Is Slash Trying To Get Axl's Attention To Talk?

madison

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect a couple of things are motivating him.

Here are my top 5 reasons why Slash is "promoting the release":

1. Closure. Guns N' Roses was his life and since he left, CD has yet to be released. Now that it's close, he's excited to hear the results. (He needs it to be out there.)

2. 2007. 20 year anniversary of Appetite. He'd like to cash-in with a reunion tour and never have to think about money again. CD is an impediment. Release of CD gives him the opportunity to congratulate Axl and begin a new and constructive dialogue. (He benefits from having CD out there.)

3. Detox. He's probably not as loaded as he once was (dope and anger). He probably can't remember the stuff that made him angry. He's had a measure of success with Velvet Revolver (plus he's got a family) and now feels comfortable enough to just be supportive. The venom is gone. I think VR helped that. (He's decided to support his old buddy.)

4. Genuine interest. He sees this as strictly the work of Axl and wants to hear the product. Artists like to hear other artist's work. This piece has particular meaning to him and he's not hiding it. (He wants to hear it as much as we do. It's well beyond rivalry at this point.)

5. Favor. Maybe Slash has been told that Axl is afraid of his criticism. By repeatedly loosening his attitude, maybe it's intended to make Axl feel comfortable enough to release it. Maybe Slash is being paid by Axl's label to say these things. :) Maybe his lawyers and/or management have advised him to repeatedly speak kindly. (It helps someone's cause somehow.)

Who knows.

My opinion: No conversation between Slash and Axl will happen before the release——no matter what Slash says.

I think you are reading too much into it as always, and I'm surprised a mod started this thread....

And - as usual - you missed the entire point of my thread. :monkey:

My point was NOT that Slash made the comment once -- it was that Slash keeps promoting the release of Axl's album in multiple interviews.

As I mentioned - if you had taken the time to read my post fully instead of rushing into childish "attack" mode - it was easy to see how he made the comment the first time. We all heard the interview and heard how it unfolded.

However - my point - is that he continues to talk about the album's release date - an album that has nothing to do with VR - in multiple interviews since then - even after Axl made his party comments. If you think this is a coincidence, then so be it. I find it odd myself. That's why I started the thread.

How was my post a personal attack? I was just saying that he keeps saying it because he keeps being asked the questions about Axl and about Guns. He answers with what he knows at that time. It is blatantly obvious from his words that he hasn't spoken to Axl himself, but to a very trustworthy inside source.

There is absolutely no reason to suggest that Slash has any other motive. If he wanted Axl to receive a message he could go through the official channels, as obviously happens with regards to the law suit delays anyway.

There is absolutely no reason to suggest that Slash has any other motive.

This is wrong. Slash and everybody know that the album won't be released in March.

So why does he continue saying that in the media ?

Perhaps that is what someone he trusts told him, like he said?

Did someone ask Merck about it?

I could try to mail Slash... maybe he agrees to tell us, why he is supporting Axl so much now ;)

I seriously don't think that we'll see CD out in march, maybe around summer time, but not in spring!

There would have been some kind of statement or promo action.

If slash really wanted to get in touch with Axl, he could send a message to him through people they both know. They were able to get in touch through their lawyers to get the "live era" cd done, so he could send a message that he was ready to talk by those means.

My impression of this is that he's trying to create a negative impression of CD and Axl in the public perception. By talking up the march release date which doesn't exist, he's creating an expectation that the album will be released. When the album doesn't arrive in march, then people will think "axl rose has screwed up and can't get the album done."

I find it really bizarre that Slash keeps making comments about CD's release date. I mean, it's one thing for him to mention it in one interview - where he casually commented that he'd heard it would be released in March. But - for him to continue making this comment in multiple interviews - even after Axl's party statements - seems really strange. :blink:

Does anyone else think - perhaps - Slash is trying to get Axl's attention so that Axl will pick up the phone and talk to him? I honestly can't think of any other logical reason Slash would continue promoting the release of Axl's album. And Slash's comments - where he's letting GNR fans know first about the release - would certainly get Axl's attention.

Your thoughts?

Well, it def would be great if this was the case. But assuming that this is the goal, Slash is trying to reach, is most probably wishful thinking.

hmm that does make sense. but i cant really see slash being the type of person to do that, if he wanted to speak to axl wouldnt he just do it?

Maybe he's tried, and Axl didn't respond. (Remember when Axl didn't answer the door when Izzy came knocking a few years ago?). Or maybe it would be too awkward with all the lawsuits.

I think this may also have been the reason Slash showed up in Las Vegas years ago. While I initially thought he did that disrupt Axl's show -- I'm now starting to think he did that to try to mend fences with Axl. But - who knows. *shrugs*

Maybe he is being verbally supportive in hopes of an out-of-court settlement for the upcoming lawsuit in May.

...or for the conspiracy theorists, maybe Slash has replaced all of Buckethead's parts on the album and they've been able to successfully keep it hush-hush, saving the hype for release day.

Third scenario...maybe people can't stop asking Slash GNR questions so he figures he'll beat them to the punch whenever he is interviewed.

which lawsuit in may?

he said march..not mentioned a year B)

Edited by sixtus

hmm that does make sense. but i cant really see slash being the type of person to do that, if he wanted to speak to axl wouldnt he just do it?

Maybe he's tried, and Axl didn't respond. (Remember when Axl didn't answer the door when Izzy came knocking a few years ago?). Or maybe it would be too awkward with all the lawsuits.

I think this may also have been the reason Slash showed up in Las Vegas years ago. While I initially thought he did that disrupt Axl's show -- I'm now starting to think he did that to try to mend fences with Axl. But - who knows. *shrugs*

I disagree.

I think he went to the show out of curiosity. If you're in a band that conquers the world for almost a decade, you develop some sort of attachment to it. I think he wanted to see what Axl could do with the new Guns -- not to join up or to disrupt the show -- just to see what it was all about.

As for the radio comments -- I think it's genuine enthusiasm for the release of Chinese Democracy. Guns N' Roses will still have a place in Slash's heart, and he's most likely eager for them to succeed. Hearing a release date for the album has probably gotten him excited.

Most interviews with Slash involve a GN'R question - It's possible he got another one and that brought him to the topic of CD.

Maybe he is being verbally supportive in hopes of an out-of-court settlement for the upcoming lawsuit in May.

...or for the conspiracy theorists, maybe Slash has replaced all of Buckethead's parts on the album and they've been able to successfully keep it hush-hush, saving the hype for release day.

Third scenario...maybe people can't stop asking Slash GNR questions so he figures he'll beat them to the punch whenever he is interviewed.

which lawsuit in may?

he said march..not mentioned a year B)

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61210

If slash really wanted to get in touch with Axl, he could send a message to him through people they both know. They were able to get in touch through their lawyers to get the "live era" cd done, so he could send a message that he was ready to talk by those means.

My impression of this is that he's trying to create a negative impression of CD and Axl in the public perception. By talking up the march release date which doesn't exist, he's creating an expectation that the album will be released. When the album doesn't arrive in march, then people will think "axl rose has screwed up and can't get the album done."

No...that wouldn't work because it's really simple for Geffen and Sanctuary to issue a release saying the album won't be out in March. And that would just end up making Slash look bad, as if he made up the date.

The fact that we haven't gotten a denial yet out of Geffen/Sanctuary could be telling.

what would you think if you were Slash if the phone were ringing, and you (slash) answer the phone and get something like this... "hey Slash, this is me, Axl... just calling to say hi." or something like this, after he haven't speak to him for 10 years?

but what is so horrible to talk to a guy that used to be a band member of his band? I can't see the reason why Slash doesn't just call Axl, not try to get him to call him...

I think you are reading too much into it as always, and I'm surprised a mod started this thread....

And - as usual - you missed the entire point of my thread. :monkey:

My point was NOT that Slash made the comment once -- it was that Slash keeps promoting the release of Axl's album in multiple interviews.

As I mentioned - if you had taken the time to read my post fully instead of rushing into childish "attack" mode - it was easy to see how he made the comment the first time. We all heard the interview and heard how it unfolded.

However - my point - is that he continues to talk about the album's release date - an album that has nothing to do with VR - in multiple interviews since then - even after Axl made his party comments. If you think this is a coincidence, then so be it. I find it odd myself. That's why I started the thread.

Regardless of what each of us think, this really is the core question - "why?"... Like you said, Slash has nothing to do with Axl or GNR at this point in time. With consecutive mentions in support of Axl and Chinese Democracy, it does beg the question as to what are his motives for speaking about it. Sure, it boils down to speculation on our part, but there must be a least one single motivating factor that compels Slash to speak about Chinese Democracy in such intimate details (relative to our "standard" info flow).

But we may never know, is he showing support of Axl to soften the lawsuit, to mend fences, for quid pro quo publicity, to make himself look like the "nice" guy so that fans side with VR over GNR, we just don't know, it could be any one of these things or something entirely different.

I think I agree with busngabb. It isn't likely there's a big conspiracy happening here, and the simplest explanation is probably the correct one. Someone in the know mentions the date to Slash, Slash is asked about GN'R, Slash talks. He's always been one to talk.

But you raise a good point...why is Slash speaking about it, specifically why spill the beans about a release date? He has to know that GN'R don't want to tell us a release date yet (otherwise they would have). Usually, in a case like this, a guy wouldn't get that specific. He would issue a "no comment" or just say he doesn't know but he's looking forward to it. So, to say it's all because a DJ asked him is not enough. Slash is making a concious decision to get into specifics and give us his opinion of Axl and his album.

Why is indeed the question. But, as you say, for now we can only guess at the answer.

This is just my perspective, but VR's new CD is due in March, and Slash has said GN'Rs is due in March too. Which, is why the courtcase was postponed. I think they are going to be giving each other a lot of publicity, and just sort out the money issues without making enemies of each other, and I hope, this is the biggest part of speculation on my part, to start a joint world tour, and perhaps think about a reunion

A joint worldtour, hmmm that would be funny. Knowing that VR is playing old GNR songs makes it even more funny.

I think a joint world tour is out of the question

mr.Q

I agree, that would be strange.

But as much as I want a GNR reunion, what about Matt and Dave from VR? Slash, Duff, and Sorum wouldnt just ditch them.