What Makes A Great Guitarist?

swlabr

Although a certain amount of technical skill is needed to play guitar, I think that emotion is definately a greater factor than that. If you can play the fastest solo in the world, I give you mad props. But their music is nothing if it can't touch you or make the hair on your arm stand up. That's why I think that some of the best guitarists are Blues players. Hubert Sumlin, B.B King, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Eric Clapton just to name a few. So yeah, what's more important, technical skills or emotion?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great guitarist for me is a guitarist who's playing affects me in a way that makes me feel good. I can't tell you what's more important for me, skill or emotions...

my favourite guitarists are:

1.Slash

2.Brian May

3.Dave Gilmour

4.Buckethead (his slow stuff)

I'm talking about soli here.

I believe that every list of the greatest guitarists has Hendrix on Number 1, so i guess emotion, though some can grab a guitar and play random chords and say its pure emotion and just be posers, so there has to be atleast a very good level in skills to be called a good guitarist, or else we get people like cobain being called "great guitarists"

Edited by Me Scandar

Skill without emotion sounds like shit *cough-buckethead-cough*

Emotion without too much skill can still be great.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. our survey says no.

you can keep taking shots like that all you want but at the end of the day, you just look a bit daft to anyone who knows what they're on about.

if emotion means playing slow wah filled blues licks REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and pulling a face like you're having a wank then have a listen to 'Population Override' by Buckethead if you keep seeing him as some sort of Techno Shredder.

The guy's got skill and soul, you dont keep putting out records like he does without some inch of soul and emotion.

on topic - both can make a good guitarist, who ever made the rule that emotion = reverb and wah, needs to be hit, hard.

That's why I think that some of the best guitarists are Blues players. Hubert Sumlin, B.B King, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Eric Clapton just to name a few.

Zoot Horn Rollo!

I tried his site to listen to a few clips, but my speakers don't work. Is he any good? With a name like that, he sounds like a joke :P

That's why I think that some of the best guitarists are Blues players. Hubert Sumlin, B.B King, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Eric Clapton just to name a few.

Zoot Horn Rollo!

I tried his site to listen to a few clips, but my speakers don't work. Is he any good? With a name like that, he sounds like a joke :P

He's the most recognised guitarist from the Magic Band, that played with Captain Beefheart during his more avante-garde stuff. NOt my favourite era of Beef but he's a great guitarist.

Oh God, not this shit again.

What is emotion anyway? And what is skill? How do you know if the guitarist is putting emotion into his playing? Creating cool melodies is part of having skill, isn't it?

And I don't give a damn as long as I am comfortable listening to it, and it's good.

I don't usually post like this, but I'm sick of emotion vs skill.

There are two kinds of things ... Good things and bad things. Kind of quoting Elvis Presley there.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Oh God, not this shit again.

What is emotion anyway? And what is skill? How do you know if the guitarist is putting emotion into his playing? Creating cool melodies is part of having skill, isn't it?

And I don't give a damn as long as I am comfortable listening to it, and it's good.

I don't usually post like this, but I'm sick of emotion vs skill.

There are two kinds of things ... Good things and bad things. Kind of quoting Elvis Presley there.

Amen Yami. Here's what makes a great guitarist,

A great guitarist.

Skill without emotion sounds like shit *cough-buckethead-cough*

Emotion without too much skill can still be great.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. our survey says no.

you can keep taking shots like that all you want but at the end of the day, you just look a bit daft to anyone who knows what they're on about.

if emotion means playing slow wah filled blues licks REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and pulling a face like you're having a wank then have a listen to 'Population Override' by Buckethead if you keep seeing him as some sort of Techno Shredder.

The guy's got skill and soul, you dont keep putting out records like he does without some inch of soul and emotion.

on topic - both can make a good guitarist, who ever made the rule that emotion = reverb and wah, needs to be hit, hard.

I agree - I downloaded a little of his solo stuff, and it's not all shredding and computer noises.

Anyway, I think both are important.

Obviously both, although if you aren't that skilled, you won't be remembered. Having a great technique and technical ability is the best. My top 5 or so guitarists would be something along the lines of:

1) = Slash

= Buckethead

2)Richie Sambora

3)R.Finck

4)Wes Borland

5)Hammett or May

Now that's a mixture of emotion and skill. Listening, probably skill, but watching the video, I want emotion.