IRS in "heavy rotation" on WAAF for a reason

darknemus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to think. The station near me played a clip of Better a fan sent in, which suprised me.

If there playing it as much as people say they are the would have a ceace and desist by now if GN'R really didn't want it played

Honestly, what are they gonna do? Send a cease and desist letter to every rock station in the country?

The PD's of WEEI, WAAF, MikeFM, and WRKO met with the GM of Entercom Boston for a routine progaming meeting. At that meeting several topics were discussed including the playing of a New Guns N' Roses track, which was to be played in heavy rotation as requested by the bands management.

It doesn't say a name. Maybe they've been shipped a single :unsure:

I guess IRS could be the first single then...that's too bad, I don't consider it a great song at all (in fact VR has a couple of songs that are superior IMO :o ). One thing that popped into my mind though is that Better might be the first single, which is why only half of it got leaked. I don't even know if that makes any sense (maybe the end is amazing), I guess it's just curious that the other songs are leaked in full but Better is not...could be a moot point if it will be though.

thats what i was thinking, my money's on better as the first single.

Dude, IRS is amazing and FAR better than anything else thats been put out in a decade...and it DEFINATELY kicks the shit out of mediocre hard rock songs like slither and loving the alien <_<

That's your opinion. I have mine. And I didn't say anything about Slither. <_<

I don't know what to think. The station near me played a clip of Better a fan sent in, which suprised me.

If there playing it as much as people say they are the would have a ceace and desist by now if GN'R really didn't want it played

Honestly, what are they gonna do? Send a cease and desist letter to every rock station in the country?

If WAAF is playing IRS every hour as has been claimed then, I wouldn't hesitate to file a cease and desist if I was management and didn't want it played

Sorry, I don't believe it.

First of all, the leaked IRS isn't even 100% studio quality or mixed properly, so if that's the song that's on the album there are bigger problems than just when the damn thing gets released.

Secondly, the WAAF station has kept saying while playing the song that they aren't sure if this is the new Guns N' Roses single, but they admit they found it online and are going to play it until their lawyers tell them not to.

If it was planned beforehand they would have hyped it beforehand instead of just, "Oh hey guess what, we found a new Guns N Roses song online!!"

Edited by OTHAFA

They are playing it every hour. At least as of 3 hours ago (last time I checked)

-darknemus

Well then there ya go clearly Guns and Uncle A aren't to worried over this. Thats a lot of airtime for the track if they wanted it under wraps

Edited by axl04

Here's MY take on this.

The leaks, themselves, aren't intentional (at least not by Merck / GNR) - however, I think they are doing their damndest to make the best of a bad situation and turn lemons into lemonade, so to speak.

Sort of makes sense.

Maybe they've realised that there is no way of stopping the distribution of the demos. So instead of fighting it, they're now pushing I.R.S (a song that was perhaps never really consided as a potential single, and seems to be the most complete/finished of the three) for some free publicity.

But, hey, who knows?

I guess IRS could be the first single then...that's too bad, I don't consider it a great song at all (in fact VR has a couple of songs that are superior IMO :o ).

LOL...dude, don't mention Contraband on any of new GNR songs.....Contraband is as boring/dull as any out dated ROCK can get!

Here's MY take on this.

The leaks, themselves, aren't intentional (at least not by Merck / GNR) - however, I think they are doing their damndest to make the best of a bad situation and turn lemons into lemonade, so to speak.

-darknemus

hey dark, care to elaborate on why you think the leaks were not an inside job? I tend to believe they were...it certainly gets the hardcore fanbase ready (as a lot of them were in cruise control due to the years of waiting), and seeps into the mainstream marketplace. Great foundation to lay in preparation for the official marketing campaign since you've already created a captive audience. A leak of TWAT was a bit more than I thought they would want to do however.

anyone know what kind of feedback it's getting out side of us hardcore fans?.

Not sure about the radio listeners. But I've honestly been surprised at how well received it's been. I've sent it to friends who haven't listened to GnR's in years and the feedback has all been positive.

Let's put it this way, it's not leaving people completely dumbfounded like Oh My God did. :lol:

They are playing it every hour. At least as of 3 hours ago (last time I checked)

-darknemus

anyone know what kind of feedback it\'s getting out side of us hardcore fans?.

101 Wrif had buncha people call in, and they all liked it.

Girl - \"We got, like 5 people here, who all like it!\"

Dj - \"Okay, we will try to play it again.\"

Girl and five people - *Cheers*

Also, the Dj\'s liked it too, but the female host called Axl, \"Mental.\"

KBear,

I'm really not sure exactly why I think they're not an inside job. I guess the main reason is the fact that 3 (well, 2 1/2 tracks) leaked in such a short timeframe. I'm not discounting that it could have been intentional, I just have this weird vibe that it wasn't.

Doesn't matter - its not like if it is intentional, Sanctuary would ever admit to it anyway. This entire situation is really, really strange.

-darknemus

the strangest thing is that there isnt a official message from merck or the band...yet. I mean , acusations of the leaks being an intentional move were there since the beginning, and even if it were intentional i bet the management would have already issued a statement telling everybody that this wasnt their creation...

One clarification - I made a mistake in the original posting. the meeting took place on FRIDAY morning, not Saturday. I apologize, i'm currently in Orlando and I really had no sense of the day. He / she said "yesterday morning" and I, thinking today was Sunday, said Saturday morning. My bad.

-darknemus

KBear,

I'm really not sure exactly why I think they're not an inside job. I guess the main reason is the fact that 3 (well, 2 1/2 tracks) leaked in such a short timeframe. I'm not discounting that it could have been intentional, I just have this weird vibe that it wasn't.

Doesn't matter - its not like if it is intentional, Sanctuary would ever admit to it anyway. This entire situation is really, really strange.

-darknemus

That's a good point. They'd probably leak it in more organized fashion. I think it's possible they gave it to someone to leak and they may have gotten carried away, deviating from the planned sequence. I don't know how a leak would have to be orchestrated, but I'm assuming Merck or Axl wouldn't leak it from their own PC.

I think that the leaks were unintentional. But since the feedback has been 85% positive on a track that isn't even one of the top 10 tracks on the album, they're letting it run free to generate more excitement.

HOWEVER! I think the GN'R management wouldn't be happy if TWAT started circulating too much.

I asked Merck about this, and he said that all radio stations had been sent "cease and desist" letters.

I'll start a new thread about this - so that people can post radio stations that are still playing the track.

I'm sure everyone is just going to be thrilled to assist him.

Edited by OTHAFA