG!!!

and Dachan is right!!

hell im right!

i know my shit.

producer/singer/songwriter

damian1200 - you can buy the album.

you're WRONG!!!

and Dachan is right!!

you are wrong because it's not a BEGINNERS thing to do, people who aren't familiar with pitch and tone will overpower easily when they crank up the stereo.

I KNOW THIS!! My 80 year old vocal coach said that's the common reason why people can't sing.

When you sing along to a tune, you don't hear yourself, you sing in the blind, and think you ROCK!!

Learnig how others sing, and "steal" techniques from others is a thorough process. It demands a somewhat trained ear and understanding of singing and a capability of reaching some notes.

For someone a little TRAINED, there IS a point singing SCOM pitch perfect, nailing every note. 'cus you practice hitting the right pitch and level. Tone, breath, voice, volume control. Not being said you'll learn how to sing it LIKE axl, but you will learn about your own voice.

The reason I'm saying NOT to do this, is because a beginner will VERY easilly get confused on HOW to do this. So don't go around blowing smoke outta your ass, when in truth you don't know SHIT!

you're WRONG!!!

and Dachan is right!!

you are wrong because it's not a BEGINNERS thing to do, people who aren't familiar with pitch and tone will overpower easily when they crank up the stereo.

I KNOW THIS!! My 80 year old vocal coach said that's the common reason why people can't sing.

When you sing along to a tune, you don't hear yourself, you sing in the blind, and think you ROCK!!

Learnig how others sing, and "steal" techniques from others is a thorough process. It demands a somewhat trained ear and understanding of singing and a capability of reaching some notes.

For someone a little TRAINED, there IS a point singing SCOM pitch perfect, nailing every note. 'cus you practice hitting the right pitch and level. Tone, breath, voice, volume control. Not being said you'll learn how to sing it LIKE axl, but you will learn about your own voice.

The reason I'm saying NOT to do this, is because a beginner will VERY easilly get confused on HOW to do this. So don't go around blowing smoke outta your ass, when in truth you don't know SHIT!

hell yeah teddy is right.

he also knows the shit.