How good of a guitarist are you?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zipgunboogie

and what people dont understand is there isnt just one way to play guitar. many many ways you might be an awsome rock guitar player but suck at blues or country or jazz or metal. you cant compare a metal guy to a jazz guy way to different styles.

and another thing. if you know atleast the basic things on guitar. anyone that puts enuff time in it can learn somone elses song. to me thaat doesnt make you a good guitar player. your just learning someone elses song. yeah maybe you can play it just about perfectly but your just copying somone. i dont think any guitarist that is rated to be one of the best is rated that way because they can play a certain song.

ive been playin since i was five. im gonna be 24 in march so thats almost 19 years. ive studied people like Page and Blackmore because i admire that they can play any type of music. look at blackmore now hes playin all medeival music. he went from blues to rock to metal to that. and jimmy the guy took a violin bow to a guitar. to me no one has been that unique since.and then you have malmsteen, via and sitrani that has there own complete theory to playin the guitar. but ill tell ya from being in a couple bands. you dont get the spot of lead guitar player from playing certain songs you didnt write. unless your a cover band of course, but its how different and unique that you can play, and be able to play anytype of song good with exceptional quality. thats what gets you there. now im not braggin. ive just been playin a long time. but you can never master the guitar as an instrument. you cant always master it in a type of music. just some addvice to people who are still learning dont limit your self. learn different types off music. it just gives you that much more vocabulary to express yourself.

Guest zipgunboogie
maybe we should all put up a sample of our playing, just to make everyone sure that we are the number that we say we are.

hey thats a good idea. im not sure how to. can anyone help. ill put up some of my guitar playin in a blues/jazz band i joined when i lived in london. i was 17 when i joined them but. when we did this demo i was 20.

so who could tell me how.

i'd say a 6

gilmour's a 7

slash is an 8

bucket's a 9

vai is a 10

i'm apalled some of you guys gave yourselves 10s, why aren't you incredibly famous?

oh, that's right. YOU'RE BULLSHITTING!

EDIT- good call moreblack, here's a clip of me from a couple months ago playing one of my tunes

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1XCMSFV...BQ3TOYW3IMK7OWV

Edited by quadlaser

i'd say a 6

gilmour's a 7

slash is an 8

bucket's a 9

vai is a 10

i'm apalled some of you guys gave yourselves 10s, why aren't you incredibly famous?

EDIT- good call moreblack, here's a clip of me from a couple months ago playing one of my tunes

You rate Slash higher than Gilmour?? you can't be serious.

Anyway i'm not really fit to rate myself, i mean, i would need someone unbiased to rate me. I wouldn't call myself great or anything, but i can do some good improvisation.

I will be. ;) Mention one guitarist who's world-known at the age of 16. Everybody in my local area knows me as the best guitarist around, and my guitar teacher (he's fuckin' great) has told me I'm the best student he has teached.

I will be. ;) Mention one guitarist who's world-known at the age of 16. Everybody in my local area knows me as the best guitarist around, and my guitar teacher (he's fuckin' great) has told me I'm the best student he has teached.

well then why dont you post something that proves your amazing skills? ;)

i'd say a 6

gilmour's a 7

slash is an 8

bucket's a 9

vai is a 10

Anyway i'm not really fit to rate myself, i mean, i would need someone unbiased to rate me. I wouldn't call myself great or anything, but i can do some good improvisation.

Nahh he cant be serious :xmasschef2:

Guest zipgunboogie
i'd say a 6

gilmour's a 7

slash is an 8

bucket's a 9

vai is a 10

hey your good. my computer only downloaded the song i didnt get to see the clip.

Guest zipgunboogie

yes i would like to here some of your stuff. but in your local area isnt world known.but like you said your 16. im not gonna say you are BS ing cause ive never heard you but i teach at a guitar store. i get a lot of students around your age. so did you take lessons or teach your self or both?

and im kinda world known. In Ireland i was in a band that was pretty big in Dublin i still get calls from people who want to sign us. but the band broke up on a hard note. . and i also did some session work in england. and i was in a blues band that got pretty big. we did some demos. and had a cd made. so you could PM me some stuff if you dont want to put it on here. i really want to here it.

i'd say a 6

gilmour's a 7

slash is an 8

bucket's a 9

vai is a 10

Nahh he cant be serious :xmasschef2:

i'm going from a technical standpoint, it's the only way to be fair.

remember, soul and emotion are in the eye of the beholder (yeah, james is an 8)

Gnar, are you gonna tell me you can top THIS guy?

16 Year Old guy.

^this kid's 16, and I've seen him play he's amazing...^

I give myself a 7. Most would probably rate me lower than that as I can't play uberfast licks. I play bluesier solos, but not SRV speedblues. I play a slower, emotional style that isn't condusive to the crazy licks goin all over the place. I try to use my solos to tell the story on their own, just a mirror of the lyrics. I put the songs emotions into the solo, and try to work em together.

I play a slower, emotional style that isn't condusive to the crazy licks goin all over the place. I try to use my solos to tell the story on their own, just a mirror of the lyrics. I put the songs emotions into the solo, and try to work em together.

that sounds more like Gilmour's style.... cool.

any samples?

I play a slower, emotional style that isn't condusive to the crazy licks goin all over the place. I try to use my solos to tell the story on their own, just a mirror of the lyrics. I put the songs emotions into the solo, and try to work em together.

any samples?

Probably will this Thursday

Guest zipgunboogie

any samples?

thats how i prefer to play. you remember playing like that better than you do speed guitar. Ritchie Blackmore is Amaziing at playing the talking guitar. so is slash. and Clapton