Aging Guitars

When the father of Aging Tom Murphy was asked if it was pure comsmetics or if it did enhance the playability he answered:

"The patina is softer and I do expose the finish to some processes that possibly help the lacquer to cure faster. But I can't say that the aging process physically adds to functionality of the guitar. On the other hand I think that psychologically, people feel like the guitar performs more like a vintage instrument because it looks like a vintage instrument. These instruments are made for people who understand and appreciate a vintage instrument and the era it represents. A nice, new shiny guitar just doesn't do it for a lot of these people. Our intent is not to replace the vintage market or vintage guitars. Those instruments will always have prospective buyers. Gibson and I are simply trying to capture the spirit of the vintage guitar, and provide a product that's fun for people to own and play."

Today I met someone who told me that when you aged a guitar, process started by tom murphy but that the beatles were the first to start doing it, the guitar lost the "plastic" sound, that sometimes all the paint would make it sound more shiny, and that by taking some of it off, you could get a more "raw" sound. What do you guys think? Worth it or Not?

srv_75.jpeg

Like i said in that other thread, almost all guitars now days use a plastic based clear finish, while this is a great finish in terms of protecting the guitar as it is very hard, many believe it suffocates the tone. back in the 50's, 60's and 70's they finished guitars with nitro which is much thinner and not as strong but many believe it lets the guitar resonate much better. Thats why guitars like SRV's No 1 Strat (best guitar ever) and Rory Galligers Strat were so worn down and beaten because they were finished with nitro, a plastic finished one would never wear down that much.

I'm certainly going to finish my guitar in nitro.

If you want to age your guitar mate, go ahead, i know for certain it wont make your guitar sound worse, and might even "open" up the sound a bit more. Not only that, if makes it look bloody cool.

If you want to age your guitar mate, go ahead, i know for certain it wont make your guitar sound worse, and might even "open" up the sound a bit more. Not only that, if makes it look bloody cool.

sound advice,

I had the pleasure of playing a '65 Black Beauty recently, and the feel and sound are nothing like the newer Gibsons.

Artificially aging an axe is just dumb. It's for players who want people think that they play all day long and have a vintage instrument. If you want an aged axe, PLAY IT!

Good luck in aging a guitar that has a plastic based finish by playing it.