Smashing Pumpkins

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

I just started listening to them recently. "Disarm" is brilliant! I like "Bullet with Butterfly Wings," too. I'm going to get the Mellon Collie album soon.

Guest JohnUlmer
Yeah, I used to like them back in the 90's, but I don't listen to their stuff anymore.

There are rumors of a reunion, that would be good.

I don't think it'll happen. I read an interview with Billy in a guitar magazine and he basically said he just wants to move on with a solo career and leave the best behind them. It'd be nice, though.

Yeah, I used to like them back in the 90's, but I don't listen to their stuff anymore.

I don't think it'll happen. I read an interview with Billy in a guitar magazine and he basically said he just wants to move on with a solo career and leave the best behind them. It'd be nice, though.

This is from Billy's website:

When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the Metro stage believing that I was forever leaving a piece of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasn't in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking for. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in The Smashing Pumpkins.

For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

http://www.billycorgan.com/news050621.html

Guest JohnUlmer

This is from Billy's website:

When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the Metro stage believing that I was forever leaving a piece of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasn't in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking for. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in The Smashing Pumpkins.

For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

http://www.billycorgan.com/news050621.html

Cool! I guess what he said in that magazine interview was just to help hype up his album.

Smashing Pumpkins were a weird band. I have all their albums but the thing is I don't think they make great albums. They have some really great songs and some absolutely terrible songs. There doesn't seem to be much inbetween with them. Either the song is great or it sucks. The great songs are great enough though for me to own all their albums which is good enough I suppose. I think their best album is Adore but strangely enough I don't think it boasts any of their very best songs. It just works for me as an album.

Guest JohnUlmer
Smashing Pumpkins were a weird band. I have all their albums but the thing is I don't think they make great albums. They have some really great songs and some absolutely terrible songs. There doesn't seem to be much inbetween with them. Either the song is great or it sucks. The great songs are great enough though for me to own all their albums which is good enough I suppose. I think their best album is Adore but strangely enough I don't think it boasts any of their very best songs. It just works for me as an album.

I think I agree. I'm listening to Siamese Dream right now - some songs are great, others just aren't.

I'm listening to Siamese Dream right now - some songs are great, others just aren't.

Really? Which ones?

I honestly can't think of a song on Siamese Dream that I don't like. Mayonaise, Geek USA, Quiet, Cherub Rock, Disarm, Today, Luna .... they're all brilliant.

I love how Pumpkins could sound so heavy with the all the layered guitar, yet so incredibly soft and harmonious all at the same time. Listen to the last minute of Geek USA - you don't know whether to headbang to that insane riff, or just lose yourself in Billy's beautiful melody.

Great band.

Love the pumpkins, of all the "grunge/alt" bands im not saying there the best (although they might be) but they were definately the most diverse musically, really starting to get into siamese dream at the moment, i agree with dead flower in saying that theres not a bad song on there, ive also got mellon collie.....which i havnt really got into as much, but any band that has the balls to release a 28 track double album deserves respect for that.

Siamese Dreams and Mellon Collie are great albums, but I have to agree with Karma_Police that Adore seems to be the most consistant. Crestfallen and To Sheila are such dreamy songs.

I used to listen to the pumpkins all the time, but Machina (terrible album) put me off them for a while.

One of my favourite bands. I just love the song mayonaise. The acoustics are just so beautiful, and then the distortion comes in and you just drown in a wave of sound. :wub:

Billy has always been the heart of the band anyway though. Look at the credits for SD; he wrote every song on it on his own, with the exception of 3 which he did with James Iha. He actually plays all the guitars and bass on the album as well. So him using the Smashing Pumpkins name as opposed to going solo is really just a symbolic difference.

Edited by Maddergascar