Nobody has to defend Axls new sound

Nightcrawler

Most of us have read this years ago, but in light of the new developments i thought it'd be refreshing to pull out some stuff that applies still, based on things he indicated in the recent RS interview, only spoke of more completely.

Axls comment to Kurt Loder back in 2000:

So we have material that we think is too advanced for old Guns fans to hear right now and they would completely hate, because we were exploring the use of computers [along with] everybody really playing their ass off and combining that, but trying to push the envelope a bit. It's like, "Hmm, I have to push the envelope a little too far. We'll wait on that." So we got a list of things

So, as we can see not only does he know some of the material will not be liked by alot of GNR fans, particularly those who cling so ridgedly to the Old sound but it was his intention to try and push past those boundries.

The reason he had the new band re-record AFD :

Learning the old Guns songs and getting them up, you know, putting them on tape, really forced everybody to get them up to the quality that they needed to be at. Once the energy was figured out by the new guys, how much energy was needed to get the songs right, then it really helped in the writing and recording process of the new record.

Here also is the method he works:

I write the vocals last, because I wanted to invent the music first and push the music to the level that I had to compete against it. That's kind of tough. It's like you got to go in against these new guys who kicked ass. You finally got the song musically where you wanted to, and then you have to figure out how to go in and kick its ass and be one person competing against this wall of sound.

Why I chose to do it that way is that, you know, I can sit and write poetry 'til hell freezes over, and getting attached to any particular set of words... I felt that I would write to those words in a dated fashion, and we really wouldn't get the best music. "Oh My God" is a perfect example. When we finally got "Oh My God" where it needed to be, then I got the right words to it. With "Appetite," I wrote a lot of the words first, but in, like, "Oh My God," I wrote the words second, but the music was written like "Appetite." We kept developing it until it we got it right. [With] "Appetite," everything had been worked on, and worked on, and worked on. That was not the case with "Use Your Illusion."

And here he is talking in more completion back in 2000 of things he mentioned to RS recently, so I'm guessing they still apply:

Rose: It's a lot of different sounds. There's some other really heavy songs, there's a lot of aggressive songs, but they're all in different styles and different sounds. It is truly a melting pot.

I go back to listening to Queen -- you know, we're still hoping to have Brian May come in and do some tracks, and I got a fax today that he's coming in -- Queen had all kinds of different-style songs on their records, and that's something that I like. 'Cause I do listen to a lot of things, and I really don't like being pigeonholed to that degree, and it's something that Guns N' Roses seem to share [with Queen] a bit. With "Appetite," even though it seems to have the same sound, if you really go back, you can pull all the little parts from different influences. That's not really the case by the time we're on "Use Your Illusion." People are kind of set in their ways. ["Chinese Democracy"] is coming from all over the place.

From rollingstone back in 2000, on why he kept the band name

''It is something I lived by before these guys were in it. And there were other people in Guns N` Roses before them, you know. I contemplated letting go of that, but it doesn't feel right in any way. I am not the person who chose to try to kill it and walk away

''It's not an Axl Rose album, even if it's what I wanted it to be. Everybody is putting everything they've got into singing and building. Maybe I'm helping steer it to what it should be built like.''

Addressing the absence of his old band members, Rose suggests he simply needed to take control to survive.

''It is the old story that you are told when you're a kid: 'Don't buy a car with your friends,' ', he says with his eyes straight ahead.

''Nobody could get the wheel. Everybody had the wheel. And when you have a bunch of guys, I'm telling you, you are driving the car off the cliff. The reality is, go buy those guys' solo records. There are neat ideas and parts there, but they wouldn't have worked for a Guns N` Roses records.'' According to Rose, part of the delay in building the new model of Guns N` Roses has been ''educating myself'' about the technology that's come to define rock in the nineties: ''It's like from scratch, learning how to work with something and not wanting it just to be something you did on a computer.''

''Slash told me, 'I don't want to work that hard,' ''

Rollingstone on what the material sounded like back then, I think that may be a good comaparison to the demos.

Imagine Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor, and you'll have some sense of Axl's new sound. Song after song combines the edgy hard rock force and pop smarts of vintage Guns N Roses with surprisingly modern and ambitious music textures.

Axl on old GNR fans.

''I'd like to take some of the old Guns fans along with me gradually into the twenty-first century,''

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why I chose to do it that way is that, you know, I can sit and write poetry 'til hell freezes over, and getting attached to any particular set of words... I felt that I would write to those words in a dated fashion, and we really wouldn't get the best music. "Oh My God" is a perfect example. When we finally got "Oh My God" where it needed to be, then I got the right words to it. With "Appetite," I wrote a lot of the words first, but in, like, "Oh My God," I wrote the words second, but the music was written like "Appetite." We kept developing it until it we got it right. [With] "Appetite," everything had been worked on, and worked on, and worked on. That was not the case with "Use Your Illusion."

Hmm, considering that "Oh My God" is a piece of shit, maybe he should go back to the old strategy.

I'm tired of hearing about how anyone who doesn't like the new material isn't "advanced" enough for such "complex" music, or is stuck in the 80's. That's bullshit. Let's not act like Axl Rose is curing AIDS or even inventing a new form of music here, he's just mixing in some electronic elements into rock music..

"Hello Axl, this is Trent Reznor calling from 1989. I did that on a CD called 'Pretty Hate Machine'. It doesn't take 10 fuckin' years"

The sound Axl WAS going for would have been fresh if he haden't taken so long to release it, but at this point it's nearly outdated.

I like all of Axl's new stuff with the exception of junk like Silkworms and Rhiad which won't even make the final cut of CD. He's still a hell of a song writer. What bugs me about songs like Madagascar and The Blues is they are in need of some real guitar solos. The ones in the songs are cool, but they just aren't anything to get excited over. These are not solos people will be talking about years later like how people still get giddy over the outro to November Rain or the solos in Estranged....I never felt like his band was up to par with him, we all know Axl is talented, but every captain needs a good crew. A good captain with a shoddy crew can't save a sinking ship. My only fear for CD is that people like Finck are going to let him down. Right off the bat I can tell you, with better guitar solos Madagascar and The Blues would be much better than they are right now...

I'm tired of hearing about how anyone who doesn't like the new material isn't "advanced" enough for such "complex" music, or is stuck in the 80's. That's bullshit. Let's not act like Axl Rose is curing AIDS or even inventing a new form of music here, he's just mixing in some electronic elements into rock music..

Those were Alxs words.

I happen to think that his new stuff does push outside the comfort zone OGNR established for us fans as the template. Complex it may not be, but it is different from what we are used to hearing him do and he understood that some of the songs were going to do this, I'm pointing out that there is no need for people to assume any of the songs we heard were meant to be great in the classic sense

Edited by Nightcrawler

Hmm, considering that "Oh My God" is a piece of shit, maybe he should go back to the old strategy.

"Hello Axl, this is Trent Reznor calling from 1989. I did that on a CD called 'Pretty Hate Machine'. It doesn't take 10 fuckin' years"

The sound Axl WAS going for would have been fresh if he haden't taken so long to release it, but at this point it's nearly outdated.

dude, new inventions are made every day... i believe when the final product hits shelves, it will indeed be something we've never seen or heard of before.

it's going to be completely original, i bet.

Great interview, thanks for bringing that back...I never read it before.

Thanks Axl! Because I don't like Oh My God I must be a musical idiot! Now I can't wait to buy your album. It'll be like the monkey's in 2001 stroking the monolith, right?

What a fuckin' dick.

What were you reading? :question:

You guys should stop coming to these fucking boards if you don't like the music or the man.

I never understood why people go to message boards to complain. You won't see me going to velvetrevolverforum.com and telling them that Libertad is going to be a piece of shit.

Grow the fuck up.

Edit: I lost track of what I was going to post to begin with.

Thanks for posting that,it's a good read.

Edited by F*ck Fear

dude, new inventions are made every day... i believe when the final product hits shelves, it will indeed be something we've never seen or heard of before.

It will be original as in nobody has ever written these exact songs, but don't act like Axl is re-inventing the wheel, because he isn't. I hope CD comes out as a dance record...can't wait to hear all the Axl schmoozers claiming they love it...because the blind will follow Axl no matter where he leads them. I would rather wait and hear what the album sounds like before proclaiming Axl is God. Maybe it will be great and maybe it will suck, but none of us will know for sure until the actual version and not some demo is released.

It will be original as in nobody has ever written these exact songs, but don't act like Axl is re-inventing the wheel, because he isn't. I hope CD comes out as a dance record...can't wait to hear all the Axl schmoozers claiming they love it...because the blind will follow Axl no matter where he leads them. I would rather wait and hear what the album sounds like before proclaiming Axl is God. Maybe it will be great and maybe it will suck, but none of us will know for sure until the actual version and not some demo is released.

Like I have said,anyone expecting AFD 2 in the way that it's going to change the music world,you're expecting way too much.

And as much as I like Axl,I don't blindly follow. Silkworms,My World are utter shit.

But I like these new songs,and even the songs played live in 2002. Dance record? I wouldn't buy it.

hahahahhahahahah that was awesome

Like I have said,anyone expecting AFD 2 in the way that it's going to change the music world,you're expecting way too much.

And as much as I like Axl,I don't blindly follow. Silkworms,My World are utter shit.

But I like these new songs,and even the songs played live in 2002. Dance record? I wouldn't buy it.

I wasn't referring to you (or anyone) specifically - just seems like a lot of people would follow Axl off a cliff if that's where he went. I haven't heard any of the new stuff and was just joking about the dance record. I just want people to judge it once it comes out and not make all these decisions before ever hearing the album. Have an opinion of your own...don't borrow someone else's or have one just to be popular or to antagonize.

I've been a member of this forum for several years. I don't post frequently because for one there hasn't been a lot of news to talk about in the past three years, and two many of the posts and topics are completely idiotic. I'm not a fan of all the bashing that goes on in this forum and have never before taken part in it, but something has been really bothering me over the past few days. There are obviously many new members to the forum. Most have probably signed on because of the leaked tracks. That's great. More power to anybody that wants to support the band. But why in the hell would you take the time to fill out the little form to become a member (granted it only takes a moment) if the sole reason you are hear is to bash Axl and the band? It makes no sense to me that someone would take the time out of their day, time that could be better spent masturbating or watching American Idol, to post negative comments about GNR on a Guns N' Roses fan forum. The fact that someone would call Axl a "fuckin' dick" in one of his first posts is simply sophmoric. If the username "HisRoyalFatness" is your idea of a clever pun on Axl's weight, than I for one applaud your amazing comic insight. I'm quite sure that we will be seeing you doing your standup routine on Conan O' Brien any night now. More appropriately, the name probably applies to yourself and some desperate need for attention by making juvenile jokes at another's expense. Welcome to the Forum.

Peace out to the real Guns' fans, and fuck the rest of you.

Isn't that funny...the guy who wrote "that piece of shit" is now headlining pretty much every major festival this summer. Wierd, huh?

I wasn't referring to you (or anyone) specifically - just seems like a lot of people would follow Axl off a cliff if that's where he went. I haven't heard any of the new stuff and was just joking about the dance record. I just want people to judge it once it comes out and not make all these decisions before ever hearing the album. Have an opinion of your own...don't borrow someone else's or have one just to be popular or to antagonize.

I know man. I didn't take it as you were talking to me directly,I just posted my thoughts on what you said.

I do agree as well. I just think if the demos show where the record is heading,I'm happy with that.

I've been a member of this forum for several years. I don't post frequently because for one there hasn't been a lot of news to talk about in the past three years, and two many of the posts and topics are completely idiotic. I'm not a fan of all the bashing that goes on in this forum and have never before taken part in it, but something has been really bothering me over the past few days. There are obviously many new members to the forum. Most have probably signed on because of the leaked tracks. That's great. More power to anybody that wants to support the band. But why in the hell would you take the time to fill out the little form to become a member (granted it only takes a moment) if the sole reason you are hear is to bash Axl and the band? It makes no sense to me that someone would take the time out of their day, time that could be better spent masturbating or watching American Idol, to post negative comments about GNR on a Guns N' Roses fan forum. The fact that someone would call Axl a "fuckin' dick" in one of his first posts is simply sophmoric. If the username "HisRoyalFatness" is your idea of a clever pun on Axl's weight, than I for one applaud your amazing comic insight. I'm quite sure that we will be seeing you doing your standup routine on Conan O' Brien any night now. More appropriately, the name probably applies to yourself and some desperate need for attention by making juvenile jokes at another's expense. Welcome to the Forum.

I agree with this fucking post 100%

Fuck off if you don't like the music or the man,it's really that simple.

I think alot of the criticism Axl recieves from fans in terms of the wall of silence and secracy is valid, from a fans point of view, It's created alot of bitterness is alot of fans because it's gone on for so freakin long.

In terms of the new stuff I think there is a more critical ear applied to it because it's not instantly recognizable or catchy. People have a weird standard for music Guns n roses. It was a Hardrock band but people apply a pop standard to it. That's where Axl, like VR is running into a problem amoung fans.

In a simplification of terms Slash Duff and Matt were the Hardrock guys who didn't take themselves seriously, Axl the guy with pop sensibilties, not bubblegum pop, just pop in the way Paul McCartney was pop, and took himself a little more seriously.

With VR people got upset because they didn't record pop rock songs, they recording "boring" hard rock for the most part.

Axl is the more pop guy of the band and this stuff does have a pop feel to it , but then people are upset because it's not hardrock enough.

Kind of ironic.

Edited by Nightcrawler

I agree

I think alot of the criticism Axl recieves from fans in terms of the wall of silence and secracy is valid, from a fans point of view, It's created alot of bitterness is alot of fans because it's gone on for so freakin long.

In terms of the new stuff I think there is a more critical ear applied to it because it's not instantly recognizable or catchy. People have a weird standard for music Guns n roses. It was a Hardrock band but people apply a pop standard to it. That's where Axl, like VR is running into a problem amoung fans.

In a simplification of terms Slash Duff and Matt were the Hardrock guys who didn't take themselves seriously, Axl the guy with pop sensibilties, not bubblegum pop, just pop in the way Paul McCartney was pop, and took himself a little more seriously.

With VR people got upset because they didn't record pop rock songs, they recording "boring" hard rock for the most part.

Axl is the more pop guy of the band and this stuff does have a pop feel to it , but then people are upset because it's not hardrock enough.

Kind of ironic.

It is.

They get mad at Axl's vision,but it's clearly ok for VR to work with Pharell and Macy Gray :rolleyes:

I like Axl for his "exploring" vision,and I like VR for the hardrock element.

post of the day!

Post more!!

Fact is, you can be upset due to the lack of action in the GnR camp, but Axl doesn't owe you anything.

You can be po'd due to not liking the songs, but that is just your opinion.

And, for the love of God, it's ok to like GnR's new stuff as well as Velvet Revolver, for the Hard Rock vs. Exploratory rock reasons listed above.

I think I have every right to call Axl a fuckin' dick. That's what he is. He was a cool dick back in the AFD days when he'd pick fights with uncool dicks like Vince Neil and the dead guy from Nirvana. He was a cool dick when he'd have the balls say a bunch of racist, homophobic, sexist shit on albums. Now he's an uncool dick because he's arrogant and doesn't rock anymore.

F*ck Fear - being a fan of someone doesn't mean you have to choke down any bullshit they feed you can call it candy. Those are the kinds of people Axl's surrounded himself with for years and look where it's gotten him. No real tour. No real album.

As for "every" major summer festival - c'mon, you can't be seriously saying that. Rock In Rio? That's every summer festival now? Coachella, Bonnaroo, Vegas Bonaroor, Teluride, Lollapalooza... they don't count anymore? Big deal that Axl manages to scrape together his traveling side show for the same one concert year after year. When he can put out an album and play more than a handful of shows from a tour, maybe I'll change my mind. But if IRS is any indication, the album's going to suck anyways.

Believe me, there's nobody on this planet who'd want to see an Axl Rose comeback more than I do. But I just think it's many years off. Axl's going to have to get over himself, swallow his pride and admit that Izzy, Slash and the rest of the band had as much to do with the music as he did. Maybe when Chinese Democracy comes out and fails, it'll humble Axl to the point that he can mend fences with the old band mates. I'm ready for the Axl comeback, but I don't think it'll happen for another ten years.

For the record, I thought VR's album was weak, but at least they were putting out music. There were a couple of good riffs on there. From the interviews I've read, their new sprawling concept album sounds retarded.

And I've read mygnr.com for years. I only bothered posting when there was something worth talking about. Thanks Axl!

Yes, I like to make fun of Axl's weight. I'll make sure to send you a copy of my performance on Conan.

You sir, are a prick...best wishes and a very sincere fuck you. :P

F*ck Fear - being a fan of someone doesn't mean you have to choke down any bullshit they feed you can call it candy. Those are the kinds of people Axl's surrounded himself with for years and look where it's gotten him. No real tour. No real album.

That's fine,and I sure as hell ain't being fed fuck all.

My point is,why the fuck are you here if you are not a fan?