Guitar Strings

I bought some A'ddario strings and the high E string fucking broke after like a 3 weeks. The dude said they were good for the price, so I went with it. My cousin said Elixir (something along those lines) are really good. And while we're at it, what's the proper way of putting them on? That might have contributed to them breaking so quickly :monkey:

Oh yeah, I got a Squire Strat (just in case someone wants to help with string replacement)..

:tongue2:

ernie ball are the best i hear

Depends, Accoustic Ernies IMO suck!! they are too stiff and sound warm.

I have an expensive Gibson hummingbird and the sound is too warm and not defined.

So that´s why I use Elexir, they are smoother and give a cooler tone.

As for electric Ernie Ball strings are very good IMHO.

it all boils down to want and what sound you want.

The best thing is to play around, I HATE d´addario or whatever.

I tried them for two weeks and threw them away.

I use Ernies on my Les Paul tho... And didn´t bother to try other strings.

Maybe I will though.

The best way to set it up is to get 3 turns of strin around the tuner needle.

I can upload you a high-res picture.

the spiral should go downwards. and the top turns push it down and give the right sound.

That´s what I learnt from Eric Johnson´s friends tech and a guy who works for PRS.

PIC 1

STRING SETUP PIC 2

i love dean markley's, but ernie ball's kick ass for floyd rose, since you don't have to cut the strings

what do you mean by CUT the strings? :book:

Edited by Millmoor

Thanks for the pics, Millmoor. I don't know if you meant to focus the low E string (if it was you that took the pic), but I was actually looking for the high E. Anyway, let say I put the string through the hole in the tuning peg. I have all this left over string (being that ALL i did was put the end of the string in the hole). Do I wrap the rest of the string around the peg? And if yes, how do I?

Hopefully you get me..

Thanks for the pics, Millmoor. I don't know if you meant to focus the low E string (if it was you that took the pic), but I was actually looking for the high E. Anyway, let say I put the string through the hole in the tuning peg. I have all this left over string (being that ALL i did was put the end of the string in the hole). Do I wrap the rest of the string around the peg? And if yes, how do I?

Hopefully you get me..

cut the remaining bits off with wire cutters

Hopefully you get me..

that I can´t help you with, rule of thumb, 3-4 turns is good on ALL strings. Two is too little.

Three is the best. four is also good. you don´t want TOO much wire on there...

you gotta feel it around... use a pen or a marker to mark the strings and see where where you get 3 turns.

then meassure the strings so you can mark the strings next time so you excactly know where they should start on the peg. If you got problems, get someone to help you, and show you. that´s the best way really

I've tried most brands, and IMO GHS strings are by far the best, longest life and they hold their tone for longer, Ernie Ball's suck IMHO they go dull sounding quickly.

Nothing beats a guage .12 GHS boomers of a good strat :P

Damn right. I usually buy strings in bulk and make my own custom sets. But in a pinch, I always go with GHS. rock1

I've tried most brands, and IMO GHS strings are by far the best, longest life and they hold their tone for longer, Ernie Ball's suck IMHO they go dull sounding quickly.

Nothing beats a guage .12 GHS boomers of a good strat :P

Damn right. I usually buy strings in bulk and make my own custom sets. But in a pinch, I always go with GHS. rock1

ernie ball are the best i hear

Depends, Accoustic Ernies IMO suck!! they are too stiff and sound warm.

I have an expensive Gibson hummingbird and the sound is too warm and not defined.

So that´s why I use Elexir, they are smoother and give a cooler tone.

As for electric Ernie Ball strings are very good IMHO.

it all boils down to want and what sound you want.

The best thing is to play around, I HATE d´addario or whatever.

I tried them for two weeks and threw them away.

I use Ernies on my Les Paul tho... And didn´t bother to try other strings.

Maybe I will though.

The best way to set it up is to get 3 turns of strin around the tuner needle.

I can upload you a high-res picture.

the spiral should go downwards. and the top turns push it down and give the right sound.

That´s what I learnt from Eric Johnson´s friends tech and a guy who works for PRS.

PIC 1

STRING SETUP PIC 2

i love dean markley's, but ernie ball's kick ass for floyd rose, since you don't have to cut the strings

what do you mean by CUT the strings? :book:

on most brands of strings, the coil doesn't go all the way, and since you can't put the uncoiled part in the floyd rose, you have to cut it. with ernie ball, the coil goes all the way.

of course this doesn't matter unless you have a floyd rose.