How did GNR come into your life?

Ultrastar

Back when i was 18 going on 19 i really did not like Rock or Metal music. I liked electronic music, i liked bands like New Order and the Pet Shop Boys. I took on a job and was working with this person who liked Iron Maiden, he wore the t-shirts too, and while i did not like Iron Maiden i did like the many art works of Eddie. Guns N'Roses happend and AFD was released and this Iron Maiden fan was like "you gotta check this out" and played It's So Easy and i was hooked. I'd never heard a band use so many 4 letter words openly. I picked up AFD on tape and played it to bits until it stopped working and then picked it up on CD. Then the television show the Gn'R at the Ritz and in 1993 i went to see Gn'R play live and was impressed :)

Edited by dobadog

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm i allways listened to gnr, my sister (28) make me listen to them... i started with aerosmith in 95 or 96... then, i became a huuuge fan when live era come out... that WTTJ video blow my mind.. then i listened to gnr everyday... so... here i am :)

I remember around 91 or 92..i was about 4...and I remember watching the Terminator 2 movie...and I always like "that rock song" that played when John Conor rode his dirt bike....I also remeber watching videos and hearing "GnR" music on TV...but I never knew the name of the band..then all of a sudden I remember watching the VMA's 2002 and when Jimmy Fallon Said "GUNS N' FUCKING ROSES!!!' my older sister was like NO WAY!!!...and i heard the familiar tunes again...about a year or 2 later..I bought the complete discography...My friend even gave me AFD on Vinyl...it took me about 2 months to learn about GnR's past LOL...I now know almost everything about this band...and yes i like TSI

I remember around 91 or 92..i was about 4...and I remember watching the Terminator 2 movie...and I always like "that rock song" that played when John Conor rode his dirt bike

yeah... that happens to me too rock3

I can't really remember. As far back as I can remember I've always known of some of their songs, the big hits. And considering I was only born in 1985 its possible I really have almost always known them.

But I'd say I've only really been a fan for around 3 years.

When I went off to university I got my own computer for the first time ever and one of the things I put on there was a whole collection of music from my brothers computer.

Including SCOM and November Rain. Both of which very quickly found their way into almost every playlist I created.

Then one day I was in a CD shop and I noticed Live Era. My first thought was 'Hey thats the band who did SCOM', but as I read the track list I realised I loved every single song I recognised.

So I (finally) did the logical thing and bought the CD. I played it as soon as I got home and I think I was hooked by the end on Nightrain. That thing lived in my CD player for weeks.

But the really odd part was that after about a week of reading and re-reading the booklet I decided I really didn't know anything about the band and went online to try and find out about them. Which for me is incredibly rare. I know barely anything about most the bands I'm into and it doesn't bother me. In fact I think GNR is the only band I've ever gone out of my way to find out about. I still don't know why, although their songs definately gave me the idea that there would be a lot worth reading about.

(Although I don't think anything could really have prepared me for just how much there was.)

And now 3 years later I'm still looking for anything GNR related to feed the addiction. :D

pardon me if i stated that im the most fuckin die hard fan of guns n fuckin roses ,i commited to be GNR fan since 1991 it was my junior high times, coz guns n roses music can represented my fuckin mind my fuckin way, sound silly but so fuckin real, they changed my point of view of how to live in this fuckin world a lot and really fucked my teens aged, i ever involved several criminal act n drugs issued coz i was totally influence by them but i realized that was the major consequence follow GNR way, but like what AXL ever said "DO or DIE" and "VICTORY or DIE" , so i never regret took that way coz i have learnt a lot for the successfull that i have today , so sad they broke up but i'm not point my fuckin finger to AXL as the trouble maker , sometimes man need to stand up and fight for what he believe even it's seems imposible, but it's about dignity

I was watching that episode of the Simpsons where Marge's friend plays Welcome to the Jungle in the car and I thought it was fucking cool. Then I watched the November Rain vidio and started buying the albums and I've been hooked ever since!

I remember when I was first getting into music when I was 11 or 12 in 1997. I would see music videos of GNR (just a couple years after they were realesed) and they just came off as so larger that life and amazing. There was nothing like that at the time ( or since for that matter) I was so intrigued by them. I had remembered hearing their name a lot my older cousins being really into them in the early 90's but wasn't into music at the time. I got what all the fuss was about and quickly understood why they were so big.

Edited by mike bibby

Yeah, well I'm really old, so I saw the world premier of Jungle on MTV. Hey, I grew up in NY, we had MTV 1st, I saw it dabiew in the summer of 81, "Video Killed The Radio Star" was the first song they played. They played Motorhead videos back then. They used to beg bands to make videos, that all changed fast. MTV was great once, once. Boy am I old.

I started listening to more classic rock on the radio and i would hear a GNR tune everyone once in a while. But i decided to borrow my friends greatest hits CD. I didnt like many of the songs on the CD but You Could Be Mine and Jungle was what really blew me away. A few months past and i was hearing about how great AFD was on tv and vh1 specials. So i thought it would be cool to pick it up. I did and i listened to the whole CD that night and i couldnt belive how great a single band could be. And now they are my favorite band.

I was watching a show about the rock music of the 70'-80-90'...and than I saw the November rain video...

I saw it before when I was just a little kid but this time iz was something else...it was fucking

incredible....and the next day I asked my friend if I could borrow his GN'R albums...and the rest is history...

now I'm a die hard fan... B)

I was on a field trip with my class and I heard my friend talking about Guns N' Roses and how he liked the song Paradise City...so went I got home I downloaded Paradise City off the internet. But at first I didn't like GN'R...

I had forgotten about them until VH1 had a 100 greatest song countdown and SCOM was #3...I loved the intro so I downloaded it and I loved it. So I began to download other songs and I fell in love.

Actually, November Rain took a few listens for me to enjoy.

I was watching a show about the rock music of the 70'-80-90'...and than I saw the November rain video...

I saw it before when I was just a little kid but this time iz was something else...it was fucking

incredible....and the next day I asked my friend if I could borrow his GN'R albums...and the rest is history...

now I'm a die hard fan... B)

lol

Did your friend ever get his albums back?

Guest cherry_bomb

when i was 14 i think. was my friends birthday and she got AFD from some boy from school, and we listened to it in her room and were like woaaaaaaah theyre bad ass!! we had to turn down rocketqueen and not let her parents know we were listening to it!! she turned into a massive chav though and ditched gnr and i pursued them rock2

Back in the early nineties. I was like 3-4 years old. My sisters listened to them all the time and I was so hooked. I pretended to be Axl, dancing and singing for them. I even made myself a guitar stand by a steering wheel from my toy tractor and a broom and a microphone by a blue plastic thing and som withe foam rubber. My sisters had AFD, UYI 1 and 2 and some live tapes they recorded from MTV that they let me listened to. I remember on my 6th birthday, all my friends wanted to play nintendo while I was trying to put on 'Live In Tokyo 92'. When slash quit I stoped listen to them and got into a trance, rap and hip hop period. But for some years ago I started listen to rock music again and i found AFD and UYI and got hooked again. It brought up some good memories.

I was coaching little league baseball and was driving a car load of kids to a game and one of the kids, Davy Dykes said 'coach, here put this in.'

It was a GNR cassette and Paridise City was the first song I heard.

I went and bought the tape that night.

In 1987 my younger brother gave me a cassette tape of AFD to listen to on our way to a family gathering(Thanksgiving) a 2 hour drive. I listened to the whole thing twice. Been hooked ever since. For those of you who were born in the 90's, cassette tapes were what we listened to back then, years before compact discs and the internet.