Chorus line "One in a Million"

sixtus

beside the old discussions about the lyrics...does anyone know who the hell axl means with the chorus..

"maybe someday we'll see you..before you make us cry..ya know we try to reach you..but you're much too hide..."

who is the "shooting star, the one in a million" ? !

Edited by sixtus

I think you mean "much too high" rather than "hide". Anyway, here's what Axl said about the chorus:

"One in a Million" was written while sitting in the apartment of my friend West Arkeen, who's like the sixth member of the band. I wrote it at his house, sitting around bored watching TV. I can't really play guitar too well, I only play the top two strings, and I would write a little piece at a time. I started writing about wanting to get out of L.A. , getting away for a little while. I'd been down to the downtown-L.A. Greyhound bus station. If you haven't been there, you can't say shit to me about what goes on and about my point of view. There are a large number of black men selling stolen jewelry, crack, heroin and pot, and most of the drugs are bogus. Rip-off artists selling parking spaces to parking lots that there's no charge for. Trying to misguide every kid that gets off the bus and doesn't quite know where he's at or where to go, trying to take the person for whatever they've got. That's how I hit town. The thing with "One in a Million" is, basically, we're all one in a million, we're all here on this earth. We're one fish in a sea. Let's quit fucking with each other, fucking with me." - Axl Rose, Rolling Stone 1989

Or there's this version, not to far from what he said in RS:

"....then later on the chorus came about because I was like getting really far away, like ‘Rocket man’, Elton John. I was thinking about my friends and family in Indiana, and I realized those people have no concept of who I am anymore. Even the ones I was close to. Since then I’ve flown people out here, had’em hang out here, I’ve paid for everything. But there was no joy in it for them. I was smashin’ shit, going fuckin’ crazy. And yet, trying to work. And they were going, « Man, I don’t wanna be a rocker any more, not if you go through this ». But at the same time, I brought’em out, you know, and we just hung out for a couple of months - wrote songs together, had serious talks, it was almost like bein’ on acid cos we’d talk about the family and life and stuff, and we’d get really heavy and get to know each all over again. It’s hard to try and replace eight years of knowing each other every day, and then all of a sudden I’m in this new world. Back there I was a street kid with a skateboard and no money dreamin’ ‘bout being in a rock band, and now all of a sudden I’m here. And it’s weird for them to see their friends putting up Axl posters, you know? And it’s weird for me too. So anyway, all of a sudden I came up with this chorus « You’re one in a million », you know, and « we tried to reach you but you were much too high ...." - Axl Rose, Kerrang, 1990

Edited by MetaSouL

beside the old discussions about the lyrics...does anyone know who the hell axl means with the chorus..

"maybe someday we'll see you..before you make us cry..ya know we try to reach you..but you're much too hide..."

I thought he said much too HIGH, its not hide.

:) meta..thank you very much..that make things much more clerarer for me now..

and i do agree with Q....i really love and like the song..one of their best tracks ever!... thats also why

i started this topic...

what i am surprised: axl and a skateboard? :) :) i guess it was just a phrase...:)

Edited by sixtus

and i do agree with Q....i really love and like the song..one of their best tracks ever!... thats also why

i started this topic...

what i am surprised: axl and a skateboard? :) :) i guess it was just a phrase...:)

Axl and Izzy both used to skateboard. A few pics of Izzy exist, one in which he is skating. Axl is seen in one picture with a board, but none of him skating exist, as far as I know.

yeah I think so too

yeah I think so too

yeah..of course he sang "much to high"..i looked in the lyrics afterwards..to be honest i always thought he sang "much too hide"..thats why i was wondering who he meant :)

i started this topic...

Axl and Izzy both used to skateboard. A few pics of Izzy exist, one in which he is skating. Axl is seen in one picture with a board, but none of him skating exist, as far as I know.

really?? i didn't know that..i would really like to see a pictue with axl even just holding a skateboard..do you have it perhaps? :rolleyes:

i started this topic...

really?? i didn't know that..i would really like to see a pictue with axl even just holding a skateboard..do you have it perhaps? :rolleyes:

Yeah hold on....

http://www.rnb.hpg.ig.com.br/axlgrn4.jpg

Sorry so small. A bigger one exists, I have it, but have no way to upload it.

And Izzy actually skating

http://www.annagnr.com/images/izzy%20skate01.jpg

I thought that was cool. I wonder how good they were?... Maybe Chef knows. :chef:

AR, AC

Edited by AxlRocks

i started this topic...

Yeah hold on....

http://www.rnb.hpg.ig.com.br/axlgrn4.jpg

Sorry so small. A bigger one exists, I have it, but have no way to upload it.

And Izzy actually skating

http://www.annagnr.com/images/izzy%20skate01.jpg

I thought that was cool. I wonder how good they were?... Maybe Chef knows. :chef:

AR, AC

ohhhh thx!! if someone has told me yesterday that axl skated in his old days...i could'nt believe it :)

Edited by sixtus