Axl is human after all.....

Nightcrawler

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nightcrawler, while I don't agree with you about the songs not being as good a VR's stuff - IMO they're much better - I still think people are over-rating them. They are not songs that, musically-speaking, will help GNR re-conquer the world. They are not, musically-speaking, up to the quality of Appetite or UYIs.

HOWEVER, I think that songs like this along with The Blues and Maddy (lets hope Rhiad and Silkworms are shelved indefinitely) will let GNR re-conquer the world. Quite simply, they are a fuck load better than anything else that's been on the music scene for the last six years or so. That probably says more for the music scene of our generation. Also, Axl's emo sound and the modern feel to the music is going to ring very well with 12-18 yr olds of this generation - that just about guarantee success.

I like the fact that Axl's experimenting. Releasing another Appetite-like album might have been easier, but he'd done that sound once and wanted to try something new. Good for him. But I think Better and IRS show that there are limits to how far this musical style can be stretched - and Axl is testing those limits.

People cannot compare this music in sound to Appetite. It's a completely different kettle of fish. But you can easily compare Contraband to Appetite - and let's face it, it wasn't in the same league or even universe! Also, the sound was considered to be antiquated. People said - oh look at those 80s refugees. Nobody can say that about NUGNR - I think were we're now justified in using the term!

Nightcrawler, while I don't agree with you about the songs not being as good a VR's stuff - IMO they're much better - I still think people are over-rating them. They are not songs that, musically-speaking, will help GNR re-conquer the world. They are not, musically-speaking, up to the quality of Appetite or UYIs.

HOWEVER, I think that songs like this along with The Blues and Maddy (lets hope Rhiad and Silkworms are shelved indefinitely) will let GNR re-conquer the world. Quite simply, they are a fuck load better than anything else that's been on the music scene for the last six years or so. That probably says more for the music scene of our generation. Also, Axl's emo sound and the modern feel to the music is going to ring very well with 12-18 yr olds of this generation - that just about guarantee success.

I like the fact that Axl's experimenting. Releasing another Appetite-like album might have been easier, but he'd done that sound once and wanted to try something new. Good for him. But I think Better and IRS show that there are limits to how far this musical style can be stretched - and Axl is testing those limits.

People cannot compare this music in sound to Appetite. It's a completely different kettle of fish. But you can easily compare Contraband to Appetite - and let's face it, it wasn't in the same league or even universe! Also, the sound was considered to be antiquated. People said - oh look at those 80s refugees. Nobody can say that about NUGNR - I think were we're now justified in using the term!

fuck off with the "nugnr" shit already. jeez.

No. IRS is far better than something like Spectacle. And I say that as someone who absolutely fucking loves Contraband.

I'm not even going to compare it to any of the better VR songs (Slither, Sucker Train Blues, etc) because it's all so subjective, and two very different styles of music. IRS is a kickass song. That's all that matters. Good music is good music.

Agree with you 100%

My throat is fucked trying to sing along to IRS :P

Monty

i think the problem with most people is that its new material so they think its the greatest thing since sliced bread...

so when someone has a negative oppinion against the song, they flame the hell out of that person because they are insecure about themselves... there parents probably got divorced before they went through puberty, so dont worry about these kind of people...

the important thing is that in a few weeks, the people who love this song will be bored with it and it wont be as groundbreaking as they thought it was, but they will pretend that it is still just so they look like their acting big and tough on an internet chat forum...

its all about insecurity, and ironically...the man who made this music is very insecure...

think about it... :drevil:

Just managed to cop a listen to both demos so for what its worth here's my two cents.

IRS - Fantasic tune. Love the dynamics, the rockin bits, the mellower bits, the scream, the solos. Sheer quality.

Better - I say this with regards to the demo and not necessarily the finished product,.... but I think its shite. Cheesy power chords and a bit OTT.

In line with the argument of the thread, from these demos alone I think musically VR has the edge with regards to riffs etc, but ANYTHING with Axl's voice on it pisses all over Weiland. If only we had a combo of the two!.................. :rolleyes:

LA

Just managed to cop a listen to both demos so for what its worth here's my two cents.

IRS - Fantasic tune. Love the dynamics, the rockin bits, the mellower bits, the scream, the solos. Sheer quality.

Better - I say this with regards to the demo and not necessarily the finished product,.... but I think its shite. Cheesy power chords and a bit OTT.

In line with the argument of the thread, from these demos alone I think musically VR has the edge with regards to riffs etc, but ANYTHING with Axl's voice on it pisses all over Weiland. If only we had a combo of the two!.................. :rolleyes:

LA

lol

Hey man.

It's Guns n Roses. It's Axl Rose.

For me this is the most important and i think for allmost people here too.

Don't care if don't sound like de old guns. Why to sound like the old guns if this is new stuff, with diferent people, with different point of views, with a lot of diferences.

DON'T CARE.

I love Velvet Revolver too bit this is Guns n Roses. This is Axl Rose.

It's all about opinion.

Some people have the opinion that these two demos aren't as great as the material on Contraband, that's fine.

My opinion is that it beats the shit out of Contraband, probally because of 2 things:

1. I can't even listen to that cd anymore...too boring.

2. I think these songs are better, even as demos.

But keep in mind, comparing demos to studio tracks is not the greatest idea ever..

It's all about opinion.

Some people have the opinion that these two demos aren't as great as the material on Contraband, that's fine.

My opinion is that it beats the shit out of Contraband, probally because of 2 things:

1. I can't even listen to that cd anymore...too boring.

2. I think these songs are better, even as demos.

But keep in mind, comparing demos to studio tracks is not the greatest idea ever..

I completely agree. I love both Slash and Axl, and I'm sorry, but IRS shits on Contraband, by far. I'm probably full of bias because I hate Scott Weiland. He is a horrible singer and looks like a stick. Axl still has a quality voice that you can recognize, whereas Scott's voice is some generic voice that sounds like some other rack-rocker. I'll give Scott credit because VR is having major success, but I can't stand him. Their music is good, but Contraband was majorly overproduced and not creative enough for me. Fall to Pieces is still another boring, generic rock song to me. Slither and Sucker Train Blues have potential, but they just keep repeating themselves. I'm not saying that Axl's album won't be generic, I'm just hoping it isn't. The thing about VR is that a song like Slither, you can recognize right off because of the riff, which is cool. I'm hoping CD has some recognizable riffs. Still, everything I've heard from New GN'R has killed VR, including the live tracks. Even if I loved VR, I'd feel the same. You just can't compare rock music with Axl's voice to some other boring-sounding band. I just can't.

oh it's coming, but you're STILL right.

;) hey, I hoped his new stuff would change the world too.

what was all that stuff said about 'The Blues' and 'Madagascar' being b-side material. Maybe it was said tongue in cheek. Maybe these demo leaks won't be on the album as the stuff on album will be so much better.

The stupidity from people like nightcrawler and moreblack sadden me greatly :(

If the songs being leaked did sound just like the old gnr, you'd be bashing them for that too!

With that said, these songs seem like a natural progression from the Illusions, with a modern twist on them. But this is no surprise, this is Axl Rose we are talking about.

And yes, all of these songs completely shit on Contraband. IMO, Contraband has no place here, go to a VR board if you really prefer that shit. This is a Guns N' Roses board, stop living in the past.

The new songs are being leaked, its obvious the album is coming out. Get ready for round 2!

In my opinion, these two demos from new GN'R are superior to anything that VR has made until now. To me, there's really no comparison. IRS and the Better clip are fantastic. Most VR songs are either mediocre or average. Only good one is You Got No Right, and even that is far away from IRS and Better.

But, as in everything, there are people that have different opinions. It's understandable...

In my opinion, these two demos from new GN'R are superior to anything that VR has made until now. To me, there's really no comparison. IRS and the Better clip are fantastic. Most VR songs are either mediocre or average. Only good one is You Got No Right, and even that is far away from IRS and Better.

But, as in everything, there are people that have different opinions. It's understandable...

Well said I.R.S is amazing, sooo good to finally have the good quality demo version :D

Nightcrawler, I think the fact that you would even compare two unfinished demos with VR's album says a lot.

It's not that I don't like VR but I think this material has greater potential.

Same 'ere, this stuff has real potential to turn heads, its so new sounding but still has that Guns touch to it

After listening to it again, your both right, it's a good song now, it can be better.

I'd like to remind everyone of this....

On a positive note, gnr have been made aware of the positive feedback from you guys/gals of the clip, and management have also added that IRS is, in fact, not even in the Top 10 of new tracks by Guns n'roses.

Slither is probably a little bit better than IRS, so VR does have one song better than CD's filler material. I think you'd have a very tough time arguing for any more than that though.

Funny how the original poster chooses to make this thread about IRS and not The Blues, Better, or Chinese Democracy even though we've heard all three of them.

I'd like to remind everyone of this....
On a positive note, gnr have been made aware of the positive feedback from you guys/gals of the clip, and management have also added that IRS is, in fact, not even in the Top 10 of new tracks by Guns n'roses.

Slither is probably a little bit better than IRS, so VR does have one song better than CD's filler material. I think you'd have a very tough time arguing for any more than that though.

Funny how the original poster chooses to make this thread about IRS and not The Blues, Better, or Chinese Democracy even though we've heard all three of them.

That's a good point, if the song is not in the top 10 it could not even be on the album being it's only 13 tracks long.

I've made threads about the other songs in the past, but not in comparison since they were live. I think mad and the blues and Cd are cool songs, I think IRS is a cool song. It's sad that anything not completely up Axls ass around here get's you labeled as a slash worshipper and it's assumed that you are anti axl.

I'm not, Axl is great, I was commenting on the fact it was a'normal' song, nothing intricate or what people were claiming the material would be, just like the blues, mad and CD, normal songs. Comparing it to spectacle may be insulting to some, but it's just a regular song like that, nothhing deep or complex about it all, sorry, not my fault.

I think the songs are fairly average from what I hear at the moment...

I hear elements of nu-metal in "better"...it actually reminds me of Linkin Park

I think theres more goin on in IRS than we can hear, I think theres a good few effects in the background which are difficult to hear

Vr is more straight ahead rock, this is more complex music that will grow on you in time

IRS is a good song, It's about as good as spectacle, better than Illegal I.....

But Vr has better songs guys. Alot of better songs.

It's just a noraml sounding song, no layered intricate sound or anything. If this song is on the album then the album will not be this epic tranformative record so many of you hope it will be and fault contraband for not being. But how could it be?

I bring up Vr because so many here slagged them for not sounding like GNR but the truth is they sound more like GNR on much of contraband than this or anything else we have heard from Axls band this must be dissapointing to alot of you. That's not an insult to Axl at all. Unlike alot of you I really thought VR put out a great hard rock album.

It's a good song, it was intresting how close the sound of this studio demo [or unmixed recording] is to the better soundboards of the other songs floating around out there of chinese democracy and madagasgar and the blues. Those songs particularly CD and Mad have a very unified sound with IRS.

I can see why the sound conflicted with what Slash and the guys were doing and why he needed a new band to get it. Or maybe it's not the sound he intened when the band disolved but instead what his new band grew into, either way it's a different sound than what Axl did in the past.

For those of you who missed the point, please begin the flaming about the comparison to Velvet Revolver.

I'm not going to flame... but where were you over the course of the last 10 years while we were getting indications that it might sound a little industrial... a little Floydish (when Floyds producer worked on it)... etc? Where were you a couple weeks ago when Axl himself said that people would say "this doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses".

That said, thanks for the update:)

I think it sounds 10 times better than anything on Contraband. Of course it doesn't sound like old GNR... nobody ever said it would sound anything like the old GNR. Everyone involved said the exact opposit. Virtually all of the new GNR songs we've heard are potential radio-single regulars. VR had one song, really, that got any real radio air time... Slither.

Good job Axl... looking forward to hearing the rest of the album:)

Are you people insane? Or just lost your sense of hearing?

IRS is far better - even in its demo version - than anything VR put out. Sorry, but that's a fact.

And I can't believe some of you Slash worshippers are trying to bring Axl down and make him feel hesitant about releasing the album. Shame on you! :angry:

Slashholes fans are deff :lol: ... A Demo version of IRS destroys everything Slash has released so far!