Copyrights & Trademarks

TheViper

tat2d1 brought up a good point in this post: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?s=&sho...dpost&p=1116478

The copyright searches aren't turning up anything for new material. I also tried to search for Trademarks, because surely if there was going to be a new album they would have new merchandise and possibly a new logo. You can search for Trademarks on this site: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=sear...tate=gkqhkc.1.1

NOTE: The Trademark site will not allow you to COPY/PASTE the search results. If you try copying and pasting the link here, others will get an error when they click on the link.

To search type "Guns and Roses" in the 'Search Term' field. Then below that make sure to choose

the search 'Field': of "Owner Name and Address" from the drop down list. The *newest* LIVE trademark was registered back in 1997, Serial Number 75088597 Most of them show that they are DEAD, which I guess means they cancelled them or something else.

Anyway, I thought I would throw these out there for you to play with. Try different search terms, etc. see if you can come up with anything else interesting.

read on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

Bootleg recordings are musical recordings that have not been officially released by the artist or their associated management or production companies. They may consist of demos, outtakes or other studio material, or of illicit recordings of live performances. Music enthusiasts may use the term "bootleg" to differentiate these otherwise unavailable recordings from "pirated" copies of commercially released material, but these recordings are still protected by copyright despite their lack of formal release, and their distribution is still against the law.

Gunsguy

Edited by gunsguy

here's a little interesting thing that a lawyer friend told me. he says you can't trademark/copyright a song TITLE or album TITLE. the lyrics,music, and contents are protected under the copyright, but not the title itself. think about it, i'm sure we could all name several bands that have songs that have the same title, but completely different content. Example: the black crowe's "remedy" and seether's "remedy." so, back a few years ago when the Offspring were stirring the pot and threatening to call their next album Chinese Democracy they could've gotten away with it.

here's a little interesting thing that a lawyer friend told me. he says you can't trademark/copyright a song TITLE or album TITLE. the lyrics,music, and contents are protected under the copyright, but not the title itself. think about it, i'm sure we could all name several bands that have songs that have the same title, but completely different content. Example: the black crowe's "remedy" and seether's "remedy." so, back a few years ago when the Offspring were stirring the pot and threatening to call their next album Chinese Democracy they could've gotten away with it.

yay the offspring!