I don't Like Demos on Radio

MYWORLD

I hope that these stations are calling these demos, making it clear they are demos. They sound good, but who knows what these songs sound like fully produced.

It's great that they are getting exposure, but at the same time, is it introducing GNR to a new potential group of fans in a lesser way?

Just my .02

But, and just to play devil's advocate here, how many bands could even justify the level of interest for a radio station to even consider playing a demo?

Totally right.

Can you remember any other band having demo's played on the radio with such excitement??

Maybe Axl should take a hint, and give them something a little more official to play. The interest is clearly there, for christs sake, some stations were playing IRS once every hour. Now, I like IRS, but its hardly a great track, and the response has been very positive. Now, imagine what the response would be to a great song?

Why is everyone saying "these are demo's", "they will be mixed better", "they will sound better"...

I have a feeling these songs are the real deal...they might be adjusted a bit before press but they sound pretty damn good.

Just because you think the guitar isn't loud enough, or the drums aren't loud enough, or you're listening to them on crappy ipod headphones or tinny sounding computer speakers....I think there's gonna be some major disappointment around here by everyone who things these songs are still in a raw stage and not close to finished...I think they are done...

The vocals have alot of doubling up in spots and different effets throughout the song. These songs are a far cry from a first through rough draft. I think they're done.

Why is everyone saying "these are demo's", "they will be mixed better", "they will sound better"...

I have a feeling these songs are the real deal...they might be adjusted a bit before press but they sound pretty damn good.

Just because you think the guitar isn't loud enough, or the drums aren't loud enough, or you're listening to them on crappy ipod headphones or tinny sounding computer speakers....I think there's gonna be some major disappointment around here by everyone who things these songs are still in a raw stage and not close to finished...I think they are done...

The vocals have alot of doubling up in spots and different effets throughout the song. These songs are a far cry from a first through rough draft. I think they're done.

so you dont think that IRS is a demo???? (Cuz thats the song i was talking about)... neither linkin park would release a song like this (the way it is)...

I read that as "I don't Like Demons on Radio" - Demons on the Radio? what's he on ;)

Agreed, radio stations should not be allowed to air download mp3's of demo's of albums that are due anytime soon.

Edited by dobadog

No I don't think IRS is a DEMO. I'm guessing it's very very close to what's gonna be relased, if not a copy of what is actually going to be relased.

Axl said - people are gonna hear stuff that sounds different, might not sound like what you're used to.

Quality wise, honestly, these songs are pretty damn good.

Guess everyone's hoping for that raw sound on appetite again, or the synths on the UYI albums. This sounds is different. Granted I think the adjustment might be slightly different if thse are unmastered for reproduction - that's an art all to itself, but it doesn't really add to a good song.

Take a good song - you should be able to sit down with an acoustic guitar and play it. You shouldn't have to hide behind "oh, the drums should be more here, the levels there should be adjusted to bring such and such out". Thats not music, that's production

I find it really really funny all the people saying things like - ok imagin how good they'll be when they're finished, or imagine how good they'l lbe when they're mastered..a song's a song, the rest is presentation. You can wrap dogshit in bacon and grill it doesn't make if filet mignon.

That said, I think these songs are awesome. Have them at work, at home and in my car...

I find it really really funny all the people saying things like - ok imagin how good they'll be when they're finished, or imagine how good they'l lbe when they're mastered..a song's a song, the rest is presentation. You can wrap dogshit in bacon and grill it doesn't make if filet mignon.

That said, I think these songs are awesome. Have them at work, at home and in my car...

Ok, I'll give you that a song should or can hold it's own if it's good, but the Mixing and mastering are part of the presentation of that song, and are part of the art of music in recorded form.

Why do people invest in high end sound systems? to hear the music in all it's glory.

If you think the artist has no part of the mixing and mastering and doesn't include input into that process to make sure that song is being heard EXACTLY how they want it to be heard, you'd be crazy.

I wouldn't listen to CD online for the first time, not downloaded or streamed, I want it the way it was meant, and I don't think that's what people are getting. we get the idea, but not the whole package.

I hope that these stations are calling these demos, making it clear they are demos. They sound good, but who knows what these songs sound like fully produced.

It's great that they are getting exposure, but at the same time, is it introducing GNR to a new potential group of fans in a lesser way?

Just my .02

I agree they are treating these demos like singles

"If you think the artist has no part of the mixing and mastering and doesn't include input into that process to make sure that song is being heard EXACTLY how they want it to be heard, you'd be crazy. "

Actually no I wouldn't be crazy...they have a final ok but...like the director who shoots a movie - it says "directed by steven spielberg" but he probably had at least 2 other locations and directors shooting other scenes simultaneously becaue of time/cost restraints - usually less imporatnt or interesting scenes, but still...not what you'd think. It's one name that is branded and sells and people (like you) buy into that.

Axl has mentioned over and over in fact how much of a group effort this album was and how everyoone is bringing their own piece to the table....

The mastering at least, I've read up on it a while ago. There's this one guy in particualr (dont know his name) but he's big into alot of really good bands (ie bands with lots of money to put it another way).

He does like a cd in a very shor time. It costs too much (and not enough really good guys who really understand what will sound ok) to have what you guys probably think happens where axl would sit around for years getting things just right.

The parts get recorded, effects etc, mixed then sent to get mastered which is a very short process.

But, and just to play devil's advocate here, how many bands could even justify the level of interest for a radio station to even consider playing a demo?

That's a great point. No one would care if these were Bon Jovi or Aerosmith demos. Even if Axl's been out of the public eye for the better part of the last 12 years, it makes quite a statement when his demos are getting radio airplay. To say radio needs new Guns N' Roses is like saying fish need water.

I would agree Radio could use GNR.. But these leaks are getting to much, I may agree with a management leak conspiracy, if it was one track.

But if rumors are true, Prostitute will come out soon, that's 4 demo tracks, not in all their glory, not released as intended. I don't care if it has been 5, 10, 15, 20 years, I want to hear it as much or more as anyone, but I know I will enjoy hearing it the right way 1000 times better.

we may not all agree with the process, but man, I would hope we can still respect it.

IRS uses a drum machine

so what if a song uses a drum machine in parts or in whole (which none of theses do, they all have some live drumming)

Lots of songs on the radio use drum machines. That 'orchestra' in november rain. Did you know that was a 'violin machine' haha. It's synthetic sounds. So what.

And I find it hard to believe that most of you could tell the difference between a drum machine and live drumming.

I really think there's gonna be disappointment when the actual songs come out and they're the same.

Like I said, did you hear the vocal layering?? These are pretty fuckin intricate arrangements. These ain't demo's or rough drafts.

And for all of you who think chinese democracy is the second coming - but STILL say things like 'oh, wait until it's mixed properly' or 'these are only demo's'. Do you think something classic, say John Lennon's Imagine, sounds any worse when he sits down and strums it on a guitar live than when you hear the studio version? A classic is a classic. Period. And if you're waiting for a 'remix' if these songs to convince your friends or the public who don't like it, get a life, get over it, accept that maybe not everyone likes the songs, not everyone has to, and just enjoy!

Start enjoying, stop bitching about things like "oh I feel guilty listening", "oh please don't leak anymore it'll spoil it". You people must have battered wife syndrome...you like the punishment. Guess that's why you've stuck to guns for so long.

I still say whatever it is we have, is not fully mastered, or if it was, along the way it was degraded somewhat, yes the arrangements are complex, but the edge is NOT there. I am just a stickler for hearing every nuance, if what I have is truly identical to the finished product, I will be disapointed in the production. I like most of the songs, The blues and Maddy are great, live, bootlegged, demo, or whatever. Better sounds like it could be a great song. and There was a time is good too, although I would like the chorus to be different.

Telling the difference between a drum machine and live drumming could be impossible, drums can use triggers to trigger a pre-recorded sound, so real drumming can still sound machine like, or cleander or whatever they want.

But I stand by that, when we hear CD, if these songs are on it, they will sound better