How did GNR come into your life?

Ultrastar

Alright, I was just sitting here, listening to some GNR, and I was thinking back, trying to remember when Guns first came into my life. At the time, I was into Pop music, I led a very sheltered life. I was raised in a house where Rock music was evil. I was a church going guy, and I had a "Happily Ever After" outlook on life. Everything always went right for me, I was dating the captain of the cheerleading squad, and life was perfect in my eyes.

but then my world just came crashing down.

Everyone has their sad stories, and this was a very depressing time in my life, I won't go into details and bother you all with mine, but this is when I found the Guns.....

Their music opened my eyes, to a whole new different world. I knew once I heard those piercing, raw, whiskey vigor, vocals of Axl Rose, and the mind blowing guitar solos of Slash, that not only could I never go back to the way my life was, but I didn't want to.

At this time in my life, my friends all turned their backs on me because I had changed. In everyones eyes at church I was "evil".

and I just didn't care.

The first song I heard was Welcome to The Jungle, I listened to all of Appetite For Destruction, and I had to have more. I bought every album, and listened to every song. I couldn't put them down. I bought their DVD's and couldn't get enough of watching the Guns perform.

I now listen to rock bands like Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Queen, Chilli Peppers etc, but nothing will ever replace Guns N' Roses as my all time favorite band.

"Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games!...."

So when did The Guns come into your life?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1988 I was staying up late watching Headbanger's Ball because 17 year-old horny guys just can't sleep. At the time, I liked listening to Phil Collins, damn me. My bro had forced some Rush and Beastie Boys on me but I just wasn't biting. But anyway, I was awake, and there it happened, WTTJ. Now, I'm completely F'd up. I went to school the next day and said something to some rocker chick about GN'R, and she said she had a tape. Next day, I had it, dubbed it (sans Rocket Queen due to length) and listened to it non-stop for about 4 years. Tara Leonard. That chick ruined me. Now I lurk here every day and watch you guys post, hoping for some good news. Where the hell is it?

I still have the same tape player. God I'm old. But I'll tell you, Axl has been keeping my ass awake for a long time and I have nothing but respect for that procrastinating old bastard. Thanks for making the long drives alot shorter Mr. Rose (and company). And yeah now I like Rush too. Stupid brothers.

It was 1993, i was 3 and my dad was watching tv and i watched estranged and i loved it. I dabbled in a little GNR here and there but when I really got into music at age 12 i started listening a little more and at age 14 i was having problems with friends and girls and I really got into GNR and havent looked back since, I have been obsessed for almost 2 years now, I cant get enough.

Ok well about 2 years ago i was watching Video Hits one morning, and it was a request day and WTTJ came on. I watched the video and it was awsome (considering all the crap i was listning to)...i had heard it before but i never knew who singed it or anything. So i downloaded it and the version i got was really crappy and halfway through the 2nd verse it just turned into a high pitched noise. So i never downloaded another version for ages and kind of forgot about guns.

Then one morning on the bus this girl was talking about GnR and i asked her if i could borrow the CD, so we wet to the shops one day and i got Live Era' off her. Instantly it was great, although i only liked the fast songs like WTTJ and Nightrain, but then after a while I ended up listening to all the others (Estranged, Don't Cry, etc).

A few weeks after listning to Live Era over and over again, i bought Tokyo Disc 1 DVD. Seeing them perform live was something completly different to listening to a CD. The next week i bought the 2nd Disc, and then the next i purchased all the studio albums.

Apart from now loving GnR, I am now best friends with the girl who gave me Live Era', which is a huge benefit by itself.

The End

Edited by FunkyMonk

The First thing I heard about GNR was that AXL died, 1987 or 88 which would have sucked if true (just to show you that this is the way GNR has always been - rumor and innuendo) just before they hit huge I didn't know who he was or anything about GNR, withing weeks or months, I had appetite on tape and a fan was born.....

Edited by MYWORLD

Wow, just the kind of topic I was thinking about having as my first post.

Well, the first time I heard Gn´R must have been sometime in the mid 90´s, I thought they were kinda good but I was more into the punk scene and Gn´R weren´t really my kind of music right then.

In 97 I read that Slash left the band, and after that it was silence, I probably didn´t hear a Gn´R song in at least 6-7 years and though the band had split up.

In 04 one of my friends suddenly asked me if I knew if Axl was dead or something, I had no clue and searched the web for some info. I found out that they had a world tour and such, that Axl was the only original member left, and that Chinese Democracy still hadn´t been realesed.

A couple of days after that they had a Gn´R night on VH1 and I were hooked. It was like I heard the music in a new way, and god damn what a great live band!

I got the Ritz 88 show and thought it was the greatest show a band ever played.

I downloaded the Rio 01 gig, the Leeds 02 and a lot of shows from the UYI tour, then I bought AFD, Lies and the UYI cds. I´ll buy the Live Era and the DVD´s someday when I can afford them. Just can´t get enough :P

Soo.. I´ve been hanging around these boards the last 2 years reading rumors, listening to Gn´R and just waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released :P

a friend of mine has once showed off and was saying like "your music style is shit"- and the next some minutes we went to a 'Hard Rock' link in a site he knew and downloaded tones of music including GNR, Iron Maiden, Metallica, alice in chains etc. i loved listening to Eminem and Tupac back then. so one day i wanted to delete all this shit he put in my PC but then i said to myself that it can't harm me- all this 'shitty music' can do is open some doors for me. so i randomly picked an album (UYI 1), randomly picked a song out of it (Dust N' Bones) and started listening. and guess what? you are right- i were hooked as fuck. i was sure that Izzy is the singer- since that was the first song i heard- and i thought he is brilliant. personally, i hate it when people dowlnload things- so i went a copule of miles to buy the famous AFD and the two UYI (it was at 2001).

so the rest of it is pretty obvious- i discovered that axl is the singer and liked him a lot- i saw that they are a GREAT rock band- and never stoped liking them since this wierd incident i once had. (damn that was a long one.)

I had heard Paradise City only... but I've heard of WTTJ but I never could get it becouse I had no idea what band had the song, I called Gn'R the Paradise City band.

and on my 12 year old birthday my friend name Jakob an Guns N' Roses album, there I saw Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle... so I listened to it and then I knew that Guns N' Roses was the right band for me

I started buying music in 1996 and was heavily into britpop at the time, but one day sweet child o' mine came on the radio, i'd never heard it before so i thought it was a new release, went to my local record shop and asked the bloke about it, he told me that he'd never heard of the song and couldn't help me as i didn't know the band's name, i finally got hold of the name guns n roses from the radio about a month later, went to the shop once more, he told me they were some "washed up rock band" and i should go with the times, but i was hooked...

...one month later my birthday arrived, with the money i went straight out and bought appetite, my mum hated it and tried to stop me listening to it, but i couldn't get enough, my dad said they sounded great and was pleased i was getting into "proper music", when me and my dad were out one day he took me into hmv and bought me illusions 1 & 2, i've been a massive fan ever since.

I went and got lies in 97 but I never knew about the speghetti incident until 1999 which was a bit of a choker, when i bought it i thought it was an original, not a cover album.

It was 1993 and I was 7 years old.

Me and some friends had just earned our allowance money which was $2 at the time,and we were on our ways to the store that was a few minutes away.At the time I wasn't even into music period.I listened to what my dad did which was country artists like Hank Williams Jr and rock like Led Zeppelin,but I never "got" it.As we walked behind this appartment building in the neighbourhood,we heard a song being blasted from one of the balcony's.We stopped and I got my friends to be quite for a minute so I could hear what it was I was hearing.I see this guy standing on the balcony,he's wearing a bandanna,long hair,and a backwards hat.We counted how many floors up it was,and how close to the elevators it would be,and went up and knocked on his fucking door.This guy couldn't believe that these 7-8 year old kids wanted to know what it was he was playing.Tunred out it was Paradise City.

We went to the store,and when I got home I told my parents about a band named Guns N' Roses.

Next thing I know I was wearing Guns shirts,bandannas,and had AFD,and Lies.

Since then I've gone on to buy everything Guns related I can.

my friend got the greatest hits album for christmas. i heard scom and paradise city and i said, "Let me borrow your cd". so i put it on my iPod, listen to wttj, scom and pc and then i was hooked. i got AFD for my last birthday and i bought my brother both illusions for christmas.

Kinda early - mid 90's my Mum taped Don't Cry Alt off the radio. I kept listening to it, then 5 years later when tapes all fucked up and CD's come in to play I got the track off Kazaa along with the whole AFD album from iTunes a bit later. Thats when I heard the rest of it. ISE immediately bit me, and has me by the balls ever since.

Edited by Max™

i first got into guns when my mate, brought the greatest hits into school, and i went home and see paradise city on VH2, so wen i went to florida i see the greatest hits and thought why not buy it, and ever since ve been hooked, so id say its been 2 years since i started liking them

rock1

i find it wierd that alot of people in here got to know GNR as a result of hearing the GH. i don't hate the idea behind it- it's just they didn't put millions of hits in there- instead they stuck AIF. WTF??

any way- its nice to know that our stories are quite similar this way or the other.

It was 1993 and I was 7 years old.

Me and some friends had just earned our allowance money which was $2 at the time,and we were on our ways to the store that was a few minutes away.At the time I wasn't even into music period.I listened to what my dad did which was country artists like Hank Williams Jr and rock like Led Zeppelin,but I never "got" it.As we walked behind this appartment building in the neighbourhood,we heard a song being blasted from one of the balcony's.We stopped and I got my friends to be quite for a minute so I could hear what it was I was hearing.I see this guy standing on the balcony,he's wearing a bandanna,long hair,and a backwards hat.We counted how many floors up it was,and how close to the elevators it would be,and went up and knocked on his fucking door.This guy couldn't believe that these 7-8 year old kids wanted to know what it was he was playing.Tunred out it was Paradise City.

We went to the store,and when I got home I told my parents about a band named Guns N' Roses.

Next thing I know I was wearing Guns shirts,bandannas,and had AFD,and Lies.

Since then I've gone on to buy everything Guns related I can.

I like your story. I can imagine it happening.

As for me, I heard them on the radio a lot, but it wasn't until I saw the video of November Rain on TV that I was suddenly interested. Before then I thought they were a new band, so it was way more interesting to see they weren't. I recorded the video and watched it again and again. With some random albums that I really, really want I prefer to buy them from a shop because it feels more special than it arriving through the post. So when I eventually bought Appetite I was really excited, and once I got home I was hooked.

Pretty boring, but of course it was exciting for me.