What influences can you hear?

lawrence

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could all be reworkings of GNR songs but with modern production.

Oh My God - WTTJ played very fast - Mr Bungle time changes sort of Slayer meets Aerosmith in Primus' home studio.

Silkworms - It's So Easy without the bass parts - Actually sounds like a track off Trance Dance Anthems 1999 if you take off the guitars.

Chinese Democracy - Nightrain but leans more towards an Izzy Stradlin song with open chord opening which is popular with many bands like Nirvana, U2......Rolling Stones remixed by Danny Saber.

There Was A Time - November Rain but with hip hop beats - Sounds a lot like UYI era GNR, even the solos sound like Slash.

The Blues - Estranged meets Yesterdays meets a Elton John song.

Madagascar - Civil War with trip hop beats. GNR meets Massive Attack and The Beatles.

Better - with SCOM guitar lick played through sausage grinder amps. Kind of like an Oasis song like She's Electric.

IRS - an angry version of Don't Cry. Reminded me of Led Zepp with the solos and Cold Turkey/prinal scream therapy session.

Rhyiad and the Bedoiuns - Back Off Bitch the Litigation Remix. Very Zeppelin, Four Hourmen of the Apocalypse vibe.

Catcher in the Rye - A lighter Used to Love her. Like Lennon meets Queen.

U2's Zooropa is probably very important for Axl.

U2 took risks in that album produced by Flood and Brian Eno. It didn't really sound as U2... The band explored electronica way deeper than it had before.

I'm pretty sure Axl decided to experiment with GNR after hearing that album. It got released in 1993 which is a crucial date for GNR...

The idea of making some kind of "geopolitical" album comes from that album too : Zooropa contains samples from "Lenin's Favourite Songs" for example...

zooropasr2.jpg

Moreover, Zooropa proved that a huge band was able to make experiments.

I think in 2000 I said (to much tomato throwing) that what Axl might want to do is like what U2 did with Achtung Baby, Zoopra, Pop. He might want to pull off a rock album which is commercial, which will then give him space to put out a more experimental album. Then a more Pop Rock album which would transform into the big leagues as an artist. There for completing the transformation form metal basket case to mainstream recording artist, like Aerosmith's Pump working with various name producers like Desmond Childs.

The "Geopolitical" angle is a good one. Axl is known to like Queensryche so...

Chinese culture has been realtively prominent in Hollywood from the 70s with Kung Fu and with movies like Chinatown. But also alot of bands like Zepp dipped into eastern cultures like with Kasmir, The Beatles in India. Even the band that GNR owe most to is called Hanoi Rocks.

Thin Lizzy had an album called Chinatown - so it's not that out of the ordinary to use chinese icongraphy and the clash between cultures does throw up interesting territory creatively. Even Motley Crue had an album with a chinese dragon tattoo on the cover.

If you start thinking The Wall, The White Album, Queensryche, Led Zeppelin, ELO, meets 90s rock influences in a Strangeland where Eastern and Western cultiure and philosophies collide - this is the Landscape both musically and psychologically that CD occupies.

It would be a contraction in terms, a paradox, a musical oxymoron - in fact it would be a Chinese Democracy.

"Forget Jack, you're in Chinatown."

A show that steps up to U2 and Manson levels. My intial idea was for a White Trash/Chinese Imagery type of thing - Mystic Kitsch. Mixing images of western culture with chinese visuals. The shows could be based on some kind of chinese Emporor ceremonies. Like Manson came out as the Pope Axl could be brought out and dressed as an Emporor from the Ching dynasty. Opium would also be a great metaphor and imagery to use. Opium dens as a lifestyle could look good on stage. Mixing that with really crazy Welcome to the Jungle-type political imagery and have fun with it like U2. The show would be the same but images from CD would start to be more prominent on stage.

Moreover, Zooropa proved that a huge band was able to make experiments.

Yeah but it sucked big time. Especially after a return to form in Actung Baby!

If GnR put something out like Zooropa they would be screwed.

I can't see Zoopra working for GNR as a comback album but after a more Achtung Baby-type of record, full of mid tempo power ballads, there might be a truly crazy album of Shaq Raps and Extended My World Remixes. Followed by a purely commercial pop record like a poppy Axl piano ballad album full of CITR type of jingles.

Chinese Democracy

The Persistence of Insanity

Ovaries N Ivories

The term Emo should never be in the same sentence as the word's Guns N' Roses thank you.

lol no never

It's sort of ironic cos GNR is wery ewotional wusic. In many ways GNR invented emo by making songs like SCOM, Don't Cry and November Rain massive hits. Before GNR it was all about image and mirrors and hairspray.

I hear UYI songs remixed, honed, crafted, condensed, and focused.

OMG - I really hear a song like Garden of

Eden crashing into Perfect Crime with Primus in the studio.

Silkworms - It's like GNR at a S&M rave.

Chinese D - Rolling Stones meets GNR very Izzy Stradlin, has a rant like YCBM.

TWAT - November Rain but shorter, more radio friendly. Very Hotel California vibe.

The Blues - Very classic rock but is more focused than Estranged. Like a metal version of an Elton John song.

Madagascar - Like Civil War played by The Beatles but about the war in the band, a personal war.

Ryiad and the Bedoiuns - Sort of like The Litigation Blues, very Immigrant Song. A Legal Matter by The Who???

CITR - so John Lennon. Even in its sparse production. Innocent, naive, yet beautiful.

IRS - Has something of Civil War/Nightrain but has the Rage of YCBM. Very GNR.

Better - intro is SCOM. Then the song is sort of a recovery from drugs n a relationship using better in various ways. V good song imo.

I like IRS and Better cos I can't pin them, what the influences are. They could only be GNR.

Havent really heard a clear version of Ryiad and still can't spell the bastard, so I can't really say, but it sounded very metal towards the end like, galloping horses.