axl rose / elvis presley

jane

okay i am ready for all the booing and cussing this post might get but just was thinking about this and wondered everybodys opinion. i was trying to figure out if there was any other singers that had what axl has and the only one i can really think of is ELVIS PRESLEY they are so much alike if you really think about it. elvis had fans worshiping and idolizing him. axl has fans worshiping him and idolizing him. even after his death to this day elvis still has fans worshiping and idolizing him. even after this long with no record and him being out of the public axl still has fans worshiping and idolizing him. elvis shaked his hips. axl has the snake dance. elvis in his last days became a recluse to get away from the spotlight and fans hounding him.axl has kept to himself to escape the fans hounding him.there is rumors everywhere about a elvis sighting.there is rumors about axl sightings also. elvis had changes of appearance throughout his carreer.axl has had changes of his appearance also. even though elvis hasnt came out with a new album(because he is dead) and yes i believe he is dead people still buy his records. even though axl hasnt made any new records yet(hopefully soon) he still has fans buying his old records. dont really know why i am posting this but it just popped in my head so i decided to post it. so question for everybody is axl bigger then elvis or is elvis bigger then axl or is axl elvis reincarnated

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but Axl doesn't even come close to the King. No one ever will. Axl may be a legend and an icon. Elvis was his own cultural revolution. As much as I am a fan of Axl, he will never EVER come close to being a fraction of what Elvis was, is, and will always be.

okay i am ready for all the booing and cussing this post might get but just was thinking about this and wondered everybodys opinion. i was trying to figure out if there was any other singers that had what axl has and the only one i can really think of is ELVIS PRESLEY they are so much alike if you really think about it. elvis had fans worshiping and idolizing him. axl has fans worshiping him and idolizing him. even after his death to this day elvis still has fans worshiping and idolizing him. even after this long with no record and him being out of the public axl still has fans worshiping and idolizing him. elvis shaked his hips. axl has the snake dance. elvis in his last days became a recluse to get away from the spotlight and fans hounding him.axl has kept to himself to escape the fans hounding him.there is rumors everywhere about a elvis sighting.there is rumors about axl sightings also. elvis had changes of appearance throughout his carreer.axl has had changes of his appearance also. even though elvis hasnt came out with a new album(because he is dead) and yes i believe he is dead people still buy his records. even though axl hasnt made any new records yet(hopefully soon) he still has fans buying his old records. dont really know why i am posting this but it just popped in my head so i decided to post it. so question for everybody is axl bigger then elvis or is elvis bigger then axl or is axl elvis reincarnated

no one is bigger than the other... just diferent and in diferent time...

but nice to read :book:

I'm sorry, but Axl doesn't even come close to the King. No one ever will. Axl may be a legend and an icon. Elvis was his own cultural revolution. As much as I am a fan of Axl, he will never EVER come close to being a fraction of what Elvis was, is, and will always be.

Eh, I dont know about that. Its only my opinion, but Elvis has the most anoying voice of anybody I have ever heard, not to mention he doesnt really have songs to compete with Coma, November Rain, or any other of the epic ballads Axl has composed. Elvis just seemed very corny to me.

LONG LIVE AXL ROSE

Edited by sweetness

So true. As huge as Axl and GNR were, the Elvis phenomenon was(and actually still is) in a whole different stratosphere. There is no comparison...

i dont know man.

i think Lennon came pretty damn close and if not even surpassed him

axl apparently is just elvis reincarnated as this guy says so its impossible to compare them as its the same guy.

For me Axl is better than Elvis

Firstly because he doesn't steal from other artist like Elvis did

yeah! elvis stealed the dance moves from Forest Gump :fuckyou:

:laugh:

Agustin

Edited by Argentina Roses

For sure I'll take Axl's(GNR's) music over Elvis', though he was great for his time. But as far as recognition/popularity goes, if you could measure both's Q ratings even at the height of GNR's popularity, Elvis would've CRUSHED him or any other singer even though he'd been dead for so many years. And that will never change no matter how long Axl lives and performs.

Even if you can't understand it, it just IS....

Edited by Turn_It_Up

i dont know man.

axl apparently is just elvis reincarnated as this guy says so its impossible to compare them as its the same guy.

When Lennon is the most impersonated person ever, when millions of people a year go to visit Lennon's home, maybe then he will be on he same level as Elvis.

Eh, I dont know about that. Its only my opinion, but Elvis has the most anoying voice of anybody I have ever heard, not to mention he doesnt really have songs to compete with Coma, November Rain, or any other of the epic ballads Axl has composed. Elvis just seemed very corny to me.

LONG LIVE AXL ROSE

WHAT? Are you fucking kidding me. Elvis isnt call'd the "King of Rock n' Roll for nothing. Get outta your head dude. Axl is great, and a lot of people dont even come close to comparison. Pretty much nobody you compare to Axl is gonna be the greater. The King though. He is a fuckin legend. Axl may be a legend as well, but Elvis is higher a top the totem pole.

If you just said that shit to Axl, Im sure that he'd disagree. I know that he'd be in more favore of the "King". What are you thinking typing that?

At least its only your opinion, and I disagree with you. Even if you dont like his voice, nobody can touch him.

What these people say below is completly true.

So true. As huge as Axl and GNR were, the Elvis phenomenon was(and actually still is) in a whole different stratosphere. There is no comparison...

Im not the biggest fan of Elvis, though I like a lot of his tunes. Though, I realize how many generations idolize him, and how big of a impression that he left. Axl is great, and he's leaving a lasting impression, and even though Im a bigger fan of Axl. I still realize that "Elvis" is untouchable in every way.

J.Walker

tunes that were stolen from others who don't get any credit.

i dont know man.

When Lennon is the most impersonated person ever, when millions of people a year go to visit Lennon's home, maybe then he will be on he same level as Elvis.

give it time my friend.......

give it time :drevil:

LONG LIVE AXL ROSE

Had Elvis not existed,.. you wouldn't have those songs..

Some respect, please..

-Kickingthehabit

Yes, Elvis is certainly a bigger culural icon. But at least Axl didn't have to steal music from other artists. Elvis only became the so-called "King of Rock and Roll" from being a liar and a thief.

You'd be surprised..

"Now you don't talk so loud

Now you don't seem so proud" - Bob Dylan

"And you don't talk so loud

And you don't walk so proud" - Axl Rose

Presley broke down all barriers and gave every musician the opportunity to succeed. Tell me, who has been able to mold together rhythm and blues, pop, country, gospel and classical music?

Elvis provided the means that allowed Black artists to have a voice in white America..

"Before Elvis, there was nothing." - John Lennon

"When I first heard Elvis' voice I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss...Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail." - Bob Dylan

"Elvis had an influence on everybody with his musical approach. He broke the ice for all of us." - Al Green

"You have no idea how great he is, really you don’t. You have no comprehension - it’s absolutely impossible. I can’t tell you why he’s so great, but he is. He’s sensational." - Phil Spector

"This boy had everything. He had the looks, the moves, the manager, and the talent. And he didn’t look like Mr. Ed like a lot of the rest of us did. In the way he looked, way he talked, way he acted - he really was different." - Carl Perkins

"I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at Graceland. We sang Old Blind Barnabus together, a gospel song. I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There’ll never be another like that soul brother." - James Brown

"Ask anyone. If it hadn't been for Elvis, I don't know where popular music would be. He was the one that started it all off, and he was definitely the start of it for me." - Elton John

"I remember Elvis as a young man hanging around the Sun studios. Even then, I knew this kid had a tremendous talent. He was a dynamic young boy. His phraseology, his way of looking at a song, was as unique as Sinatra's. I was a tremendous fan, and had Elvis lived, there would have been no end to his inventiveness." - B.B King

These are only a few of the most influential artists of all time..

Listen to 'If I Can Dream'.. nod, and say, 'thank you.'

-Kickingthehabit

calling Elvis a liar and a thief is bullshit. back we he started out there weren't hardly any performers who wrote their own songs. (i.e. Sinatra, Crosby). are they liars and thieves too? he gave credit to the people that wrote the songs. even after he drastically changed the arrangements, tempo, and melody. he had every right to add his name to the writing credits and he didn't. only on "Don't Be Cruel" did his name get added to Otis Blackwell's. those guys made more money off Elvis doing their songs then they could have ever dreamed of.

if you don't like the way Elvis sounds, that your own personal choice. but, attacking the man's integrity is just downright wrong and mean-spirited. if you like rock n' roll music realize the DNA for whatever style you like originated with the King. his combination of R&B, Country and Gospel is what started it all. so for all you "he stole the black man's music" people, it was a combination of all those styles. no one part more important than the other. rather than bash him, you should thank him.

Art

calling Elvis a liar and a thief is bullshit. back we he started out there weren't hardly any performers who wrote their own songs. (i.e. Sinatra, Crosby). are they liars and thieves too? he gave credit to the people that wrote the songs. even after he drastically changed the arrangements, tempo, and melody. he had every right to add his name to the writing credits and he didn't. only on "Don't Be Cruel" did his name get added to Otis Blackwell's. those guys made more money off Elvis doing their songs then they could have ever dreamed of.

if you don't like the way Elvis sounds, that your own personal choice. but, attacking the man's integrity is just downright wrong and mean-spirited. if you like rock n' roll music realize the DNA for whatever style you like originated with the King. his combination of R&B, Country and Gospel is what started it all. so for all you "he stole the black man's music" people, it was a combination of all those styles. no one part more important than the other. rather than bash him, you should thank him.

Art

Amen brother! rock1

Couldn't of said it better myself. It doesn't matter if you like Elvis or not, he was a necessary link in the evolution of modern rock as we know. W/O him and what he did for music, we can only guess how things would have evolved.

He is, quite simply put, the King. Always was, always will be.

Yes, Elvis is certainly a bigger culural icon. But at least Axl didn't have to steal music from other artists. Elvis only became the so-called "King of Rock and Roll" from being a liar and a thief.

Never thought I'd reply to another one of this know-it-all's nit-witted posts. If you are so ignorant to even remotely comprehend what Elvis means to the music world, well, it's just another example of how ridiculously ignorant and narrow-viewed you really are.

You like to talk about liars and thiefs?

Knockin On Heavens Door

Sympathy for the Devil

Dust in the Wind

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Live and Let Die

The Godfather Theme

Mama Kin

Dead Flowers

Wild Horses

Voodo Chili (Hendrix)

HEARTBREAK HOTEL (Elvis)

Whole Lotta Rosie

THE ENTIRE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT ALBUM

And more. Truth is, GNR relied on covers to get off the ground... just like most artist that start out in clubs. Elvis produced countless hundreds of original songs, dozens of which were number 1 songs. GNR has NEVER had a #1 hit. You have the fucking nerve to be completely ignorant of that fact? Furthermore, you're stupid enough not to realize GNR, in comparison to their original material vs. what Elvis put out during his career, has a higer percentage of using covers than Elvis does?

Axl doesn't even measure up to one of Elvis' toe nail clippings. Axl himself would probably agree.

At the root of ignorance is stupidity. Case-in-point.

Art

Amen brother! rock1

i can always count on you to help the Elvis cause!!!! :)

Never thought I'd reply to another one of this know-it-all's nit-witted posts. If you are so ignorant to even remotely comprehend what Elvis means to the music world, well, it's just another example of how ridiculously ignorant and narrow-viewed you really are.

You like to talk about liars and thiefs?

Knockin On Heavens Door

Sympathy for the Devil

Dust in the Wind

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Live and Let Die

The Godfather Theme

Mama Kin

Dead Flowers

Wild Horses

Voodo Chili (Hendrix)

HEARTBREAK HOTEL (Elvis)

Whole Lotta Rosie

THE ENTIRE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT ALBUM

And more. Truth is, GNR relied on covers to get off the ground... just like most artist that start out in clubs. Elvis produced countless hundreds of original songs, dozens of which were number 1 songs. GNR has NEVER had a #1 hit. You have the fucking nerve to be completely ignorant of that fact? Furthermore, you're stupid enough not to realize GNR, in comparison to their original material vs. what Elvis put out during his career, has a higer percentage of using covers than Elvis does?

Axl doesn't even measure up to one of Elvis' toe nail clippings. Axl himself would probably agree.

At the root of ignorance is stupidity. Case-in-point.

First, SCOM hit #1. It spent 3 weeks at number one in 1988.

Second of all, I never said Elvis wasn't important. I said he was a much bigger cultural icon than Axl, no doubt about it.

I don't claim to be an Elvis fan, so yea, maybe I was given incorrect info about him. Yet you claim to be a HUGE GNR fan but yet couldn't even name the one song that went to number one?

Edited by luvaxl4ever