If Chinese Democracy comes out and is a hit...

adnan

When you mentioned Backstreet Boys, Brittney, and Eminem. I thought you were JOKING!!!! :shocked:

:rofl-lol:

No man - I was being serious. Think about the number of Backstreet Boys clones that were out there in the late 90's. The B-boys brought boy bands back into the mainstream. They sold well, and the floodgates opened for bands like Westlife, N*Sync (hehe, Richard), 98 Degrees, 5ive etc.

Then you had Spice Girls and the girl groups back in fashion as well.

Britney was huge and Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey etc all hit the charts bigtime following her success.

Eminem, i'm not as sure about -- I probably threw his name in too quickly, as i'm pretty young and haven't followed music trends for as long as many others here will have. Would anyone else suggest whether or not he brought pop-rap into fashion? I'm talking guys like 50 Cent, G-Unit etc.

See what I mean? There will always be breakthrough artists and bands that follow. Rock's had somewhat of a revival -- but it's not ready for a full scale comeback. Chinese Democracy won't be the album to do it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and what happens if it does break through to the mainstream. All the teenie boppers will start liking it because its popular music now....you would just be swapping them over from shallowly likeing rap and dance etc to liking GnR and other rock music that would also burst into the mainstream....sure Axl and Co would make heaps more money and so would lots of other bands, but is that really worth it to see people who know nothing about good music spoiling rock music by thinking they like something that they only like because its popular.

If that made sense to anyone but me....but yeah i certainly wouldnt want that to happen.

Hey yall. im pretty new to this site. can someone tell me how to put a picture on a message like the one you're reading. anyway. A friend recently gave me 8 tacks from chinese democracy. it featured oh my god, chinese democracy, better, there was a time, the blues, madagascar and 2 instrumental tracks (one which would have been more at home on a limp bizkit, POD or motorhead album, and the other was a 5 minute long guitar solo version of 'over the rainbow'). Oh yeah, there was also track about drugs in which axl puts on a deep voice in an attempt to be found funny. But it wasnt. i find velvet revolver (slash,duff,matt sorum's band), addlers appetite(steven addler's band), j t longoria (izzy's band) and brides of destruction (tracii guns band) are better than anything axl has to offer. sorry axl.

Hey 'appetiteforillusion'.

The only 'real' New Guns N' Roses tracks are "The Blues", "Madagascar", "IRS", "Oh My God", "Rhiad and the Bedouins" and "Silkworms".

The other tracks you listed are mislabels.

Go here to see how to post a picture.

Make sure you read the forum rules before posting.

(Also, try to keep threads on topic) ;)

Back on topic everyone...

Remember in 1987 when all that pop/rock and dance shit was really popular then AFD came out and got down and dirty rock n' roll back into the charts...

I had a dream last night that when Chinese Democracy came out we got to see more of Axl on TV than Usher. And that gnr type music was popular again and emo music sold less, and rock n' roll got off the knife and back on the drugs.

And R&B got its ass kicked.

Yeah, high hopes I know. But what if we see tonnes of GnR videos on MTV all of a sudden?

The record being released and successful and garnering Axl a respectable comeback is the best case scenario. A 44 year old man is not going to be the toast of MTV. It's not going to suddenly be 1987 or 1991 again.

Remember in 1987 when all that pop/rock and dance shit was really popular then AFD came out and got down and dirty rock n' roll back into the charts...

I had a dream last night that when Chinese Democracy came out we got to see more of Axl on TV than Usher. And that gnr type music was popular again and emo music sold less, and rock n' roll got off the knife and back on the drugs.

Yeah, high hopes I know. But what if we see tonnes of GnR videos on MTV all of a sudden?

There is too much R&B on tv right now... There has to be more rock on MTV!! I hope Axl can save us :P

I don't think it will change music, but it will bring rock back into the scenes and that is what the music world needs because it's too influenced by rap and RnB.

And also I think it's going to be awesome seeing Guns n Roses on the charts again when it goes to number 1 and I'm sure it will.

i dont really see why nirvanas veiwed as such a great revolutionary band.

what came after them?

nothing, they were really the last decent origial band out there.

they didnt really start anything as far as i see.

Thats funny. I hate Nirvana, and think theyre highly overrated, but I can see the huge impact they had on the music world. Rock was never the same after Nevermind exploded on the scene, and rock still hasn't recovered from the grunge movement. Not only did it destroy "hair" metal, it also killed other metal movements like 'speed' metal that were slowly starting to go mainstream at that time, and by killing metal, the grunge movement made it easier for Rap/hip hop to grab the mainstream and not let go. It would take a monster album to bring the rock world even remotely close to where it was pre-grunge, and I dont think its likely to happen with CD. Only a new band no one has ever heard of yet could pull that off.

It's didn't kill Metal,

Metallica were much bigger in the 90's than they were in the 80's, hell dude, Metallica were proberly the biggest band of the 90's.

what came after them?

Thats funny. I hate Nirvana, and think theyre highly overrated, but I can see the huge impact they had on the music world. Rock was never the same after Nevermind exploded on the scene, and rock still hasn't recovered from the grunge movement. Not only did it destroy "hair" metal, it also killed other metal movements like 'speed' metal that were slowly starting to go mainstream at that time, and by killing metal, the grunge movement made it easier for Rap/hip hop to grab the mainstream and not let go. It would take a monster album to bring the rock world even remotely close to where it was pre-grunge, and I dont think its likely to happen with CD. Only a new band no one has ever heard of yet could pull that off.

It's didn't kill Metal,

Metallica were much bigger in the 90's than they were in the 80's, hell dude, Metallica were proberly the biggest band of the 90's.

Naw...

Guns and Nirvana were bigger in the early 90's, easily. Plus, Metallica weren't making metal in the 90's - they were making hard rock. ;)

what came after them?

It's didn't kill Metal,

Naw...

Guns and Nirvana were bigger in the early 90's, easily. Plus, Metallica weren't making metal in the 90's - they were making hard rock. ;)

Nirvana and Gn'R might of been more bigger in the sense that they were pop music and hyped up by the media.

Metallica had and do have now a bigger fanbase. The St Anger tour was the hightest grossing US tour of all time.

what came after them?

It's didn't kill Metal,

Naw...

Nirvana and Gn'R might of been more bigger in the sense that they were pop music and hyped up by the media.

Metallica had and do have now a bigger fanbase. The St Anger tour was the hightest grossing US tour of all time.

You said 90's - not now, which makes your St Anger point superfluous. ;)

I said early 90's, which is absolutely right. You can hate GN'R all you like mate, but along with Nirvana, they were the biggest bands of the early 90's. Whether or not they were pop had nothing to do with it. They were the ones getting the airplay, they were the ones on MTV, they were the ones that sold the records.

:shades:

(You ignored my comment about metal/hard rock, but i'll forgive you... :kiss:)

Metallica were one of the biggest band in the 90's and they sold 17 millions copies of black album by last year statistics. Use your Illusions sold less i think and as far as for mtv metallica had their enter sandman and nothing else matters rolled all the time. Guns are my favorite band but i have to admit that metallica were a monster band back then but on the other hand guns always had bigger media attention.

Axl Rose is a middle-aged 44 year-old man playing with a motley group of men and musicians in a band that nobody really sees as GNR.

In all reality, the album will make an impression because people have been waiting for so long. But, however fresh the music is, the artist just isn't anymore.

It will take a band a gung-ho devil-may-care 20-something musicians to make an impact like GNR did with AFD in '87.

Face it, CD may be big, but to the young generation it is just a legendary old rocker who still plays. It might sell tens of millions, but it will NEVER have the impact that Appetite or, in our generation, Eminem's first record (was it Mathers or Shady?) had.

No it won't. Thinking it will is ignorant imo.

Some people have expectations for this album that are WAY too high.

Exactly!! That is why this album is going to be a HUGE letdown to a majority of the GNR online community. They might like the music, but their hearts will be crushed when they find out that CD wont cause the universe to explode when its released. It might even cause an exodus from the forums. How will these dreamers in fantasy land handle it after CD release when they realize that life is the same, but you have that one album in your hand, and its not living up to all these preconceived notions you had for it? Sure, CD will get some hype in the week or two leading up to its release, and there's a chance it could break the first week sales record. But dont expect Axl to be on a throne being worshipped by every citizen on the planet and being followed by the global media. Its not gonna happen.

Basically what you should be hoping for at this phase of Axl's career is something like Rod Stewart's career in the late 80's. Some MTV play, couple of hits, small amount of media coverage, and still being relevant in a sea of youth in the music industry. Asking for any more than that is just completely insane, and guarantees you are in for a huge letdown.

if it's good people will support it!, axl needs to drop it, he's one of rocks last hopes!

axl could be big again.

Tick-tock, tick-tock

Tick-tock, tick-tock

Tick-tock, tick-tock

Tick-tock, tick-tock

Naturally, your worried if you do it alone

Who really cares, cause it's your life

You never know, it could be great

Take a chance cause you might grow

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting for

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting for

Tick-tock, tick-tock

Tick-tock, tick-tock

Take a chance you stupid hoe

Like an echo pedal, you're repeating yourself

You know it all by heart

Why are you standing in one place

Born to blossom, bloom to perish

Your moment will run out

Cause of the age discrimination law

I know it's so messed up, how our society all thinks (for sure)

Life is short, you're capable

Look at your songs now

You're still a super hot rock star

You got your million-dollar contract

And they're all waiting for your hot track

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting for

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting

What you waiting for?

terrible lyrics

CD will play a role in what other bands come out with. It could easily shift attention back to rock and roll and away from the bullshit "boy band" trends which have lingered over the past ten or so years.

Oh, and by the way, THIS ALBUM WILL BE HUGE! WORLDWIDE!

Hey yall. im pretty new to this site. can someone tell me how to put a picture on a message like the one you're reading. anyway. A friend recently gave me 8 tacks from chinese democracy. it featured oh my god, chinese democracy, better, there was a time, the blues, madagascar and 2 instrumental tracks (one which would have been more at home on a limp bizkit, POD or motorhead album, and the other was a 5 minute long guitar solo version of 'over the rainbow'). Oh yeah, there was also track about drugs in which axl puts on a deep voice in an attempt to be found funny. But it wasnt. i find velvet revolver (slash,duff,matt sorum's band), addlers appetite(steven addler's band), j t longoria (izzy's band) and brides of destruction (tracii guns band) are better than anything axl has to offer. sorry axl.

The only 'real' New Guns N' Roses tracks are "The Blues", "Madagascar", "IRS", "Oh My God", "Rhiad and the Bedouins" and "Silkworms".

The other tracks you listed are mislabels.

What about Chinese Democracy? Edited by GooseKiller

It'll never happen..

Why?

Because it's not Guns N' Roses.. no matter what spin you put on it..

-Kickingthehabit