Gilmour or hendrix?

damian 1200

Gilmour or hendrix?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I didn't mean that Clapton and Guy invented the blues by any means. I think we can all agree that if any on eman gets credit for that, it's the original delta bluesman Robert Johnson. I was merely pointing out that just as Hendrix has influenced people, he was nothing without his influences, etc etc. Angel and Wind Cries are both good, but you aint heard TWCM until you've heard it done by an instrumental jazz band. Hendrix invented noisemaking, and I'll give him credit for that, but I don't think that makes him better than musicians the likes of Eric Clapton, SRVaughan, BB King, Buddy Guy, Muddy Watters, Howlin' Wolf, T-Bone, Paul Butterfield, need I go on?

As far as his influence: yes he was influential, but I wouldn't say the most. I would even put Tony Iommi over him purely on influence: Tony Iommi losing his fingertips didn't only open the door to influence existing genres as Hendrix did, but it created a genre. Ever heard of a little thing called heavy metal?

Hendrix was great, but hardly the greatest ever by any stretch. Every time I hear that thrown out there, I just don't get it even more. There have been so many better than him.

Most of that is opinion that I can't counter, with one exception. Robert Johnson was not an original, just greater than most. And also, ask Iommi about Hendrix and see what he says.

It's not like Hendrix invented the blues, dude. Were it not for Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, and the like, Hendrix would never have been shit. As for Hendrix being the basis of everything Stevie played, once again Hendrix would have had to invent the blues. He simply did not do that.

You want to hear why I think Stevie is better than Jimi? Listen to Stevie's covers of Little Wing and Voodoo Child. Shows you what Hendrix could have been if he had been musical instead of making noise.

If you think the blues started with Eric Clapton, or even Buddy Guy for that matter, it goes to show you know close to nothing about the blues or rock. Before Hendrix came around, everyone (including Clapton) was pretty much just mirroring Chicago Blues and not bringing it in any other kind of direction. As for Buddy Guy, he was part of a younger generation of Chicago bluesmen influenced by the likes of T-Bone Walker and Guitar Slim. You are also short-changing SRV in calling him pure blues, there was more to his sound, as evidenced by "Crossfire" and other more commercial material.

You claim that Hendrix did not invent the blues, and you are right, but Clapton did? No no and no.

Hendrix wasn't musical? Listen to his compositions, "Angel", "Bold as Love", "The Wind Cries Mary", these were great songs. Also, to cover the making noise aspect, he did invent that and deserves some credit for it.

Jimi Hendrix brought the blues in another direction that had been yet unexplored, he was the first true rock guitar virtuoso and the whole of 70's rock was influenced by his playing.

To SRV's credit, he was the first modern guitarist to play the blues in a way that reflected Hendrix's virtuosity and intensity, and at times did perform Jimi's songs better than the originals. But would those songs have existed if it weren't for Hendrix's writing them, and in turn breaking down barriers that made that sort of material possible? No.

Hendrix remains the most important and influential guitarist of all time, closely followed by the likes of Charlie Christian and Robert Johnson.

That was beautiful dood. Great post... Cleaned him up...

I've always been able to appreciate gilmour's playing much more, i think he plays with much more soul... His guitar work is amazing ;) But hendrix is still fucking awsome, actually hendrix is better than gilmour, but i still like gilmour better ;)

It's not like Hendrix invented the blues, dude. Were it not for Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, and the like, Hendrix would never have been shit. As for Hendrix being the basis of everything Stevie played, once again Hendrix would have had to invent the blues. He simply did not do that.

You want to hear why I think Stevie is better than Jimi? Listen to Stevie's covers of Little Wing and Voodoo Child. Shows you what Hendrix could have been if he had been musical instead of making noise.

If you think the blues started with Eric Clapton, or even Buddy Guy for that matter, it goes to show you know close to nothing about the blues or rock. Before Hendrix came around, everyone (including Clapton) was pretty much just mirroring Chicago Blues and not bringing it in any other kind of direction. As for Buddy Guy, he was part of a younger generation of Chicago bluesmen influenced by the likes of T-Bone Walker and Guitar Slim. You are also short-changing SRV in calling him pure blues, there was more to his sound, as evidenced by "Crossfire" and other more commercial material.

You claim that Hendrix did not invent the blues, and you are right, but Clapton did? No no and no.

Hendrix wasn't musical? Listen to his compositions, "Angel", "Bold as Love", "The Wind Cries Mary", these were great songs. Also, to cover the making noise aspect, he did invent that and deserves some credit for it.

Jimi Hendrix brought the blues in another direction that had been yet unexplored, he was the first true rock guitar virtuoso and the whole of 70's rock was influenced by his playing.

To SRV's credit, he was the first modern guitarist to play the blues in a way that reflected Hendrix's virtuosity and intensity, and at times did perform Jimi's songs better than the originals. But would those songs have existed if it weren't for Hendrix's writing them, and in turn breaking down barriers that made that sort of material possible? No.

Hendrix remains the most important and influential guitarist of all time, closely followed by the likes of Charlie Christian and Robert Johnson.

That was beautiful dood. Great post... Cleaned him up...

Did you miss the part where I then defended my oppinions, genius?

Completely agreed. I think it was Clapton and Beck who went to a Hendrix show in London back in the 60's, and after the show Clapton said to Beck "You know.. what are we going to start doing now?" :P

Whoa, ok, i know im not to shabby at guitar but hey, 2nd most influentual guitarist of all time i'm certainly not!

:lol:

Completely agreed. I think it was Clapton and Beck who went to a Hendrix show in London back in the 60's, and after the show Clapton said to Beck "You know.. what are we going to start doing now?" :P

I believe it was Eric Clapton alone, at first, but he floored it over to Pete Townshend's house and said "you have to hear this, he's going to put us all out of business."